Builds Japanese Kamikaze Nakajima KI-43 Hayabusa (oscar) shot down and crashing 1/32

the trouble with creating damage to the canopy is it may spoil all the work I've do so far, It may look out of proportion to the rest of the damage, and I have no idea how to do it and make it look realistic, so best left neat and tidy.

the arms over the face? I have no reference, but I guess he would be defiant, doing it as a volunteer. Screaming Banzai or something about honor to the emperor, other fanatic stuff.
Judging by the amount of damage, I wouldn't be surprised if Tojo was either screaming in agony or slumped over the controls.

fitted forward canopy.
canopy forward portion fitted b.jpg

check it for square
canopy forward portion fitted.jpg

the pilots backrest, painted too black, needs fading down a bit when it's dried.
The rudder and Aileron under construction.
rudder and aileron under construction.jpg

letting the tissue soaked in watered down pva glue, dry, then I can pick it apart, before painting the destroyed Rudder and aileron. Kit wise, just the prop, spinner cap, and antenna to paint and fit. Some modelling clay for the splashes on order.
covering the frames.jpg

If you're that good at building miniature rudders and ailerons,you might as well join the LAA and build a real aircraft. It'll be a piece of piss for you,compared to this.

the final components still to be fitted, nose cap in red, prop and antenna in black. the shredded rudder and aileron in grey primer.
prop, rudder, nose cap aileron antenna.jpg

offering up the aileron for size, needs trimming, and sinking into the opening, after it's shredded skin is painted green.
aileron triel fit for size.jpg

the Rudder the same, glad I made it out of brass now, or it would be too fragile to hold and paint.
damaged rudder grey trial fit.jpg

the studs glued into the wing stub, to support the model on the base.
base with pegged model b.jpg

the angle will be adjusted so the nose will be lower.
base with pegged model e.jpg

moments before the aircraft is sent cartwheeling and breaking up at the surface.
That's the plane itself finished, now for the water effects, when the clay arrives.
base with pegged model d.jpg

I'm using Das Pronto modelling clay for the water splashes and waves.
das pronto modelling clay in packaging.jpg

the initial stages of forming the splashes and waves using the pen marks on the base showing the extent of the wing profile, you can tell I didn't study sculpting at St Martin's College.
water early stage sculpting.jpg

the plane can come and go as it's not fixed in place yet.
water early stage a.jpg

the geyser behind the plane represents a shell hit on the water, it needs a wider base, I'll let this air dry as a basis to build on, so the explosions don't wilt under their own weight.
water early stageb.jpg

the splashes in this clip show the bases of the Geysers are wide at the bottom and angle the splash in the opposite direction to the angle of incident of the shell.

building in a splash shooting forward, using a toothpick embedded in the clay to support it and to stop it sagging till it dries.
continuation of splashes a.jpg

setting the second stage of wet clay aside to harden for 12 hours, I will apply more clay tomorrow to blend in the various water splashes and add the wing drag.
continuation of splashes c.jpg

jmb3296

War Hero
building in a splash shooting forward, using a toothpick embedded in the clay to support it and to stop it sagging till it dries.
View attachment 561645
setting the second stage of wet clay aside to harden for 12 hours, I will apply more clay tomorrow to blend in the various water splashes and add the wing drag.
View attachment 561647
It’s the inventiveness in achieving the non standard look using a standard kit, like the range target, that I find fascinating.
Congratulations sprocket, the step by step guide from what you start with by way of generic kit, to finished inspired model is tremendous.

cheers jmb, glad you're enjoying this.

Second day reinforcing the clay, particularly the thin outstretched areas. I've got rid of the big geyser, it wasn't the right shape and it was too large, taking focus away from the plane itself. so I've gone for a smaller splash coming to the end of it's energy, and two lines showing where the wing has cut through the water.
second day clay.jpg

NSP

LE
Oh, wow - this is getting seriously interesting now.

I'm just wondering about that bomb - maybe separate it from the wing slightly and embed it in the splash, showing it in the process of being ripped off the pylon by the impact/drag of the water...? Y'know - give it a more dynamic feel, perhaps...?

I'm using Das Pronto modelling clay for the water splashes and waves.

the initial stages of forming the splashes and waves using the pen marks on the base showing the extent of the wing profile, you can tell I didn't study sculpting at St Martin's College.
Excellent work.
However, I'll be humming that song all day now.
You bastard.