JCHAT. Forms for 9 Liners, 10 Liners R2 etc.

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by BuggerAll, Nov 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm involved in a series of EX that use JCHAT in a stand alone intranet. I've used NATO JCHAT which has preset forms for things like 9 and 10 Liners and various R2 and wondered if anyone knows how to build the forms on JCHAT or is there anywhere I could get a copy.

I've tried Google and it wasn't helpful.
  2. We just had the forms laid out in excel then once filled were cut and pasted into notepad to make sure it was formatted properly and then cut and pasted from notepad to Jchat.

This was in an operational ops room and it worked well.
  3. BuggerAll

We've been free writing them in word and then cutting a pasting. I like the idea of excell form if I can't find how to build the forms on JCHAT.
  4. JCHAT is sooooooo last year. It's all about TCHAT now!
  5. Free write them on paper, then call for 'Speckled Jim'.
    Now with added rockets...
  6. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Is TCHAT on OT?
  7. BuggerAll

The problem on JCHAT is that when you can't format things with new lines because using the enter key sends your transmission. It is very difficult to read a 9 liner or other form that is sent on one line. I found the only way was to copy/paste it into word and re-format it.
  8. BuggerAll

I though TCHAT was something to do with the twatterati. Perhaps you know too much.
  9. PM me your definition of OT.
  10. C_F I disagree with writing them out being quicker, of course this is just my experience working as a JCHAT operator (or what ever the "proper" term is) on Herrick. Especially as having a pre laid out format ensures that the entire TF is singing of the same song sheet and reduces the amount of calls you get from Bde asking why things aren't formatted correctly.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. just laminate the format to the monitor, or keep a AM nearby.
  12. Which doesn't solve the formatting problem. No one has said they don't know what information is needed for the reports simply that they are required to be formatted in a certain way.
  13. Thinking about it.

I think our chaps used notepad.

No reason you couldn't type and send each line.
  14. It's easier to receive it in a oner as this makes it easier for cutting pasting into logs and means there's no chance of another message breaking the report up.
  15. I think he's talking about Overtask within the Afghan Mission Network. It's not sensitive - plenty of stuff on the web about it.