James Le Mesurier OBE - found dead

BBC is reporting that James Le Mesurier has been found dead in Istanbul.
He has 'fallen' to his death.

Last edited:
Who could forget them eh...

A411BE32-CB83-4A73-9310-20BB5F407097.jpeg

oh... not those white helmets. No, of course not. Those White Helmets were founded in 1927.

RIP James Le Mesurier. I was a great fan of your dad's work too.

The Dead Pool is for people you reckon wont see another 12 months, but are alive at the the time of making the Post.

At least, it used to be back in the early days of Arrse. Maybe its not now, times change etc.
It does seem to have changed to both a prediction and an obituary column. Anyway, just pointing it out in case any related news pops up there.
Did somebody on here know he was going to be bumped off ?
Doubt it. Maybe the trolls...

The Dead Pool is for people you reckon wont see another 12 months, but are alive at the the time of making the Post.

At least, it used to be back in the early days of Arrse. Maybe its not now, times change etc.

Did somebody on here know he was going to be bumped off ?
Someone the Syrian regime didn't like, fell off a balcony

Someone had a bit of motive there at least

But he fell, it must clearly be an accident, what are you suggesting?

UK have asked the Turkish authorities to investigate.

Given the work on the Khashoggi case I think we can be assured of a thorough job.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
He was a seriously good guy, who moved over the years from working for a soulless and annoying American security consultancy to international humanitarian work and eventually to relief and rescue work in Syria.

He was a co-creator of the White Helmets, an organisation which has never done anyone any harm and has done many people a great deal of good.

He was a very nice bloke in person - I knew him a bit in his Abu Dhabi days and he was smart, funny and had real integrity. It;'s pretty easy to construct a scenario to explain what happened to him and no doubt we'll find out at some point; for now, he's a loss and my personal condolences to his friends and family.

philc

LE
State murder, but by which state.

Sounds like a sound man

But he fell, it must clearly be an accident, what are you suggesting?

UK have asked the Turkish authorities to investigate.

Given the work on the Khashoggi case I think we can be assured of a thorough job.
You mean the Turks were secretly recording his death?

The `alleged` balcony he `fell` from.

1573499682508.png

He was a seriously good guy, who moved over the years from working for a soulless and annoying American security consultancy to international humanitarian work and eventually to relief and rescue work in Syria.

He was a co-creator of the White Helmets, an organisation which has never done anyone any harm and has done many people a great deal of good.

He was a very nice bloke in person - I knew him a bit in his Abu Dhabi days and he was smart, funny and had real integrity. It;'s pretty easy to construct a scenario to explain what happened to him and no doubt we'll find out at some point; for now, he's a loss and my personal condolences to his friends and family.
I went through the factory about the same time.
He struck as a good guy and it was good he was officially recognised for his works.
I think what has happened to him is pretty awful.
The questions of who and why should be answered. But I don't think they will.

No claims that he was defenestrated by the FSB?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
No claims that he was defenestrated by the FSB?
I suspect that if you were to count up the folk who might have had in interest in the guy's demise, you'd need Excel to get a grip of the numbers. Off the top of my head, the Russians, the Syrian government, all manner of factions, fraction, clans and katibas in Syria itself.... to say nothing of his country of residence, which has an interestingly fractal number of interested parties.

All that said, I seriously doubt whether much, if any, clarity emerges. The Turkish police might be zealous in their investigation, I suppose.

Apart from any consideration of the individual, it looks a bit fishy that someone came from out of a first or second floor window, landed legs first not head first (if reports about leg injuries are to be believed), yet somehow died?? It could not be a reliable way of topping oneself, hence one might very well wonder if other factors may have led to the incident. Very odd.

General Sir Nick Carter said a few words about his friend James Le Mesurier on Radio 4* this morning.
Sorry, I haven't found a transcript.

*I had given up on BBC radio until a couple of nights ago I started using an old radio again.

4(T)

LE
Apart from any consideration of the individual, it looks a bit fishy that someone came from out of a first or second floor window, landed legs first not head first (if reports about leg injuries are to be believed), yet somehow died?? It could not be a reliable way of topping oneself, hence one might very well wonder if other factors may have led to the incident. Very odd.

Very common lethal accident in Russia, for some reason.

Latest Threads