Japanese Soldiers found in the Jungle.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Silvester, May 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This from the BBC.

"Japanese officials in the Philippines are to meet two men who claim to be Japanese soldiers who have lived in the jungle since the end of World War II.
    The pair, now in their 80s, were found on the southern island of Mindanao.

They reportedly said they wanted to return to Japan, but were afraid of facing a court martial.

Their claim drew comparisons with the 1974 case of Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda, who was found in the Philippines jungle unaware the war had ended."

It seems like an incredible story until you read on and find out that they have actually been living with Muslim rebels and one has got married and evem has a family!

[​IMG]

2. It seems it was quite common in the North West of Thailand for Japanese troops who had just had enough at end of WW II to simply settled down and lived with local women. That common its never really been commented on.
    I knew one young Thai lad who says his grandfather didn't go home and stayed on. The guy had a job working for a Japanese charity working with young kids. This guy used to wear Japanese socks, a normal sock but with five toes, much like a a cotton foot glove.
    An old US servicemen I knew was of the opinion that many MIAs in Nam where guys who just set up shop with local girls as they had had enough of the US system and stayed behind when their forces left.
    The backwoods in this part of the world really are the sticks and its an old joke that if you break down in the middle of nowhere don't worry if you don't speak Thai for many of the locals don't.
    john

3. I'd have expected them to speak Vietnamese..... :wink:

Point taken though.

4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

There is a pensioner in St Paul MN. who still carries out his air raid precaution duties as "block captain".....mad old soul really.

5. I'll never forgive the Japs for what they did to my Grandad during the war.

He got passed over for promotion twice!

6. The first question they asked was "Is The Emperor still alive?" to be told that Hirohito had died many years ago.They then asked "Is Roosevelt still alive?" the answer came back that he to had passed on.They then asked after the fates of Stalin,Churchill and Hitler.On hearing that none of the famous personalites of WW II had survived,Their final question was......................

"Blonde Bint still talking Sh1te on ARRSE then?" :lol:

7. I thought it was "is Bryan Adams still at number 1"?

:eek: 8O

CS

8. I remember sitting in a Bangkok bar when we hear The Emperor had passed away. Bell ringing, sounded like VJ day, all Brits Commonwealth and Yanks drinkers. After a couple of hours we where debating going to embassy, just up the road, to sign condolence book.
    john
    Didn't some T W A T KEPT RINGING the BELL

9. Whilst walking over the fields of Waterloo last year, some doddering old cnut in a funny hat with his hand stuck in his jacket stumbled up and said "Pardonez moi, m'sieu, do you have the time, I seem to have overslept. Have you seen Blucher hereabouts?" Coincidence? I think not.

10. Tenner found in pocket. Wahoo, I'm off down the pub! 8O