Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japan -still denying

Should Japan do more to acknowledge its WW2 guilt?

• No-lets just move on FFS

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Yes-starting with the kids

Votes: 44 60.3%
  • What wartime guilt?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Bought aToyota once-marvellous! Pass the Sake

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

37ucv67i

War Hero
Back in the 1991-1995 the US Post Office issued sheets of stamps each year depicting a number of historical events for the year. In 1995 the designs included a stamp on Hiroshima. The Japanese got very upset and protested loudly and President Clinton cancelled the stamp design and apologized to the Japanese people for Hiroshima (Clinton excelled at apologizing for things other people did)
Are you sure? Seems slightly at odds with this: "President Clinton said today [April 7, 1995] that the United States owed Japan no apology for dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World War II, and that President Harry S. Truman had made the right decision to use the bombs." (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/04/08/us/no-apology-for-hiroshima.html)

37ucv67i

War Hero

ches

LE
The NAIIC Chairman wrote: "What must be admitted – very painfully – is that this was a disaster 'Made in Japan.' Its fundamental causes are to be found in the ingrained conventions of Japanese culture: our reflexive obedience; our reluctance to question authority; our devotion to 'sticking with the program'; our groupism; and our insularity.” The mindset of government and industry led the country to avoid learning the lessons of the previous major nuclear accidents at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl. "The consequences of negligence at Fukushima stand out as catastrophic, but the mindset that supported it can be found across Japan. In recognizing that fact, each of us (every Japanese citizen) should reflect on our responsibility as individuals in a democratic society."

That is pretty damning. Hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting Matt.

Indeed and penned by a Japanese bloke with the benefit of a modern international education.

The largest part of the Nile is in Sudan. Just saying like.

Happy Instant Sunshine Day.
The largest part is the delta and that is to be found in Egypt. It is quite possible that there are more miles of river in Sudan, which would be defined to be "longer" but not "larger".

Are you not a native English speaker? I am led to understand that you might originate from North of a certain border

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The largest part is the delta and that is to be found in Egypt. It is quite possible that there are more miles of river in Sudan, which would be defined to be "longer" but not "larger".

Are you not a native English speaker? I am led to understand that you might originate from North of a certain border
Now, let's see; all the river water in the delta came from the river Nile, which flowed from its source thousands of miles from the Delta. Very few rivers flow into the Nile and nothing larger than a stream in Egypt. Therefore all the water in the Delta came from the main river, just flowing through a shallower area. Also, much of the delta is salt marsh therefore not Nile but Mediterranean Sea.

I therefore, as the Nile is not just the few molecules that make up the surface water, stand by my assertion that the largest part of the Nile is in Sudan.

You may wish to supply evidence to the contrary - I look forward to reading it.

Flagon of red wine, cheese and nibbles at the ready .,,..

S'far as I am concerned it was Japans policy to control the Pacific rim. It's now China's and the Americans also got the same idea. The same arguments go for the people of Japan as go for the people of Germany. They didn't deserve Hiroshima but in time of war-it's war people get hurt. There is no moral issue in war, just who wins. The Americans did end of. When the next bomb gets dropped I do hope we don't go an get all moral.

Incidentally where did the one about the Bookkeeper go. I can't find it- in time for me to miss a note about the Russians banning books about the Great patriotic war as they are Revisionist- Nice one that.

syrup

LE
IIRC the Purple Hearts that had been produced to issue to casualties during the invasion of Japan were still being Issued in Iraq after that invasion.

riksavage

Old-Salt
I worked in Nanjing for six months and visited the local Nanking atrocities museum, grim, very grim; the photos and paintings left little to the imagination. One exhibit that stood out was a copy of a Japanese newspaper showing an article (complete with photos) covering a beheading contest between two Jap officers, 1st to a hundred! After that the swords were too blunt. The city wall is still there in parts, famous for photos of Jap soldiers with arms raised shouting banzai. Plus they pushed thousands of unarmed captured nationalist solders off, that and the mass burying of people alive to save on bullets. They also used those old fashioned guillotines we used at school for cutting stacks of paper. There are photos of Jap soldiers holding their victims down as one of their comrades pulls down on the guillotine arm, puts ISIS to shame.

No Love lost between the Chinese and Japs. A mainlander once told me Japan was populated after a Chinese princess was shipwrecked on the main island and then the raped repeatedly by monkeys. I wonder if that's where the Monkey character came from in the Water Margin?

The Koreans are also storing up revenge points, the Japs treated them like shite during their occupation of Korea. Watch any Korean movie and there's always a Jap getting a kicking.

Last edited:
'City of Life and Death' - Not an easy watch but ought to be compulsory viewing at times like these.
Local Library had quite a subtle display of topical books, 'Hellships' 'Tokyo Inferno' etc. Glad someone's prepared to feed peoples curiousity.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Indeed - wotesaid

currently reading "Gaijin" by James Clavell - which illuminates the Daimyo/ Samurai mindset quite vividly.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/453759.Gai_jin

of course it's historical fiction but gives a good interpretation of the bafflement and rage with which the Japanese ruling class met the 'barbaric' Westerners forcing them to open the country for trade in the late 19thC.

I reckon they should drop a bomb on Japan every year just to celebrate the anniversary..so to speak.
Apparently the captain of the first aircraft to drop the bomb used to do a re-enactment every year until old age caught up on him. Unfortunately he only dropped dummies, the real thing is far too expensive.

Costs a bomb.

And exit stage left PDFQ.

syrup

LE
Aparently some footballer has upset an aisian man by using the racist term Jap.
Christ good job he didn't hear what my grandad called them.

The chap below them had been a FEPOW.
He used to slice everything thin and hand it out oranges Mars Bars etc. you'd get a slice.
When my mother went round for tea with his daughter she was warned never to ask for more.
Just eat what was offered and come home for some more.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
edit;
mods-plse edit poll title to 'Should Japan do MORE to aknowledge ww2 guilt?'
My apologies - laptop meltdown!
Go to the first post. I think you may need to edit it (or not). Top right, find a button marked I think Thread Tools. Click. Edit your own thread title.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tried and tried...thread title amended but poll question resisting stubbornly...got a good line to Div HQ ?

Latest Threads