Japans PM hones his diplomatic skills.....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
PA Newswire:

SEX SLAVES `WERE NOT COERCED` SAYS JAPANESE PREMIER
Published 02 Mar 2007 - 15:44
Page 1: 15:44

Japan's prime minister caused outrage in the Far East today after suggesting women who worked in brothels for the Japanese military during World War II had not been forced to do so.

Filipino Hilaria Bustamante, 81, said she was 16 in 1942 when Japanese soldiers stopped her on a road, seized her by the arms and legs and threw her into a truck "like a pig." It was the beginning of more than a year of captivity in a Japanese garrison where she said she was a sex slave.

"Even as I struggled, I could not do anything. They slapped me, they punched me. I was only 16 then, what could I do?" she said. "They think we are like toilet paper that is just thrown after being used."

Bustamante is one of an estimated 200,000 women seized by Japan's military from Korea, China, the Philippines and other places during the war and shipped across Asia to be "comfort women" providing sex for its troops.

In the Philippines, 120 are still alive among 174 documented "comfort women," said Rechilda Extremadura, executive director of Lila Pilipina, an organisation of activists and former sex slaves.

For many, old wounds were opened anew by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's comments yesterday denying that the women were forced into sexual slavery, and calling into doubt an apology by a top government spokesman in 1993.

"There was no evidence to prove there was coercion as initially suggested," Abe told reporters. "That largely changes what constitutes the definition of coercion, and we have to take it from there."

US Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte, speaking in Tokyo today, said Japan's operation of military brothels during World War II was "deplorable".

"But ... as far as some kind of resolution of this issue, this is something that must be dealt with between Japan and the countries that were affected," Negroponte said.

In Seoul, a group of South Korean lawmakers called on the Japanese government to formally recognise and apologise for forcing women in East Asia, including Korea, to be sex slaves.

"Japanese Prime Minister Abe should retract his outrageous remarks denying the women were forced into sex slavery and immediately apologise," some 50 lawmakers said in a statement.

"Japan should sincerely repent its past history," Hong Jae-hyung, a lawmaker from the liberal Uri Party, said in a separate meeting with party officials.

Former Imperial Japanese Army soldier Yasuji Kaneko, 87, recalled the screams of the countless women he raped in China, some of them teenagers from Korea and others victims of pillage in eastern China.

"They cried out, but it didn't matter to us whether the women lived or died," Kaneko said in an interview at his Tokyo home. "We were the emperor's soldiers. Whether in military brothels or in the villages, we raped without reluctance."

A recent US congressional resolution called for Japan's leader to formally acknowledge and apologise for the wartime sexual slavery.

Philippine Rep. Liza Maza of the left-wing Gabriela women's party said Abe's statement was "an affront to all women victims of Japanese military sexual slavery" during the war.

"My God! There are so many living survivors of such atrocity," she said.

Tokyo has generally refused to pay damages to individuals for the war, and says the issue was settled between governments in post-war treaties. Japanese courts have rejected a number of lawsuits brought by former sex slaves.

A private fund, set up by Japan in 1995 to compensate sex slaves, will expire this month.

AP

Of course they weren't coerced Mister Abe.....they had the same choice the women of Nanking had......

How come while Irving gets a prison sentence for denying the Holocaust these tw4ts can still consider themselves the VICTIMS of the Pacific War and , it seems , get away with it ?

Knobber.

Don Cabra

Douchebag :pissedoff:

wait till Japan goes into economic decline, China has been waiting for this moment for so long, i wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese have a lots of Japanese bonds and Govt Equities, which they will call in at the right moment and cripple the Japanese Economy.

I do find it disgusting that Japs are denying it ever happened, They are deluding themselves, deluding future generations and they will get pillored for it.

Yep I think China will get it's revenge and sink Japan as an economy completely when the time is right. Japs are arrogant dicks who think they are racially superior - even today.

"There was no evidence to prove there was coercion as initially suggested," Abe told reporters. "That largely changes what constitutes the definition of coercion, and we have to take it from there."
Utterly despicable. The Japanese should be ashamed of themselves. Have they got no morals?

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Ord_Sgt said:
Japs are arrogant dicks who think they are racially superior - even today.
Absolutely true - but God knows why! I'm taller than most of them, and I'm by no means average UK height :)

They are indeed arrogant in a way that is hard to believe until you actually work with them. The next few years will be interesting - don't forget that not only the Chinese, but the Koreans have some pretty old scores to settle there. It'll take more than a divine wind to save them next time, methinks.

Hmmm working as I do with the Japanese on a regular basis I would be careful painting them all with the same brush, but the "comfort women" is a well documented and shitty chapter in their history and they need to get their collective heads round accepting it and dealing with it, preferably compensating (although no financial compensation can really be enough) those who were dragged into this. Dont forget however that the Germans ran military brothels as well and I wouldn't be surprised if not all the women were "volunteers".

Fuchs66 said:
Hmmm working as I do with the Japanese on a regular basis I would be careful painting them all with the same brush, but the "comfort women" is a well documented and shitty chapter in their history and they need to get their collective heads round accepting it and dealing with it, preferably compensating (although no financial compensation can really be enough) those who were dragged into this. Dont forget however that the Germans ran military brothels as well and I wouldn't be surprised if not all the women were "volunteers".
That maybe true but the Germans are at least willing to admit that these things were done and even pay a lot of money in compensation if you can prove it.

As opposed to the nips who refuse point blank to take any blame whatsoever.

I'm not defending the "official line" of denial but if you talk to them on an individual basis you hear a different tune. As far as the Germans are concerned the tables are somewhat turned the official line is admit and apologise (although there compensation has been slow if at all) but talk to Germans on an individual basis and they're "often" hard nosed about it and at the best dont want to know about it and pretend it didn't happen.

It's par for the course with this lot. How long did it take to get any kind of acknowledgement for the atrocities against our servicemen and civilians taken prisoner - AND we had a Hell of a lot more clout over them.

The Japs took a phenomenal toll on the other Asian nations and still don't want to admit they did anything wrong. They still treat Class A War Criminals as national heroes, FFS! Imagine if the Boche had tried that. The Sino-Japanese War is still an major sore point amongst ordinary Chinese and it doesn't take much fanning by their government to whip up the flames. If Japan were to apologise and mean it in the same way the Jerries did it might calm things down. Even a public backlash against any politician who spouted this kind of nonsense might help, but I don't see that happening - there's too much institutional arrogance in Japan.

Worst case scenario, Japan gets stamped flat by the PLA; their Self-Defence Force couldn't put up too much of a fight and I doubt many in the West would want their troops risked saving this little bunch of sh1ts from a noose.

Imagine if the Boche had tried that.
Well in some things the Germans did carry on normal jogging, how many of the judges who were responsible for some of the most ridiculously unjust trials and sentences during the Nazi time were brought to account and how many returned to the courts singing from another song sheet carrying on practising for many years after?
I am not defending the Japanese at all but it isn't so black and white when you compare the old axis powers and the injustices that have carried on since.

E2A this being one of the reasons for the left wing terrorism in Germany from the end of the 60s, these people seeing a lot of the establishment being the same characters who were around in the 40s (or trained by the same).

Maybies aye, maybies naw, Fuchs, but you don't get Chancellor Merkel going to Berlin Cathedral to light a candle in honour of Reinhard Heydrich or telling people the Gypsies weren't really that badly treated.

60 years on and Japan is still in denial, IMO mainly because they haven't had their faces rubbed in their atrocities the way Germany has. When their officials come out with this sort of thing, they need to immediately have their chains yanked or before long their schools will be teaching the awful atrocities committed against Japan in Manchukuo - Ooops, too late!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I think what is needed here is a damn good hug-in. Tony Bliar (gawd bless him with a large mallet) has apologised for slavery, even though we didn't start it and did finish it, the septics are trying to raise a petition to demand 37 trillion quid from the British Empire for anything that ever went wrong anywhere to anyone (and I wholeheartedly agree), the Germans are full of remorse and have left the goose-stepping to the Russians (who look more dapper in their Nazi outfits whilst bashing immigrants), and the last 'lady-of-the-night' I sle . . . spoke to quite enjoyed the experience, but only 'cos I paid double.

That nips need to jump on this bandwagon while it's gathering speed (due to divine winds allegedly) before they miss the boat (is that mixing my metaphors?).

To summarise: They are a bunch of nasty, unpleasant slant-eyed sh!ts who are more racist than the nazis ever where, as brutal and they haven't yet learned from the kicking they got (probably because the marshall plan let them keep their emporer and gave them shed-loads of money for losing so they wouldn't lose face).

Who do I blame? The septics for not flattening the capital with an atom bomb and doing the job properly (smacks of GW1 and unfinished business this one).

Hopefully, as already said, the Chinese have long memory and will flatten the little-c0ck, cnut, motherfeckers!

There's just no getting through to these people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6431011.stm

Japan's ruling party will hold a new inquiry into the use of sex slaves by the Japanese army during World War II, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said.
The study follows calls by some 130 MPs from Mr Abe's Liberal Democratic Party for the issue to be reviewed.

Tokyo apologised in 1993 for its role in setting up army brothels, but the MPs believe the apology went too far.

Mr Abe last week publicly questioned whether "comfort women" - mainly Chinese and Korean - were coerced.

His remarks angered neighbouring China and South Korea.

Many historians say Japan compelled up to 200,000 women to become sex slaves during the war.

But some Japanese scholars deny that force was used to round up the women, blaming private contractors for any abuses.

US Congress debate

"The party [the LDP] will conduct the research," Mr Abe told reporters in Tokyo.

"The government will co-operate as needed by providing materials," he said.

Earlier, the prime minister rejected a call from about 130 LDP lawmakers for the government itself to commission the inquiry into the controversial issue.

The MPs are demanding that Tokyo water down its statement of apology to the comfort women.

Mr Abe last week angered Beijing and Seoul with remarks that appeared to question Japan's role in forcing the women to work in the army brothels.

However, Mr Abe said he stood by the 1993 apology, which acknowledged that the military set up and ran brothels for its troops during the war.

Chinese Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing said Japan should face up to history and take responsibility for its army's use of sex slaves.

South Korean Foreign Minister Song Min-soon described Mr Abe's remarks as "not helpful".

The US House of Representatives is currently considering a non-binding resolution calling on Tokyo to "formally acknowledge, apologise and accept historical responsibility" for the treatment of the women.

Many former comfort women are still seeking compensation from the Japanese government for their experiences.

Tokyo did set up a compensation fund in 1995, but it relies on private donations rather than government money.
Nasty, vicious, racist little b*stards. I'm switching to buying Taiwanese electronics, from now on.

My mate was in Horoshima a few years ago, visiting the 'peace' museum. The Japanese guide was telling everyone how they were 'victims', a few yanks on the tour started sniffling and saying how terrible it was. Paddy (ex Irish Guards) spoke up in his best parade ground voice and asked if it was anything to do with Pearl Harbour and other atrocities carried out during WWll. He said it made him feel better as the guide shut up and one of the yanks congratulated him.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
DRIVER_B_III_RASC said:
My mate was in Horoshima a few years ago, visiting the 'peace' museum. The Japanese guide was telling everyone how they were 'victims', a few yanks on the tour started sniffling and saying how terrible it was. Paddy (ex Irish Guards) spoke up in his best parade ground voice and asked if it was anything to do with Pearl Harbour and other atrocities carried out during WWll. He said it made him feel better as the guide shut up and one of the yanks congratulated him.
I was in the Bomb Museum at Hiroshima - located within the Peace Park - in 1987.....Visitor's Book....'Must never happen again'.......'A black page of human history'........'Very moving'.....etc etc.....Korean guy in front of me had written

" Japan - you had it coming "

Not much love lost there.

Le Chevre

Looks like it's not just the PM who's been to the Tojo School of International Relations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6457675.stm

C*nts. We should've rubblized their entire country and rebuilt everything from scratch. Then perhaps they'd have learnt their lesson.

If they ever take it in to their head to amend the military parts of their constitution or even rename the JSDF, I forsee a smoking crater in the middle of the China Sea and lots of loud applause from their neighbours.