JARROD......next time you think about your pension !!!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sebcoe, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Feck me no wonder the NHS costs, and you lot want better pensions FFS

NHS workers took 15 days off sick

NHS workers took an average of 15 days sick leave last year, figures suggest.

The 1.04 million NHS workers in England were absent from work for a combined 15.56 million days between 2011 and 2012.

However, the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) said the rate of absence due to sickness has fallen. From 2010 to 2011 NHS staff, excluding GPs and practice staff, took about 15.95 million days off sick, and the year before it was 16.75 million.

The HSCIC said that qualified ambulance workers recorded the highest rate of sickness absence days and doctors recorded the lowest.

The higher paid the NHS worker, the fewer sick days they are likely to take, figures suggest.

HSCIC chief executive Tim Straughan said: "This information is vital to estimating lost days within the country's largest workforce.

"Today's report shows that generally, sickness absence has fallen compared to three years ago, with the sickness absence rate falling from 4.40% in 2009/10 to about 4.12% in 2011/12. Qualified ambulance workers have the highest rate of sickness absence of any NHS staff group while the 'other doctors in training' group has the lowest."

A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "We know healthier, more engaged staff provide better care for patients.

"Reducing sickness absence in the NHS by one third would save £555 million per year which could then be reinvested in front line services and improve the quality of patient care.

"Overall, NHS sickness absence has fallen in 2011/12 compared to the previous year. We remain committed to work with NHS employers, trade unions and staff to promote healthy workplaces and reduce the number of sick days
  2. There is of course sickness and sickness!

I would have every expectation that ambulance service workers would have higher rates of absence that those who simply turn up to do office work!

The usful breakdowns of sickness would be into self signed off due to minor ailments, and those signed off by doctors.

I suspect the rates in admin roles are far higher for the first category than their front-liners in the ambulance service or in A&E departments.

If they reflect social services offices I have had the pleasure to visit, not a few times did I overhear discussions around ssues such as: "I'd love to come, I wonder how many sick days I have left?"
  3. That's nice dear, it's more than ten years since I took a day off sick and never take all my leave.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

hospitals and surgeries are full of contagious sick people so no wonder they pass it on. the higher paid they are the less contact they they have with said unclean individuals.

considering jarrods hobbies and side line proctology business he is surprisingly healthy I reckon. :)

they should perhaps list how many parents have sick and family days during the year.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

I often thought we should adopt the aussie legal right to one sick day a month or the pratchett one of 1 grandma's funeral a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I have contracted for local authorities, and its the same the think their sick entitlement is holiday bonus....Cnuts
  7. Would be more usefull to know the break down between clinical staff, trust staff and PCT/STHA staff as were. NHS is a big organisation and I see they don't include GP and Practice staff, where being small and usually not subject to NHSS AfC T&Cs have very low absence rates by comparison
  8. Grumblegrunt

my missus (inland revenue) is continuously penalised by her bitch boss for having taken time off sick for an contagious chest infection 3 years ago, 2 years before her boss joined the team!!

and yet she has the best record for sickness and results in the office and the bristol parent.
  9. Grumblegrunt

maybe the hospitals should hold a sick parade at half 8 every morning :)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Bloke next door to me when I was growing up was some kind of civvy storeman at an RAF Station, although he walted it as a "top safety equipment fitter". He had exactly the same attitude.

I've also overheard a Unison Rep asking one of her member what was wrong as the member hadn't taken "all her sick days". The member explained she hadn't been sick, but the Unison Bod was trying to persuade her to take the time as it could be self-certified; she might like a little break; and she was showing up all the other members by having such a good attendance record.
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Surely if you spend your days mucking around with sick people, you either end up with a bullet proof immune system, or you get sick a fair bit?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. One of our civvies in NI actually believed that his sick leave was holiday entitlement and took the full amount every year with out fail
  13. The Midwifery Community office where my wife works has just had the Manager and a Midwife off for 5½ months each simultaniously. The manager went off with stress brought on by a tiff with the Midwife who convinently went off sick for an Op on her hand.

Even after a couple of months after her Op, it didn't either dawn on Occy Health to ask her to return to work just to answer the phone and offer advice, or they couldn't be bothered. Didn't stop her doing gardening during the day on full pay and telling everyone on Facebook about it too :x

The only reason they both returned to work was because they would have gone on ½ pay at the 6 month point.

Shocking state of affairs
  14. Our work has a Bradford factor (google it) scheme, 100+ points gets your bum felt up for a "councelling" session and 50% taken off any annual bonus, however 3 instances totalling 11 days gets you into "The 99" club, one lad has been on 99 points for the last 7 yrs.
    For every line drawn in the sand someone will always be right on the limit!
  15. That's my feelings on the matter, when I was younger I was always picking up bugs, especially chest infections. Now I'm slightly more mature I seem to suffer very little illness.