'JARHEAD' The Movie

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by WEATHERMAN1956, Jan 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ought to be a good'en!

8)

2. Iam with you on that one Weatherman,should be a good film as the book was good just hope they don't ruin it with typical hoolywood bulls***t :!:

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I didn't think it was that hot during the GW, but then I didn't tab into Iraq with 100lbs of crap in my bergen either...

Seriously, I read the book and was not impressed, just some soul searching ramblings with no end if I recall. How it turns out in Hollywood is anyones guess but I can't imagine it'll be worse.

4. Just seen this. Surprised no one else has said anything about it yet. Bloody funny in parts and painful in others. Anyone read the book?

5. I read the book last year prior to the film and surprise, surprise it is much better. The back and forth style between the times of his life work far better in print. Also as per most films sacrifices have had to be made to cut it down to 2 hours of film time, so characters combined and the his first couple of tours in the West Pacific left out. I enjoyed the movie and as a depiction of the US Marines I think those of us who have worked with them would not think it too far off the mark in depicting their ethos. However I would recommend the book to anyone as a thoroughly good read.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Read the book and thought whilst it was accurate it was a poor story (by which I mean, not matter how accurate it was, it was just a tour and nothing exceptional happened), hundreds of folks on this website probably have more interesting stories of their own to tell. I will see the movie, if only for completeness.

7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I know what you mean. I am working on my own book. As a Cold War Warrior, the story is nothing special and if hundreds of others were to bother, it'd be lost in the wave, but I reckon it'd sell a few. I'd like to think you lot would buy it, read it, say "Yeah, yeah, been there, done that," and so on and some civvies would pick up a copy. And I'd take the money and run.

I reckon I can make it readable enough and interesting enough.

;o)

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If you can do that you'll have managed more than Jarhead's author...

9. I watched this on Friday........Although funny in places with the inevetible 'squaddie humour' that seems to transend nations, I was very disapointed in the lack of good old fashioned 'war fighting'!

War films should have bullets flying, bombs exploding etc.

As has already been stated it was just a tour, nothing more, nothing less! Except for the burning oil and that poor horse!

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If I recall, in Jarhead the book the hero's never dropped anybody. Is that the case in the movie or did they throw in a bodycount for good measure?

11. Nope....no body count, although there was a blue on blue!

12. It was a good film, IMO.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Yeah the book mention that during an aifield assault there was a B2B

14. I enjoyed it, some funny stuff, some recognisable stuff, some iffy american stuff.
    Not a Shoot em up film but If you've ever had a Gronk board or a chuff chart you'll probably enjoy it.

Americans will IMHO continue to be a bunch of scary lunatics worth avoiding in any theatre!!

Worth a trip as long as you don't spunk a tenner on a hotdog and 5 litres of fizzy sugary water

toodlepip
    thegimp

15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

can't believe spunk isn't a banned word....