"Jaw dropping" crash in global birth rate.

Interesting article,

Falling fertility rates mean nearly every country could have shrinking populations by the end of the century.

It would appear that it's not only 1st world countries that will have a drop in the birth rate. How will economies cope with the ever increasing average age of the population?
However Africa it seems will still grow.

The population of sub-Saharan Africa is expected to treble in size to more than three billion people by 2100.
And the study says Nigeria will become the world's second biggest country, with a population of 791 million.
Prof Murray says: "We will have many more people of African descent in many more countries as we go through this.

There will have to be a fundemental change in financing and indeed attitudes to sub saharan Africa.
Most of us reading this won't be effected, but our grandchildren will.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
A dose of instant sunshine in central Nigeria is what is needed.

Getting on for a billion of them does not bear thinking about.

This is where we need a bus load of nurses to do our civic duty and repopulate the planet

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Whenever I see these wot the future will be like stories I think of those 19th century pictures of people in top hats riding pedal powered flying machines "in the year 2000". It's made up bollaux pretending to be news.

Whenever I see these wot the future will be like stories I think of those 19th century pictures of people in top hats riding pedal powered flying machines "in the year 2000". It's made up bollaux pretending to be news.
Possibly, but its the kind of thing that keeps a roomful of hyperactive SO1s out of mischief.

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 11.31.56.png

it's all the fault of lesbians and gays not having enough children.

walks away having lit the blue touch paper

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
good, there's too many of us as there is.

NSP

LE
Falling fertility rates mean nearly every country could have shrinking populations by the end of the century.
And not before time. Nature redressing the balance of an overpopulated planet perchance...?

Interesting article,

It would appear that it's not only 1st world countries that will have a drop in the birth rate. How will economies cope with the ever increasing average age of the population?
However Africa it seems will still grow.

The population of sub-Saharan Africa is expected to treble in size to more than three billion people by 2100.
And the study says Nigeria will become the world's second biggest country, with a population of 791 million.
Prof Murray says: "We will have many more people of African descent in many more countries as we go through this.

There will have to be a fundemental change in financing and indeed attitudes to sub saharan Africa.
Most of us reading this won't be effected, but our grandchildren will.
The film Idiocracy seems ever more like a warning...

The tone of the BBC article is interesting, in that it actually acknowledges that there might be problems, whereas a few years ago there might have been barely disguised delight at various Malthusian scenarios actually coming to pass.

I'm reminded of George Monbiot writing an article in the late 00s about how a recession would be a good thing, and then (when a recession did come) writing how terrible it was and why wasn't the government doing anything? And he was not very happy when people started commenting that surely this was what he had wanted, so why was he now complaining?

In similar fashion, as the effects of the drop in birth rate start to express themselves, in both predictable and unpredictable ways, I wonder how many who were previously of one opinion will start to wake up to the effects not (probably) on them but on their children and grand children.

Unless of course by that point the robots are doing everything ... I for one will shamelessly grovel before our new cybernetic overlords.

Mattb

LE
Agreed.

It'll cause it's own problems, but ultimately it's a good thing - we need fewer people, not more; and given that mass-murder (or even letting people die from natural disasters) is generally frowned-upon then not having them in the first place is the way to go.

It does mean that old people will need to stay fitter and healthier for longer though... so enforced fizz for everyone under 80 I reckon. "Twice round my beautiful body.... go!"

Last edited:

exspy

LE
I worry about all those disenfranchised Nigerian princes who will be trying to get their rightful inheritances back, but will need financial help from those in the first world. With the number of Nigerian princes increasing and the number stupid white people decreasing, how will they cope?

If what I heard yesterday about COVID-19 in Sub-Saharan Africa is correct, then instant sunshine will not be needed.
Really? At the moment it seems like the US, Brazil and the UK are the only ones coughing our last in the metaphorical Crimean Hospital while everyone else has basically larged it up.

If what I heard yesterday about COVID-19 in Sub-Saharan Africa is correct, then instant sunshine will not be needed.
Why? Not many fatties, not many oldies, not many sickies...

Awol

LE
Tell me more. I’ve been saying for months that Africa is being decimated by Covid, and the only reason we’re not hearing about it is because reporters are staying the hell away.

Latest Threads