JCHAT. Forms for 9 Liners, 10 Liners R2 etc.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm involved in a series of EX that use JCHAT in a stand alone intranet. I've used NATO JCHAT which has preset forms for things like 9 and 10 Liners and various R2 and wondered if anyone knows how to build the forms on JCHAT or is there anywhere I could get a copy.

I've tried Google and it wasn't helpful.

Z

Zarathustra

We just had the forms laid out in excel then once filled were cut and pasted into notepad to make sure it was formatted properly and then cut and pasted from notepad to Jchat.

This was in an operational ops room and it worked well.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We've been free writing them in word and then cutting a pasting. I like the idea of excell form if I can't find how to build the forms on JCHAT.

Free write them on paper, then call for 'Speckled Jim'.

Now with added rockets...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Serious head on.

Learn how to write them (even with an aide memoire next to the screen) miles quicker. Non of this, let's format them in excell, then put it on youtube, then put it on a stick and runaround the helipad then send it.
The problem on JCHAT is that when you can't format things with new lines because using the enter key sends your transmission. It is very difficult to read a 9 liner or other form that is sent on one line. I found the only way was to copy/paste it into word and re-format it.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I though TCHAT was something to do with the twatterati. Perhaps you know too much.

Z

Zarathustra

C_F I disagree with writing them out being quicker, of course this is just my experience working as a JCHAT operator (or what ever the "proper" term is) on Herrick. Especially as having a pre laid out format ensures that the entire TF is singing of the same song sheet and reduces the amount of calls you get from Bde asking why things aren't formatted correctly.

just laminate the format to the monitor, or keep a AM nearby.

Z

Zarathustra

just laminate the format to the monitor, or keep a AM nearby.
Which doesn't solve the formatting problem. No one has said they don't know what information is needed for the reports simply that they are required to be formatted in a certain way.

Thinking about it.

I think our chaps used notepad.

No reason you couldn't type and send each line.

Z

Zarathustra

Thinking about it.

I think our chaps used notepad.

No reason you couldn't type and send each line.
It's easier to receive it in a oner as this makes it easier for cutting pasting into logs and means there's no chance of another message breaking the report up.

P

PrinceAlbert

I think he's talking about Overtask within the Afghan Mission Network. It's not sensitive - plenty of stuff on the web about it.
I know what Overtask is. Also called MS. The S part of MS should give you a clue as to its sensitivity.

Hence I'm not going to talk about TCHAT to someone on an open forum, especially if I've had no evidence that when he says OT, he's actually talking about Overtask.

I know what Overtask is. Also called MS. The S part of MS should give you a clue as to its sensitivity.

Hence I'm not going to talk about TCHAT to someone on an open forum, especially if I've had no evidence that when he says OT, he's actually talking about Overtask.
I'll be surprised if I'm not a lot more familiar with it and what is and isn't sensitive about it. The name, the fact that it's part of AMN and the fact it has a chat facility are not sensitive in any way. The fact that the word Secret appears in one of the informal names for it doesn't make its existence sensitive, any more than the fact that Bowman is a secure system is considered a secret. God help us from people who try and make stuff that's already pretty complicated and inaccessible, even more so.

Good luck on other stuff but on this subject you're over reaching your knowledge. Your caution on the specific point is wholly unnecessary. And if it had been sensitive then inviting a pm exchange on it wouldn't have been very bright, now would it?

Yeah, you're right. I know **** all about Overtask, you must know way more then me.
I don't know what you know about it. But if you think the existence of Overtask, wider Mission Secret networks or JCHAT are sensitive then you certainly know less than you suggested in the post in which you tried to patronise me. If you're any good on operating the system then how about helping the OP with how to get formatted messages into JCHAT?

For Buggerall, I think the suggestion on cutting and pasting from Word is the top tip. I can't see any benefit in using Excel then formatting it in Notepad as it takes longer. In an ideal world JCHAT would allow multi-line formatted messages. In technical terms it could, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.