Japan’s new rifle.

Sorry that should have read "But the SUSAT doesn't use batteries?"
All that extra weight must have come from somewhere...

Alternatively, your "batteries will run out" from carrying that heavier load, then how are you going to aim?

All that extra weight must have come from somewhere...
Stupid Brits adding rugged Optical sights to weapons with available technology at the time.

Stupid Brits adding rugged Optical sights to weapons with available technology at the time.
Again... swap the SUSAT for the SUIT on the L1A1 and you're miles and pounds ahead.

yet the US military still felt the need to make the changes and it still cost them a new rifle each time they did.

Presumably you mean batteries in the sight?
The original SUSAT had an etched aiming mark with tritium illumination, so 10 year(ish) ‘battery‘ life but it’s still functional without the illumination, just less effective in low light (but still vastly more effective than iron sights)
The UOR ACOG used a combination of fibre optic and tritium light source to illuminate an etched reticle, so same deal as the SUSAT except the illumination in daylight never goes away.
The current Elcan uses batteries to illuminate an etched reticle, so again, your aiming mark doesn’t go away if the battery runs out (plus they last for thousands of hours and are small)

So in all cases;
In daylight, effective range unaffected
In low light, effective range reduced slightly but still far in excess of iron sights in the same conditions.
Sign on the wall at the armoury at Brecon. "Have you switched off your sights?"

Again... swap the SUSAT for the SUIT on the L1A1 and you're miles and pounds ahead.
Except that STANAG 4172 was the new hot thang and all our SLR's were shagged from being ancient?

I mean alot of this could have been sorted if a certain country hadn't thrown its toys out of the pram about .280!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Guess which of 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO has more penetrating power past 300m?
But any fule kno that a sweaty T-shirt will stop 5.56mm at 200m, and enemy soldiers laugh and say "stop that, it tickles" when you shoot them with it.

I've been polite. Wind it in or be thread banned. keep going and be - banned.
No, you haven't. You called me an idiot and a troll. Does this mean I have now called you a liar?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
No, you haven't. You called me an idiot and a troll. Does this mean I have now called you a liar?
On ROPs until you can engage in discussion without being provocative and rude

*edit* that was aimed at AY not you Napier

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer

*edit* that was aimed at AY not you Napier
I don't know how many times I have to tell people that the QMs is a serious forum and that bellendery is not tolerated.

If SUSAT was tritium illuminated - ie self powered, why would it need a battery ? Where would it go ? Under the baseplate ? Armourers job ?

I don't know how many times I have to tell people that the QMs is a serious forum and that bellendery is not tolerated.
You're still a bitch.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
If SUSAT was tritium illuminated - ie self powered, why would it need a battery ? Where would it go ? Under the baseplate ? Armourers job ?
Where there any battery operated sights of that style at that time?

Latest Threads