Builds Japanese Kamikaze Nakajima KI-43 Hayabusa (oscar) shot down and crashing 1/32

Daz

LE
Just to add something, the wear depicted would be more suitable for a damaged and abandoned airframe that's been left in situ for some time as opposed to something that's recently been forced down

Last time I did a worn jap plane as some might recall

IMG_20180930_190407.jpg
IMG_20181001_185544.jpg
IMG_20180930_190230.jpg
IMG_20180930_190248.jpg

IMG_20180930_190407.jpg
IMG_20181001_185544.jpg
IMG_20180930_190230.jpg
IMG_20180930_190248.jpg

Just to add something, the wear depicted would be more suitable for a damaged and abandoned airframe that's been left in situ for some time as opposed to something that's recently been forced down

Last time I did a worn jap plane as some might recall

oy, get your superb model off my WIP! Actually it looks quite good, Any actual evidence to support your claim that the weathering only occurred to abandoned machines? Spare parts may have been an issue to stopping a kAMIKAZE flight, but flaking paint?

edit to add, looking at your model, I'm now wondering if it was a economic way of making camouflage, scrub out some green to break up the colour?

Last edited:
moving along, no decals on this model, the upper area surrounding the bubble canopy was painted jet black.
masking black upper.jpg

I'm going for a faded matt black to fit in with the rest of the finish.
masked black upper.jpg

Daz

LE
edit to add, looking at your model, I'm now wondering if it was a economic way of making camouflage, scrub out some green to break up the colour?
Normally, the green was over-sprayed onto the metal in a wavey pattern on the Oscar rather than it being scrubbed off.

My point about the paint was you'd have areas of wear due to degradation, paint bubbling and flaking, on the other hand, would be more in line with age exposure to the elements and the paint bubbling up and off - flying airframes would tend to lose the peeling paint while in flight after all .

Last edited:
the pilot in grey primer, I'm resisting the urge to make him little round spectacles, cos that would be going along with the pre war idea that the Japanese couldn't fly, "I suppose you'll have to brush the little men off" and other war winning conceited statements.
in primer.jpg

faint trace of a leak spread back toward the rear edge of the wing in the slipstream. Didn't want to overdo the effect and make it unrealistic.
oil and fuel leak.jpg

Thanks Si, it's slowed down a bit today. Not done a Great deal of work on the model today, been busy recovering from my Astrazeneca jab. Got the test fit of the pilot and his new head, fits ok, now to paint the pilot and the bubble canopy framing. Two things needing a steady hand.
pilot treial fit and cockpit canopy unpainted.jpg

the undersides of the plane will be visible, but only in a limited way, the angle of the plane entering the water will favor the upper surface.
underside b.jpg

the fuel spillage from the flak damage to the under wing surfaces into the fuel tanks. The flak gunners got a chance to shoot up into the aircraft from underneath as they came in low then swept up to gain altitude and air speed for the final plunge and impact on the ship.
underside d.jpg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
the bombs were carried on some Kamikaze flights, I guess they had no better use for air bombs at that stage of the war.
View attachment 560375
Just a thought....would it be possible the depict the bomb on the broken wing being wrenched off by the impact with the water?

Just a thought....would it be possible the depict the bomb on the broken wing being wrenched off by the impact with the water?
it probably would be wouldn't it, or explode on contact. Interesting proposition, I've still got the destroyed rudder and Aileron to make up, plenty of time for adjustments.

the pilot reminds me of Morph that plasticine guy with Tony Hart, the canopy frame painted silver, steady hand needed there, and a magnifier on a stand,
pilot figure and canopy first paint.jpg
and a thin brush.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
the pilot reminds me of Morph that plasticine guy with Tony Hart, the canopy frame painted silver, steady hand needed there, and a magnifier on a stand, View attachment 560432and a thin brush.
At the risk of being obvious - is that a realistic pose for someone about to meet their maker? I'd expect something either more intense (hunched over the controls) or more defensive (hands/arms across the face).

NSP

LE
the bombs were carried on some Kamikaze flights, I guess they had no better use for air bombs at that stage of the war.
View attachment 560375
Last time I went around Duxford they had an exhibit of history boards alongside their Japanese stuff (including a kamikaze minisub' if I remember rightly) and there was a piece about how the pilots would not only be flying to their deaths but fighting to stay airborne all the way as the fuselages were packed with explosives and grossly overloaded so it wouldn't surprise me if they hung some bombs off of aircraft equipped to carry them that were being allocated to suicide runs.

With all the other damage is the canopy intact?
the trouble with creating damage to the canopy is it may spoil all the work I've do so far, It may look out of proportion to the rest of the damage, and I have no idea how to do it and make it look realistic, so best left neat and tidy.

the arms over the face? I have no reference, but I guess he would be defiant, doing it as a volunteer. Screaming Banzai or something about honor to the emperor, other fanatic stuff.