James Le Mesurier OBE - found dead

I met him in Jerusalem briefly in early 2003. Seemed like a serious character. I asked him whether he was related to Sergeant Wilson and he nodded.
By chance I was camping a klick away from one of the border crossing points of the evacuation he coordinated for white helmet personnel from Syria to Israel to Jordan, not all that long ago...
The noise of the IDF UAV spoiled the peace of the early hours.

Last edited:
General Sir Nick Carter said a few words about his friend James Le Mesurier on Radio 4* this morning.
Sorry, I haven't found a transcript.

*I had given up on BBC radio until a couple of nights ago I started using an old radio again.
I listened to a program on BBC Radio 4 called "Last Word" (stitcher.com) by Matthew Bannister on Nov 15. General Sir Nick Carter spoke about James. He valued him very much. One of my sons was at RMAS at the same time and knew him. As the mother of 3 Veterans I feel rather sad that 2 months after his death there is still no news. I am sure his family would want to lay him to rest as I would want if it was one of my sons. It will be 2 months tomorrow since his body was repatriated.

*Russian Troll*
Well this is a big surprise considering the contention over his apparent 'suicide'.
The tip of a very big iceberg when it comes to this long running govt-funded and int-supported op.
There'll be lots more coming on the horizon but you are never going to hear about this on the BBC.

1595121265460.png

1595121331022.png

He discussed his fears for a second investigation by a forensic accountant, that this may reveal "errors and internal failures" that could play into the hands of "Russia and the pro-Assad trolls."?

(Classic int-smelling propaganda line just so you know you're being mugged off for definite)

1595122136956.png

Back down the rabbit hole.
It's as though we never left.

Well this is a big surprise considering the contention over his apparent 'suicide'.
The tip of a very big iceberg when it comes to this long running govt-funded and int-supported op.
There'll be lots more coming on the horizon but you are never going to hear about this on the BBC.

There's some good material in many of the BBC current affairs podcasts, but I find the story telling style distracting and the focus on the presenter's investigative journey and feelings about the story annoying.

There's some good material in many of the BBC current affairs podcasts, but I find the story telling style distracting and the focus on the presenter's investigative journey and feelings about the story annoying.

I know what you mean: 'it's called showing your workings' and is good way of taking up 5 mins or so if you're a little light on material or you're struggling to find a satisfactory narrative.

So,
Did he jump or was he pushed....?

I know what you mean: 'it's called showing your workings' and is good way of taking up 5 mins or so if you're a little light on material or you're struggling to find a satisfactory narrative.
Some are quite engaging (Tunnel 29 eg), but it is formulaic and once you have heard one or two it's annoying. The best 2 documentary podcasts on the BBC IMO are the 13 Minutes to the Moon Series #1 and #2 which do not follow this approach.

View attachment 490756
View attachment 490757

He discussed his fears for a second investigation by a forensic accountant, that this may reveal "errors and internal failures" that could play into the hands of "Russia and the pro-Assad trolls."?

(Classic int-smelling propaganda line just so you know you're being mugged off for definite)

View attachment 490758

Back down the rabbit hole.
It's as though we never left.

I know this post was the work of a Ru troll, but always worthwhile to push back.

The Guardian did a "long read" on exactly this (How Syria's disinformation wars destroyed the co-founder of the White Helmets)

The final thought from the forensic accountant?

...Vrieswijk was making headway in the investigation of Mayday Rescue’s finances. By mid-March, he was starting to doubt the tales of fraud and self-enrichment that he had heard when he first arrived in Istanbul. “It gradually became obvious that these allegations could not be true,” he said.

“We could not find a single penny spent that was not justified, or could not be explained,” he added. “My impression of James and Emma changed wholeheartedly. In the end, it was obvious that neither Emma, nor James, or any of the staff had embezzled money. I went 180 degrees on this. From starting out thinking he was a mob leader who had enriched himself in outrageous ways, I came to see him as somebody I really admire.”
(my bold/underlining)

It is a mark of just how much the sterling work of James and his colleagues hurt the Russians and their nasty little puppet in Damascus that, a year on from his death, the Kremlin is still putting in so much effort to smear and denigrate his memory, with lengthy articles on RT and trolls like our pathetic friend @184461 above. That is one heck of a measure of effectiveness for James.

Anyone listening to this Radio 4 prog about the life and death of James Le Mesurier? It's being broadcast daily at 1.45pm in 15 min episodes. It's up to episode 7 now, but you can listen back to them all here -

Lots of intrigue and games being played with Big Boy Rules. Difficult to know who's telling the truth especially as the BBC is being accused of having a not insignificant part to play in it all.

sunny james

War Hero
Anyone listening to this Radio 4 prog about the life and death of James Le Mesurier? It's being broadcast daily at 1.45pm in 15 min episodes. It's up to episode 7 now, but you can listen back to them all here -

Lots of intrigue and games being played with Big Boy Rules. Difficult to know who's telling the truth especially as the BBC is being accused of having a not insignificant part to play in it all.
I came across this article on a climate change site which outli es a few of the aspects of the affair. Very muddy waters indeed. Possible tin foil hat time but makes interesting reading and probably gives a different perspective to the BBC podcast which I haven't heard.
I was surprised to read that HMG had bunged the White Helmets £40 million.

Latest Threads