JAPANESE NAVAL ATROCITIES

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by johno2499, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I stumbled across this whilst surfing for liners links recently. (The ship is the Behar whilst I was searching for a Spanish liner - Begona - which I worked on nearly 40 years ago.)
    Subsequent reading has thrown up the following:
    1. These atrocities were the rule rather than the exception. Ship and aircraft crews were rescued (!!)in order to carry out beatings, torture, mutilations and then executions.
    2. The US pursued the perpetrators but often took no action against senior naval officers in order to ensure post war co-operation from the Japanese establishment.
    3. The British & Commonwealth authorities had insufficient resources to arrange any realistic investigations.

It is all a very long time ago now:- So why am I so blood angry about it?

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/ships_behar.htm[hr]

2. A very good book about POWs in the far east is.

Prisoners of the Japanese: POWs of World War II in the Pacific by Gavin Daws.

It destroys the myths about POWs (American ) caring for each other and also highlights the differences in conditions between Officers and Other ranks as prisoners.

i.e. No work for "most" Officers and extra food rations .

3. Another very good book is "Surviving the Sword" - I think it is by Laurence Binyon - about the FEPOWs and the brutal treatment they were forced to endure. It also talks about the way the POWs were treated by the Japanese Navy - locked in holds for the duration of the journey etc. Grim reading but a very good book.

4. Also the classic "Knights of Bushido."

5. Damn! There was me hoping for a thread on bellybutton torture! ;)

6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

There's another interesting book of short articles about naval atrocities committed by all sides during WW2. I got it from the library and was rivetted by it. One particular story related to a Japanese sub which was shepherding survivors in the water, whilst a nearby ship came to their rescue. It and they were bombed by a US plane, despite radio contact from allied shipping explaining the situation.

I'll try to find the title.