Jaqui Smith - Terror threat to UK is growing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The home secretary has described the terrorism threat facing the UK as "severe" and "growing".

Ms Smith said security services were investigating up to 30 terror plots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7344925.stm

2. "What you need if you've got an increase in plots is the right quantum of resources for both the police and the intelligence services to track and disrupt the plots - and that's a question of bringing resources to bear."
    Who believes Brown will provide enough resources?

3. thats because she is sh1t at her job along with the rest of the cabinet :roll:

4. Seeing that he is, along with the rest of his vile cronies, the most likely target, I would have thought that the allocation of extra pennies would be quite likely :lol:

5. is it just me or have NuLiarburr now fully adopted US republican style 'constant fear' alarmism?
    keep the populance on edge with a never ending series of over egged threats?
    you would honestly think they were trying to distract attention away from other issues......... like mismanaged dodgy sycophantic corrupt government..

[​IMG]

6. And which important news outlet did Ms. Smith pick to convey the pressing news?

:roll: The News of the World. :roll:

I suppose it's about par for the course. Amongst the tits, dodgy vicars, showbiz scandals and other important and ominous threats to our very existence.

It wouldn’t wash in the broadsheets, so where else do you cynically go about whipping up a false climate of fear? Step forward Rupert.

Spin is alive and well and Jacqui Smith seems to be dizzier than the rest of her colleagues.

7. Oh, very James Bond... :roll:

She's a fcuking Walt - BURN HER! :twisted:

8. Nearly right!

Whenever a Minister produces a press release or makes an announcement it is generally done for the sole purpose of seeking to elicit public support for something nasty. They release such statements to favoured journalists in the client press for just that purpose. Some journalists ought to know better by now.

They do it all the time. Ministers know that their MPs are avid readers of the press and such announcements are aimed as much at them as it is to the public. It is pure 'sleight of hand' and typical New Labour!

In this case, the statement is released because Jacqui Smith's Counter Terrorism Bill containing measures to increase detention without charge to 42 days and to gag the coroners is being heard by Parliamentary Commitee on Tuesday and they need all the support they can get for it!

New Labour ought to know by now that the general public are not as stupid as Ministers would wish to believe and that the public 'rumbled' the device of the timed tactical release of 'spin' some time ago.

The Bill is in for a rough ride in Parliament and the Home Scretary knows it and all of the 'scare' stories in the world will not assist her!

The Home Office need to 'grow up' and present their arguments properly which, judging by the quality of the debate last week on the second reading, they look like losing!

9. quantum n 2: (physics) the smallest quantity of some physical property that a system can possess.

So they're saying that their response to this "growing" and "severe" threat is to use the absolute minimum of resources?

That's hardly news.

10. if the threat is real, fuking deal with it, dont dilly dally around warning folk, strike hard and fast. Stop hanging us out to dry with scare mongering s tories of maybe, its likely, or sometime in the future, so you have put the whole country on alert (for what) a small chance that a sausage factory maybe the target of some anti pork protest. get a grip woman, sh1t or get off the pot! if you want us on your side treat us like real people or fukc off

11. I think it is very interesting that at the same time that they are saying "terror threat is at an all time high" they are shafting our means of defending this country from external threats, and putting the emphasis on internal security.

1. ID cards which will basically be a DV clearance check on every member of the country, and a means of monitoring EVERYTHING you do. (no judicial oversight)
    2. Car tracking (for tax purposes - yeh right!) so they know where you are at all times. (no judicial oversight.)
    3. the expansion of the SIS to the level of a secret police force, answerable only to the ruling party. (no judicial oversight)
    4. Curtailing the means by which the actions of the government can be investigated. (eliminating judicial oversight.)

This is exactly how countries lose their freedoms.

"As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is twilight. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness."
    - Justice William O. Douglas, US Supreme court (1939-75)

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety
    Benjamin Franklin

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

hmmmm.

now where did i put that tin foil?

Ski.

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Best she takes her anti stab vest home with her at night then....

13. I think we can finally define the differance between a Terrorist and a Freedom Fighter:

A Terrorist is anyone who kills civilians, police officers, soldiers etc.

A Freedom Fighter is anyone who manages to slot a member of this fcuking Gub'mint WITHOUT causing collateral damage! :twisted:

14. Has Jaqui been hitting the Wakky Baccy again

15. Personally, I'm more afraid of the way the UK is being governed than I am of any amount of bearded loons with rucksacks. They can only kill you.