Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by cent05zr70, Jan 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Toying with the idea of a Willys Jeep. Always fancied one, and I thought if I get the right deal I may as well go for it. The present rate of interest from banks is hardly worth bothering with, so why not.
    It would just be a "Toys for the boys" thing, and I doubt I'd do more than 2K pa.
    Pros and cons?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Haven't got one myself but my dad has several. They're good fun, one thing to consider is whether or not to go for the totally authentic WWII version or use more modern bits. If you go down the WWII bits only route you'll have to spend more for the authentic dates.etc and it'll have more bits that break more often, although still pretty reliable. If you do get one make sure you play with it fairly regularly otherwise they tend to suffer but I guess that's the same for most vehicles.
  3. If you want the WW2 look but with a bit more reliability... ie 24v electrics rather than 6v then look for a hotchkiss version , they look the same as the WW2 Willys but were made under licence inFrance uptill the early sixties , they should be a bit cheaper than a WW2 willys .... look to pay 8 to 10 thousand £ for a good one .
    As far as driving is concerned then you will get mid 20's mpg, the ride is bumpy, the brakes need a hefty shove and steering is a bit vague but its fun for a few hrs at a time.
    If you want an army jeep but are not worried if its WW2 style then go for a Willys M38A1 , used by the Cloggies uptill the late 80's , a better ride and a bit better driving position but still very much a Jeep , again has 24v electrics so starts every time. Big advantage of M38A1's is price .... about 4 to 6 thousand £ .
    If you look on YouTube at "Scott Military Vehicle New years eve road run " you will see an M38A1 leading the convoy and a Hotchkiss Jeep mid convoy ..... boys and toys ;-)
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Willeys schmillies.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Search for milweb and get spending.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Indeed there are plenty of military vehicles and jeeps to buy on MILWEB - Military Jeeps - Willys, Ford and Hotchkiss - MILWEB Classifieds
    And you can also find the clubs and shows for the military vehicle enthusiasts listed too.
    Jeeps are certainly proving a good investment,,,,, start with a Jeep and before you know it the urge is there to buy a Dodge, then a GMC and so it goes on....
  7. correct me if I happen to be wrong, but that looks like an Austin
  8. Champ.

Don't bother liking.
  9. Yes an Austin Champ, Britains immediate post war answer to the tried and tested jeep. Not the MoD Procurement Division's finest hour.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nothing to do with the MOD.
  11. Forget the Jeep, get yourself a willy!
  12. Dallas Auto Parts - These guys have been working Jeeps for a few generations now, started with his Granddad awhile back. Main choice will be if you want to rebuild or drive away. Current drive away is about £20,000.
  13. Jeep = Just Enough Essential Parts.....
  14. JEEP - Just Empty Every Pocket!