Jeep?

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Toying with the idea of a Willys Jeep. Always fancied one, and I thought if I get the right deal I may as well go for it. The present rate of interest from banks is hardly worth bothering with, so why not.
It would just be a "Toys for the boys" thing, and I doubt I'd do more than 2K pa.
Pros and cons?

Haven't got one myself but my dad has several. They're good fun, one thing to consider is whether or not to go for the totally authentic WWII version or use more modern bits. If you go down the WWII bits only route you'll have to spend more for the authentic dates.etc and it'll have more bits that break more often, although still pretty reliable. If you do get one make sure you play with it fairly regularly otherwise they tend to suffer but I guess that's the same for most vehicles.

If you want the WW2 look but with a bit more reliability... ie 24v electrics rather than 6v then look for a hotchkiss version , they look the same as the WW2 Willys but were made under licence inFrance uptill the early sixties , they should be a bit cheaper than a WW2 willys .... look to pay 8 to 10 thousand £ for a good one .
As far as driving is concerned then you will get mid 20's mpg, the ride is bumpy, the brakes need a hefty shove and steering is a bit vague but its fun for a few hrs at a time.
If you want an army jeep but are not worried if its WW2 style then go for a Willys M38A1 , used by the Cloggies uptill the late 80's , a better ride and a bit better driving position but still very much a Jeep , again has 24v electrics so starts every time. Big advantage of M38A1's is price .... about 4 to 6 thousand £ .
If you look on YouTube at "Scott Military Vehicle New years eve road run " you will see an M38A1 leading the convoy and a Hotchkiss Jeep mid convoy ..... boys and toys ;-)

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Champ.

Don't bother liking.

Toying with the idea of a Willys Jeep. Always fancied one, and I thought if I get the right deal I may as well go for it. The present rate of interest from banks is hardly worth bothering with, so why not.
It would just be a "Toys for the boys" thing, and I doubt I'd do more than 2K pa.
Pros and cons?
Forget the Jeep, get yourself a willy!

Dallas Auto Parts - These guys have been working Jeeps for a few generations now, started with his Granddad awhile back. Main choice will be if you want to rebuild or drive away. Current drive away is about £20,000.

Did you get one ? I got mine about 18 months ago after the current Missus said stop bleating on about it and get a Bloody Jeep ! It's officially a 1955 Hotchkiss but has the Chassis and engine of a 1944 Willys MB and any amount of Ford and Hotchkiss bits in it. Originally imported by a copper who like dressing up and playing Armies, he "Restored" it, mostly by painting over anything that looked like it needed repairing and apparently putting a subtle mix of oil and water In the gearbox.......be careful what you buy. Dallas Autos (shameless plug) Steve and James, father and son team who, when I discovered the teeth on first gear looked like a Crack whores gob suggested that rather than paying them to fix it, why didn't I have a go my self, much cheaper and they would be happy to offer advice and any bits I needed. So I took off and rebuilt it myself ! Easy peasy. !
Anyway there was a litany of Pre owner disasters to rectify, now she's on the road, painted up Brit stylee and I'm well chuffed. Bonus (or down side if your after one) is the value is rocketing ! I paid 7k for her not registered or MOT'd, now going rate for a decent Hodg is about 11k and for a Pucker Willys or Ford your looking at mid teens. Bare in mind that in 2006 when I was pushing the now Ex witch/wife to invest my pension, you could get a good enough one for 2-3k ! Biatch !
Bits are freely available although original parts will cost top dollar, eBay is your friend, and if you want one take along someone who knows what to look for.....do it do it do it !

url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/140/img0381uj.jpg/]
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Actually if you look here, there's a few more photos of some of this summers push to get her done

RC Tank Regiment • View topic - 1:1 Scale woes...an Update

Cheers
Nick

If your over 5'4" and are a bit portly you may find the driving position a bit cramped. First car I drove was a Jeep it was fine when I was ten. Squeezed myself into one last year. Boy they have shrunk.

The Champ always looked the business but as usual anything the army wants gets over specified. Very fast backwards apparently. Played with one on Abersoch beach in the 80's. Tons of fun and took loads of abuse unlike it's reputation.

If you want a warry 4x4 go for a landie. Series1's are fun and practical. Withams have still got some snatch in for restoration if you fancy riding around with a confidential help line number on the side.

I think you're right. Champ developed privately by Austin in the hope of getting the military orders?

And there was also this from Austin:
This a Gypsy ? There is or was one for sale on the MVT website recently. As for Jeep seat size, I only just realised mine has a bit of extra tube welded both sides of the drivers seat, for the larger driver. Wondered why me arrse was hanging off the back.

I helped a chap with a Champ to do a bit of restoration, it don't half purr along, quite a capable little truck, if not a bit thirsty.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
halomonkey Forces Discounts 0
vandyke The NAAFI Bar 109
jonwilly Military History and Militaria 6