Jane Fonda - A traitor soon to be honored.

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by bob_lawlaw, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently received a communication from a former Vietnam POW friend that Jane Fonda is due to be honored as one of the '100 women of the Century' Therefore before history is 'airbrushed' even more so to appease the PC elite, it's worth recalling one or so episodes in this lady's visits to North Vietnam and her contacts with American POWS.

From 1963 > 65 Col. Larry Carrigan was in the 47FW/DO (F-4E's) He spent 6 years in the 'Hanoi Hilton' the first 3 of which his family knew only that he was missing in action. His wife lived on faith that he was still alive. His group was cleaned, fed and clothed in preparation for a 'peace delegation' visit.
    The POW group had time to devise a plan which they perceived would get word to their relatives that they were alive. Each man secreted a tiny piece of paper with his social security number on it and held in his hand.
    When paraded before Ms Fonda and a cameraman, shaking each man's hand and asking such questions as "Aren't you sorry you bombed babies?" and "Are you grateful for the humane treatment from your benevolent captors?" Believing thas HAD to be an act, they each palmed their paper to her. She took them without missing a beat.
    At the end of the line and once the camera had stopped rolling, to the shocked disbelief of the POWS, Ms Fonda handed to the NV officer all of the pieces of paper.
    Three men died from the subsequent beatings. Col Carrigan survived, hence the knowledge of her actions that day.

Another POW recalled how he was captured in 1968, spent 27 months in solitary confinement. When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi, he was asked by the camp political officer if he would be willing to meet her. He obliged seeing it as an opportunity to tell her the real treatment the POWS were experiencing at the hands of the North Vietnamese and parroted by her as "humane and lenient"
    He subsequently spent 3 days on a rocky floor on his knees, arms outstretched with large steel weights placed on his upstretched palms and beaten with a bamboo cane.

With respect to the American POW Association, when I assisted in hosting POWs on UK lecture tours they were all to a man diplomatically silent on the topic of Jane Fonda. Such were their characters and strengths. One of the longer term POWS - John Mc Cain strove to the Senate.

It's become a well battered cliche, especially in Britain, that the freedom of speech and action has been at the price of someone else's suffering. I hope Ms Fonda takes a moment to reflect when meeting Barbra Walters on the physical suffering caused to hundreds of POWS as the direct result of her actions in those days.
    Several of these guys were to come home to a dis-interested nation and as result were lost to their families and colleagues. Jane developed a career in 'fitness videos and in keeping with the American obsession of youth - face creams! (how ironic).
    One of the 'Women of the Century?' I for one really don't think so.
  2. Burn her
  3. this goes back to 1999 - where did you get this post?
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Kinda true

Bit soon to do a woman of the century, but agree with the burning comment!
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Agree she is a deluded cow who betrayed her country. I refuse to watch anything she is in on principle that my money may end up in her pocket. She may have done a lot of things worthy of recognition but I don't think anything can make up for what she did during time of war. In another time she would have been put up against a wall and shot for treason!
  6. Slowly, very slowly.
  7. Why wasn't the traiterous b1tch put in jail?
  8. I'm all for a bit of casting stones at witches and knocking down t hose more fortunate than oneself but please go to the quoted article You will there read that the incidents described above were denied by those allegedly involved on their return home.
  9. Agreed....Burn Her.
  10. In particular, before giving credence to any stories involving the POWs, whether connected to any event, sytem of treatment, or to any individual such as Hanoi Jane, you should read the following:
    Subject: Fonda, Ted Guy, John McCain, false stories...

(1) There is a bogus story floating around about Larry Carrigan, Jane Fonda, torture of POWs, death of POWs, strips of paper, notes given to Jane, etc. I just thought you should know that this is all bull crap propagated by someone for some unknown purpose....probably to bolster some hate against the traitorous witch. I'm not defending her, we all hate her as much as the next person, but you need to get your stories straight. Jerry Driscoll is my Secretary/Treasurer. I just talked to him. Same for A.J. Myers. They had nothing to do with the article attributed to them. They ask that we get their names off that bunch of crap. Tonight I talked with Larry Carrigan. He asked that we get his name off all that crap as well. He never left a room to talk to anyone like that. No torture or beatings to see Fonda. He was living with Bud Day, John McCain and a bunch of hard nosed resistors during the Fonda visit...lots of witnesses if you want to question him (or them). Larry was never near Jane. There were never any POWs killed on account of Jane. (Did anyone ever provide a name of one of these tortured fellows?) That story about the notes has a nice theatric touch, but no such thing ever happened. The only ones who met with Jane willingly, to my knowledge, were CDR Gene Wilber and LCOL Ed Miller. One NAM-POW was forced to go before the Fonda delegation. And I think that was only to sit at a table for a photo opportunity. I doubt he even got a chance to talk to her let alone slip her a note. To my knowledge, the worst that happened to the rest of us was that we had to listen to the camp radio (Radio Hanoi and Hanoi Hannah) with the Fonda propaganda. It pissed us off, but I doubt you can call that "torture." So, if you get a chance to SHUT THIS STORY DOWN to the groups who are forwarding it, PLEASE DO SO. You can cut and paste this paragraph is you want to. Doubters can come to me if they need to. Mike McGrath,
    President of NAM-POWs. POW 30 June 67 to 4 march 73. ( mmcgrath@iex.net )
  11. Having read all the arguements for and againest. I say....

12. whatever next? Jade Goody sitting at an Iraqi insurgent rocket battery? :)
  13. She was a traitor.
  14. Unlike you Chief to be so terse. My recollection of those times was that there were large numbers of US citizens who opposed the war in very powerful ways. I seem to recall that some demonstraters were shot (too lazy to Google but what was Kent State all about?). Fonda was no worse than very many others. She got greater cover because of who she was. What we now know about bombing of Cambodia would have made many more good decent Americans act as 'traitors'. Is it really OK to hold to "My Country - right or wrong" when the country is so clearly wrong? (I would deny being anything to do with the country as run by B.Liar; would that make me a traitor in the terms you hold? This view of her conduct - when the myths are taken away - is relevant as I feel that the tide of public opinion in USA is beginning to go down the way it did about that "war in SE Asia" (avoiding the V-word). When will we see soldiers in uniform spat upon in the streets of America? I hope to G*d never but things cannot continue as they are now and no one in Govt there seems to be able to take any resolute action.
    Yes, I'm an onlooker but remember the saying that an onlooker sees most of the action.
  15. ORC, Do you not think there may be a difference between protesting and demonstrating at home and actually making moral visits with the enemy, in this case the NVA?. Fine, march up and down Pensilvania Ave, but to visit Hanoi was pushing the boundry beyond decency.