Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japan -still denying

Should Japan do more to acknowledge its WW2 guilt?

• No-lets just move on FFS

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Yes-starting with the kids

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • What wartime guilt?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Bought aToyota once-marvellous! Pass the Sake

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking at their economy some may say they did! (Can't give myself an 'old' for that :)).
I actually thought about that as I was writing the comment.

Tuffty

War Hero
I was watching a program the other night when one of the old boys was talking about the Japs giving out beatings etc, seems they were just as brutal to their own men as they were to the POW's (no excuses), but it does go a long way to explaining their mind set and standards. 2 books worth a read are Helmet for my Pillow by Robert Leckie and With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge which detail the behavior of the Japs to the Septics and you can see why the Septics didn't take prisoners either). He also said that the Korean camp guards were total bastards to the POWs as they were constantly trying to impress the Japs. Funny old world, here we are now mates with South Korea and no one is asking them to apologise for their behaviour

Last edited:

brightonhippy

Old-Salt
Japan's military was utterly batshit when you have senior officers plotting assinations and junior officers starting invasions. Things have gone really strange.

Some Japanese politician s have a massive case of THAT GUY

Its also worth remembering that in 1930s Japan there were two schools of expansion, the 'Go North' school run by the army and the 'Go South' school by the navy. The army had a go at Khalgin Gol, should have worked fine, superior Japanese force and Sov forces 600 km from their railhead. Unfortunately for the Japs the Sov side was run by a chap called Georgi Zhukov, an arrse kicking ensured, end of go north, navy in the driving seat.

Then in 1945 Stalin true to his word launched a massive force of 3 Fronts (full of blokes who'd spent a few years practising on Germans) against the Japs in China, mega arse kicking ensued. What really scared the Japs was the prospect of a Sov invasion of Japan starting in the North.
Noted that also drove the Yanks to ensure it didn't happen- they got there first.

Funny old world, here we are now mates with South Korea and no one is asking them to apologise for their behaviour
Korea was a Japanese colony at the time and Koreans Japanese subjects, albeit second class ones. Nobody's asking the Republic of Korea (or DPRK for that matter) to apologise as it didn't exist then and the Koreans who were found guilty of war crimes have already paid.

And this is in part why attrocities on this scale will never cease to happen. give it a few generations and the truth of the matter will be watered down & twisted into a new truth in which the "Bad Guys" weren't bad at all, all lies & propoganda.
Whereas everything that was done to them, all true, they were the problem, not us.
Hitler was acting in self defence against Polish aggression, Japan was a liberator of Asia from European colonialism.
Stupid, failing species.

Johned

Old-Salt
I agree with you Taffwob, I always cynically maintained that had Adolph dropped out of sight for about ten years and then re-emerged, the Yanks would have hailed him as the great fighter and obstructionist against the spread of Bolshevism!

I agree with you Taffwob, I always cynically maintained that had Adolph dropped out of sight for about ten years and then re-emerged, the Yanks would have hailed him as the great fighter and obstructionist against the spread of Bolshevism!
Well that of course is the irony. They didn't like the Nazi's but then they didn't like Bolshevism which would they tolerate? In essence we spent 5 times longer trying to control communism

Latest Threads