Japan veteran seeks UN status for death railway

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I once watched a documentary about how he was reconciled with Eric Lomax (read story) a very humble and honestly sorry guy. Shame the rest of the Japs can’t be more like him.
    From Reuters: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15022006/325/japan-veteran-seeks-un-status-death-railway.html

2. Humanity and humility from someone who knows he's done wrong, which is comforting given that it's not something which is expected (or in fact accepted) in Japanese society. A great-uncle was a PoW of the Japs - I don't know where, it was never discussed and he's now dead (though after a good and long life) - so all I hope is that some of Mr. Nagase's fellow countrymen and women will listen to his story and if not publicly discuss or acknowledge it, accept it as truth of their nation's shameful past in the same way that Germany has.

3. I saw the same documentary,it was very good.

I have been to Thailand and traveled on the railway from the bridge to just before the end of the line which ends just before the Burmese border.

It's amazing what they built,the tressle is somthing to see,the train slows to a crawl while going over it and the view of the river below is somthing.

I also went to Kanchanaburi Cemetery,it was quite moving,the place is spotless.
    The differant Unit's that are represented is mind boggling,name's I have never heard of,quite a few from the Indian Div.,Seppoy's,Sappers and Miners etc.

Roughly 5,000 Alied pers. died on the railway but there were over 80,000 civilian death's some say over 100,000 from all over S.E. Asia and S.Asia,either conned or forced to work along side the Alied troops.

If you get to Thailand I recomend going.
    You can get day trip's from Bangkok which include riding the train and a buffet luncheon at the end before returning to the Big Smoke,cough,weeezzzz!
    Yup Bangkok is one polluted city from all the motor bike's,tuk tuk's,never mind normal traffic.

4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Yep did the same a few years ago. Also visited the museum built by the Aussies at Hellfire pass. Stood outside in the hot humid air sweating like a pig it made you realise just how horrific conditions must have been for the prisoners. Very humbling.