Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr Happy, Jul 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

This is an article I read here: http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/pilum-high-the-javelin-anti-armor-missile-03440/#program and I thought it interesting enough that you might enjoy the read too!

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I noticed that! Probably a special price for US army and ermm, oil providing friends, a seperate price for Brits... Or at least when we ordered it the GBP-USD FX rate was 1:1.4 vs 1:2.02 as it is now..
  3. So dropping the clu out of a third storey window would be a very bad thing I take it .Not that I ever nearly did that :oops: .
    I thought the 66 worked well in nam .I read when it first turned up the idea that it could kill tanks was disbelived .So some special forces instructor went out took one out with it .Then everyone wanted a go .
    Having seen modern MBT do there thing anyone wanting to have a go at them with some form of law anywhere other than fibua is going to die ,but,
    law type weapons are still useful for all sort of tasks .Javelin is a bit exspensive for what we are using it for,but,there are no other precison
    attack weapons the infantry have .
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I don't know any stories re 66 + Nam but... I suspec the US problem with it was more accuracy than bang.
  5. Ah...that'll be a rhetorical question :)
  6. [​IMG]
    MBT-LAW, guided, "cheaper", probably what will be used more often then the Javelin when it come's into service.
  7. I seem to recall Texas Instruments had to repay the US DoD a chunk of cash as Texas had sourced some cheaper electronices without letting DoD know. DoD got quite miffed and sued on the grounds that Texas had breeched contract and won.....

Wonder if MoD ever thought of this....
  8. My pal missed the wall with a 66 in the UOTC and the graze fuse went off at a shallow angle strike - f'kin scarey. Big streak of flame/plasma along the ground, and they weighed fanny adams (4.8lb).

I just refuse to believe that it's impossible to rig a cheap system that would allow you to designate a target with a laser and then have the electronics tell the mortar tube when it's in the right position.

Think about it - little plastic "rifle" with a laser pointer/range finder and GPS. Reason tells you that for any target in range of a mortar tube there must be a position for the tube that will result in the bomb striking. Point the "rifle" and paint the target. The GPS knows where the tube is, it now knows where the target is, cheap electronics tells the tube what position it needs, Number Two moves the loaded tube until it indicates it's bang on, and one second later it fires.

Cost of 10lb of HE on target - couple of hundred quid. To mirror the range of the Javelin you would only need a thin aluminium low pressure, low velocity tube. The rest of the stuff wouldn't be dear either.

But why have a cheap and simple solution when a complicated and expensive one will do :D

Mr B. Wallis (I wish)