James Herbert

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crash test, Mar 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the best authors to frighten the living daylights out of a kid (myself - a long time ago) has sadly passed away at the age of 69.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Sad to hear that. He was my favourite author growing up and made Stephen King story's seem as harmless as Womans Weekly.
    'The Rats' series of books is outstanding! RIP mate.
  3. Couldn't he have hung on just another year... Great author, never met him.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dramas. I'm halfway through his most recent book "Ash", which seems very good. My two favourite books were "Ghosts of Sleath" and "Crickley Hall". A really talented writer.
  5. The Fog...the scene in the gym with the PTI and the shears will make the hardiest wince....
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The doubting Priest that gets eaten alive by a dog sized rat in his church graveyard (shiver). Too many memorable chapters to mention.
  7. The Rats and the lair had me scared witless as a teen
    Farewell to a talent
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Walked past an Underground billboard advertising one of his books yesterday. The first one I read was 'The Fog', and it was sheer class. My favourite was probably 'Moon' though.
  9. A line that's always stuck in my head for some reason is the copper getting trampled by a crowd at the start of Domain.

"Oh yes, he assured himself. That (noise) would be the bomb. About bloody time too."
  10. What a terrific story! The line that has always stuck with me over the years was also not far from the beginning when a hooker, after getting it every which way but Sunday (by two? blokes), is having a smoke and overlooking London from inside a skyscraper, and a nuke goes off. I'm just quoting from memory and in part, but goes something like...'And her face fused with the glass as the building fell over backwards.' It was a very tall building.

In addition to his horror, his sex scenes were the best bar none!
  11. The same hooker that stood there puffing on her last ciggie and thinking, "Forty a day and it wasn't going to kill her"?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ha yeah! That was the skank!
  13. I quite got to like her in the two and a half pages of her existence. She had a nicely cynical view of her rich Arab clients too.

"They lived like pigs and they copulated like pigs. How would they die? No prizes."
  14. That was the charm of Mr Herbert to me, created a myriad of random characters and situations (in context of the story, rats, fog, dark, etc) in the space of a few pages and then dispatched them in the most wicked ways imaginable. A literary genius.
  15. Was The Fog the one with the priest who pissed on the congregation?