Jazz to funk and back again thread

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BoomShackerLacker, Dec 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's time for a Jazz/funk, jazz and funk thread... especially to counteract any offensive rock and metal (ewwww 'get behind thee Satan'!) - from Coltrane and Brubeck to Level 42 to The Fatback Band - there is a home here:

My Favourite Things

Bus Stop (my Christmas CD!) (note how to conserve energy whilst drumming!)
  2. Well, if you insist, takes me back to The Strand, Portstewart somewhere in 1980/81 when this stuff was everywhere on 12 inchers (we wish). Westminster Records, The Chimes, american imports and nothing from the charts or you were square :lol: Zoot suits, double breasted shirts and those funny trousers with pleats and turn-ups ( oh the shame ) :oops:

The best of British Jazz Funk LP (yes, LP) and people such as
    Incognito, Beggar and Co, Lonnie Liston Smith, Roy Ayers, George Benson, Change, Level 42, Ronnie Laws, Beggar and Co, Savanna, Jocelyn Brown, Gwen Guthrie, The Crusaders, D-Train... and it goes on and on.

Chr+st that got me thinking :lol:

3. One of the best shops I ever got to for my Jazz Funk was Groove Records in Soho, American imports, Japanese cutouts, top dollar for top 12" vinyl, every Friday afternoon was spent there after work at 14.30. Mate at the time was a freelancer for Blues and Soul magazine, we used to get freebies for all kinds of gigs, one of the best and funniest was Mezzoforte, an Icelandic JF band at Ronnie Scotts, their manager met us at the door, loaded us up with beer and we watched the gig, we left plastered with a free cd of the band, following day we couldn't remember waht the band were like, so he wrote the report based on the cd.
  4. The old memory is whirring with a bit of Port oil now :eek:

There was some right old sh+te about too. That new romantic stuff wasn't the real deal. Buying Jazz Funk was a bit like Car Boot sales, it took a while to sort through the crap. Sometimes you got a gem and not a ringer :wink:

And what was that illicit London radio in station in the 80's ? JazzFM or something? we used to get the tapes off mates when they came back off leave. Cowell and Co haven't got a feckin clue have they... :lol: :lol:

Beggar and Co: