Janes says Leopard 2s are great!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr Happy, May 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

2. Slightly off topic here, but a month or so ago I was looking on the defence intranet and there was a message saying the Janes Website and associated media had been compromised and people should avoid visiting it.. anyone know what that was all about??
  3. All sorted now mate. Carry on using Janes as before.
  4. Leo 2 is underpowered for its weight/protection levels etc but does have a good main armament and close in defensive aids suite. Its success in selling to Spain (as Lince) and Greece do not owe so much to its quality but rather to the quality of the offset and counter-trade packages which were put together.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

And the other 14 countries???
  6. Some were big Rheinmetall/Krauss Maffei fans from their heritage Leo 1 days. Most couldn't justify the cost of CR2 and M1...with a lot of Leo1 training and support capability being reincorporated into Leo2 programmes to save money.

At the end of the day Leopard is a nice little runaround but frankly unless the gunner/commander are sh1t hot, they wouldn't last on a "proper" battlefield.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I'm willing to accept that teh L2 wouldn't last against a C2 or M1A2 (which is good news for all of us I suspect). Are you saying that the L2 would not also last against the T90 or a proper combined arms effort by, say, Belgium?
  8. Depends whether the Belgian Leo 1A5s were better manned/trained than the German Leo2 doesn't it? :wink:
  9. From the sounds of that report the Leo2 is great, for the German economy. German built, maintained and parts from German companies. All being sold to 15 other countries. Well done Herman.
  10. The tank for people who dont really want to fight wars as they might get there shiny tanks dirty.I know the canadians have shipped a few out to
    afganistian but thats the exception :D
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

What have the French got? Le Clercs?
  12. yup the MOD were considering buying them at some point god forbid!
  13. Yep and from what I have read the Frogs are trying to punt them off as well in the same manner as the Bundeswehr.

IIRC Don't the UAE and Saudis use Le Clercs too?
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I take it from you tread-heads that the Le Clerc is not highly thought of?
  15. Its french .Even if it was allier than a tiger tank its gun could shoot to the moon and its bv would produce gourmet meals at a touch of a button
    and it never lost a track it would still be loathed. :D