Japan’s new rifle.

Where there any battery operated sights of that style at that time?
Apart from Night vision stuff, none that Im aware of. Always thought that rotating the knob on the side of the Susat just moved a shutter to the illuminating source. Could be well wrong.

Again... swap the SUSAT for the SUIT on the L1A1 and you're miles and pounds ahead.
And you're carrying half the ammunition and have less chance of hitting the target with it.

Apart from Night vision stuff, none that Im aware of. Always thought that rotating the knob on the side of the Susat just moved a shutter to the illuminating source. Could be well wrong.
That's what I was told.

Is it possible that ”batteries for SUSAT” is the same sort of thing as bubbles for spirit levels?

Banned for a while. Back to normal please.
Bugger - I was going to ask how he was going to carry 800rds of 7.62mm plus a GPMG along with all the rest of his kit and body armour.

I was a GPMG No 1 a long time ago - I could barely carry the gun never mind 800 rounds!

Having run around ( yes, I could do that once ) various FIBUA/OBUA sites here and there with ladders, ropes , all sorts and all that mullarkey, I'd very much carry the SA80 in all its incarnations than the L1A1.
Given that no ones marching across open fields at 600m to get to you, but rather be rolling up in their BMP, your engagement ranges are going to be a lot closer. More ammo in 5.56 carried, better optics and shooting at peeps two houses down and accross gives it the thumbs up over 7.62.

Having run around ( yes, I could do that once ) various FIBUA/OBUA sites here and there with ladders, ropes , all sorts and all that mullarkey, I'd very much carry the SA80 in all its incarnations than the L1A1.
Given that no ones marching across open fields at 600m to get to you, but rather be rolling up in their BMP, your engagement ranges are going to be a lot closer. More ammo in 5.56 carried, better optics and shooting at peeps two houses down and accross gives it the thumbs up over 7.62.
No dammit the only answer is a warmed over Garand with a 20 round magazine!

I've used SLR and L85 and didn't really notice much difference in reliability. More oil = less stoppages. I never really understood the hate for the L85, personally I never had any real problems with it.
Anyway chaps, this new gat the sons of Nippon are getting. Any thoughts?

Again... swap the SUSAT for the SUIT on the L1A1 and you're miles and pounds ahead.
Nope. L1A1+SUIT still wasn't as good; it was an improvement on iron sights, but it didn't yield the step-change in marksmanship that we saw with L85A1+SUSAT. Again, I've fired both, and I rather suspect you haven't.

As the regular army converted from L1A1 to L85A1, all the SUIT sights that had been held by them, were getting pushed out to us SLR-equipped STABs. A year or two before our conversion, we had 60-odd of them in our company armoury.

After a weekend where the Bn 2ic had ripped the OCs a new one for not training with the kit we held, a necky Lt G suggested that perhaps we should actually use all these SUITs that were gathering dust? And that we had a couple of range weekends coming up, and after that the Bn skill-at-arms competition, and he'd told us to do it after all...

...so we quietly started training with SUIT sights, and then turned up to the Bn SAAM with them - because the covering letter for the event made no mention about the delights of different target sizes for Optic / Iron Sights (as was the convention of the time). The lads from Galashiels who made up the bulk of the unit shooting team, because they had their own damn range by Melrose, did whine mightily because we beat them, and it was so unfair - to which the Bn 2ic now had no choice but to tell them to wind their necks in, they had SUIT in their armoury too.

Last edited:
No dammit the only answer is a warmed over Garand with a 20 round magazine!
Might have its uses when engaging Terry at 800m, but no better at trying to slot Ivan under 300.
Lets see, infantry bod with 4 triple mag pouches = 360 rounds. Try carrying that in 7.62 - thats nearly two cans of Gimpy link. Oh, did I mention the link - here, grab some link....

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it possible that ”batteries for SUSAT” is the same sort of thing as bubbles for spirit levels?
Kept next to the charger for the Cyalumes, right by the box of grid squares.

Bugger - I was going to ask how he was going to carry 800rds of 7.62mm plus a GPMG along with all the rest of his kit and body armour.

I was a GPMG No 1 a long time ago - I could barely carry the gun never mind 800 rounds!
By carrying it.

My serivce GPMG was the M60E3, and I did not have the luxury of an AG as many companies in my Regiment were undermanned for quite some time after expansion of said Regiment. I generally humped it with the light barrel fitted and a single heavy barrel (and glove) stowed in my barrel bag. My Regiment replaced the M60s with the slightly heavier M240B (FN MAG/L7ish cow) sometime after I was no longer humping the pig. My personal M60 was upgraded to E4 spec a short time after that.

Really though, just how far can you go with a rifle design? Surely we've reached the apogee?

Really though, just how far can you go with a rifle design? Surely we've reached the apogee?
It does seem that way , same with the combustion engine , maybe rayguns are the way forward.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
7.6n mm is probably not due for a comeback (despite lingering happy memories of SLR and G3) . The US seems to be looking away from 5.56mm M4/M16.Body armour is proliferating and some lighter versions being developed. A new round in the 6.5mm-7mm seems to offer greater range and stopping power with much less weight penalty than 7.62mm

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
It does seem that way , same with the combustion engine , maybe rayguns are the way forward.
rail guns and tungsten ammo is the future I reckon, you cannot beat a high velocity penetrator. 100 round magazine/battery packs for that A team feeling.

7.6n mm is probably not due for a comeback (despite lingering happy memories of SLR and G3) . The US seems to be looking away from 5.56mm M4/M16.Body armour is proliferating and some lighter versions being developed. A new round in the 6.5mm-7mm seems to offer greater range and stopping power with much less weight penalty than 7.62mm
The 5.56 is fine, check out Swiss P , penetrates 1/2" mild steel at 300 yards , heavy weight bullets in 5.56 can be good for 1000 yards in the right rifle, improving ammo is much cheaper than changing the weapon.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
.280?

Latest Threads