James Shortt Legal Threat

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Aug 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've just had the following letter in which makes interesting reading:

Not sure why this fellow comes to mind?

41573_59739738024_8671_n.jpg

Any suggestions???

2. If you need any legal advice on libel related matters then message me.

The letter isn't badly written but it is a little ambiguous.

3. Why instruct an American law firm to handle this, I thought James Shortt lived in Ireland

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Write back and correct the appalling grammar? Make them aware that US law doesn't actually apply in the UK?

:)

• Like Like x 12
  5. Presuming it is now too late to allow the defence of doli incapax, might one be tempted to consider the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram, 1971?

• Like Like x 14
  6. What's the Latin for '**** off'?

Incidentally, the truth cannot, by definition, constitute a libel.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Would it exceed the bounds of free speech for me as an individual to state that I believe Jim Short to be a ******* liar?

And someone who has, in my own opinion, obtained business as a result of knowingly misrepresenting his past?

• Like Like x 1
  8. If he has a reputation in the US and the contents of the website materially affect it then he could argue the US courts have jurisdiction.

Imputations of criminal activities punishable by imprisonment are actionable per se so he wouldn't even need to show damages.

• Like Like x 2
  9. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

You'd better avoid travelling to Nebraska then.

10. Write back and ask this "lawyer" if he has actually read all the aforementioned threads.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

IF it did go to court is he is going to have to defend against all the accusations and that could be awkward if he has, allegedly, mis-spoken or mis-represented himself. I wonder if this is him punting to see if the threat is sufficient to stop or if he has really thought this through.

One for the legal eagle I would say.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks, sounds a bit of a roundabout way of doing things, perhaps he's afraid that pursuing this through the UK or Irish courts would not give him the best chance of success then.

13. Would it affect matters if the reputation was built on spurious claims?

14. I really wouldn't worry about it. A law firm in Nebraska? FFS.

He can sue me if he likes. I think he's a lying **** and anybody stupid enough to spend money on his jap-slapping, bodyguard courses should be ashamed of himself. He is a liar, a con artist and a ****.

• Like Like x 23
  15. A true warrior has died and a fake f*ckhead tries to flex it's muscles. If J Shortt lived to be 200 years old he would still not of gained the amount of respect that John Mac had.

• Like Like x 22