Jellycopters a-go-go

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jonah045, Jul 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This has probably been posted elsewhere, but the only newspaper I now trust came through the door today; Private Eye, and always read with interest the latest news from the Sandpit.

As we are now renting helicopters from Ukraine's answer to Rent-a-Wreck, probably spending as much as buying nice shiny new ones, it seems that my desire to laugh conflicts with my basic human decency as I recount the latest balls up.

Apparently a chartered Mi-26, the worlds largest helicopter was brought down by the Taliban killing all on board, ostensibly carrying humanitarian aid. In actuality it was carrying supplies to UK troops in Sangin when it was shot down. As it was a civvy contractor, the helicopter had no balistic protection, ECM or flares, in fact all the crew had to rely on were a bag of fireworks to lob out of the back to deflect heat seeking missiles!!

The charter company (Pecotox-Airi) has had it's operators license revoked in their own country and are under investigation by the UN and the CIA for all sorts of fraud and for suspected gun running. Doesn't seem to upset the MoD though eh, oh well, when has this country ever worried about the odd spot of dodgy dealing.
  2. my basic human decency

There's no place for you here, then! :D Seriously though, it would be funny if it weren't so ghastly. Poor b*stards must have been terrified...

It's a fairly withering indictment of society when 'Private Eye' is the only publication you can believe!
  3. Private Eye.The fount of all knowledge.
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Sierra Leone anyone?

We didn't mind too much then, but at that time, I believe it was an operational imperative due to time and political constraints . . . . .