"Jaw dropping" crash in global birth rate.

Lot's more distrations in life, lower (adjusted) wages than say 40 years ago, expensive western housing costs, the social pressure for a career + a whole raft of other things.
Out of my social group of say 10 guys (most married or in long term relationships), only two of us are parents.
It seems modern western life is all about making the big bucks to buy crap. Just a shame that it's not until you are in your mid thirties that you realise it's all guff and you take on interests that don't cost the earth...generally!
And raising kids is HARD! Imagine you are 22 and someone told you that you are going to end your life as you know it for the next 16-18 years (actually you don't get it back). No wonder parenthood is not soemthing on anyones radar when they are young anymore (stand fast the benefits class).

I have a similar thing with friends of my age group ranging from 58 to 76 ish. Many of them have not had children. It is only within the last ten years or so that they have started to express regret over that. These range from high end professionals ( couple of surgeons) to manual labourers. Whilst I have been lucky to have children, I have not had the whizzy things that seem so important nowadays. No regrets although, as you say, it has been rather hard.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
I’d like to take much of the credit, in that my two are such a pair of shites that they’re able to effectively deter would-be parents out to 2km.

I’d like to take much of the credit, in that my two are such a pair of shites that they’re able to effectively deter would-be parents out to 2km.

Have had the same experiences. Have overcome it with a mixture of bullshit and discipline with a small smattering of understanding so they more or less function as responsible citizens and have got decent jobs and stuff.

AT this stage in my life, I think if they **** up again, they are on their own.

Lot's more distrations in life, lower (adjusted) wages than say 40 years ago, expensive western housing costs, the social pressure for a career + a whole raft of other things.
Out of my social group of say 10 guys (most married or in long term relationships), only two of us are parents.
It seems modern western life is all about making the big bucks to buy crap. Just a shame that it's not until you are in your mid thirties that you realise it's all guff and you take on interests that don't cost the earth...generally!
And raising kids is HARD! Imagine you are 22 and someone told you that you are going to end your life as you know it for the next 16-18 years (actually you don't get it back). No wonder parenthood is not soemthing on anyones radar when they are young anymore (stand fast the benefits class).

TBH, we (as a society) need to address this pretty soon. It's a bit like that argument that a man will earn more than his wife over the course of his life becuase she will have to take many years out to raise kids (if they have them), without realsing her husband will be comitting much more of his wage to raising the family so it actually evens out in the long term.

I doubt many people ever philosophize long enough to realise that the cult of consumerism is just a meaningless scam. There's certainly some truth to retail therapy, but so many people nowadays believe that materialism is everything. Isn't a good wage an indicator of success? It doesn't matter what you do, it matters how much you earn. And that's really what's wrong with society.

Go to any major shopping centre and look around, shops are the new cathedrals. This is certainly apparent in places like Bluewater, Westfield and Lakeside where they've even included statues and giant atriums. In the Middle Ages people built cathedrals to show how spiritual they were, in our age we've built shopping centres to show what we can buy.

The rot is also embedded within education, we don't teach kids to think or serve their community, we teach them to make as much money as possible and that a high wage is the only measure of success.

Unfortunately this is having a negative affect upon society. Mental health is a major problem cos we're teaching kids to place value in meaningless crap. It's also nigh on impossible to start a family without parental support. How many young people of about 20-22 can afford to pay rent, run a car and feed a young family on a single wage? The idea of saving for a mortgage would also be out of the question, especially in the SE.

The other problem is all these new born babies from sub Saharan Africa will be heading this way in the future, so as British people have fewer children the population will be replaced by the billions coming from Africa. That will be the end of Europe.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Have had the same experiences. Have overcome it with a mixture of bullshit and discipline with a small smattering of understanding so they more or less function as responsible citizens and have got decent jobs and stuff.

AT this stage in my life, I think if they **** up again, they are on their own.

couldn't agree more, although as mine are both under 10, I’m happy if they would just not shit on the floor and spend a little less time on youtube :D

Interesting article,

Falling fertility rates mean nearly every country could have shrinking populations by the end of the century.

It would appear that it's not only 1st world countries that will have a drop in the birth rate. How will economies cope with the ever increasing average age of the population?
However Africa it seems will still grow.

The population of sub-Saharan Africa is expected to treble in size to more than three billion people by 2100.
And the study says Nigeria will become the world's second biggest country, with a population of 791 million.
Prof Murray says: "We will have many more people of African descent in many more countries as we go through this.

There will have to be a fundemental change in financing and indeed attitudes to sub saharan Africa.
Most of us reading this won't be effected, but our grandchildren will.

Why does there have, "to be a fundamental change in financing and indeed attitudes to sub-Saharan Africa"?

Why does there have, "to be a fundamental change in financing and indeed attitudes to sub-Saharan Africa"?
It depends on what the change in financing and attitudes involves? Cutting all finance /aid, a change of attitude to sort thine own shit out we have our own problems a complete ban on immigration from the turd world and trade with them if it suits us.
Bring the changes.

This is where we need a bus load of nurses to do our civic duty and repopulate the planet
If they arrive . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Whenever I see these wot the future will be like stories I think of those 19th century pictures of people in top hats riding pedal powered flying machines "in the year 2000". It's made up bollaux pretending to be news.
I thought the year 2000 was hover cars, silver -coloured overalls and a three course meal in pill format? Or did I miss it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have a similar thing with friends of my age group ranging from 58 to 76 ish. Many of them have not had children. It is only within the last ten years or so that they have started to express regret over that. These range from high end professionals ( couple of surgeons) to manual labourers. Whilst I have been lucky to have children, I have not had the whizzy things that seem so important nowadays. No regrets although, as you say, it has been rather hard.
Never too late, 2 adult kids from a previous marriage and a new sprog due in a month or so!

I turn 54 this month :D

I think the cheridsees were gearing up for a mass public scroungathon to raise funds for Africa, etc.

IMHO. they can jog on.
Quite. Why should we sponsor Chinese colonies?

it's all the fault of lesbians and gays not having enough children.

walks away having lit the blue touch paper
I understand that nett growth are in births through surrogacy and external adoption by same sex couples. There's an army lesbian couple up the road and one is pregnant. A neighbouring gay couple now have three kids. A nice bunch, too. Great with soft furnishings and the garden is fabulous.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I understand that nett growth are in births through surrogacy and external adoption by same sex couples. There's an army lesbian couple up the road and one is pregnant. A neighbouring gay couple now have three kids. A nice bunch, too. Great with soft furnishings and the garden is fabulous.

shush, you are ruining the joke.

I was also going to link in with bad weather being caused by them too, but it's been nice lately.

so maybe hetro people are causing good weather? so global warming is down to not enough gay people cancelling out the warm hetro weather?

If only there was a site expert on gayness

Last edited:

Latest Threads