Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Corum - Abandoned Engineering

TamH70

MIA
Friendship or not, jump straight in with wild accusations of waltism and don't hold back. It's the Arrse way.
With swift deployment of the Mk.1 Reversocycle if you're proven wrong of course.

Without asking him, I'm guessing that being on good terms with a certain General Sir Nick Carter for some years may be a possible origin of the tie.

Being a smart sort of chap, Jim would've eschewed the need to walk around with one sleeve down, one rolled up and the back of his shirt hanging out while the front's tucked in to complete the full Carter effect (and since he's an academic, people who didn't know him would've assumed he just dressed like that anyway, thus spoiling the covert signage of Black Mafia approval)

Edit - you just know that the answer is going to be a much less exotic 'I bought it in Tie Rack in 1986'

Gender-sensitive measure?

That's one way of saying 'had testicles sliced off by a surgeon', I suppose...

I'm sure it was sensitive!

One of the presenters on Abandoned Engineering, Dr James Corum, always seems to be be wearing an RGJ tie. I know he's ex USAF US Army Reserve, but what's the connection to the Black Mafia?
James Corum, an Army Reserve LT while doing grad studies at Oxford, was attached to 4th BN RGJs for training 1978-81. James Corum LTC ret. US Army

Without asking him, I'm guessing that being on good terms with a certain General Sir Nick Carter for some years may be a possible origin of the tie.

Being a smart sort of chap, Jim would've eschewed the need to walk around with one sleeve down, one rolled up and the back of his shirt hanging out while the front's tucked in to complete the full Carter effect (and since he's an academic, people who didn't know him would've assumed he just dressed like that anyway, thus spoiling the covert signage of Black Mafia approval)

Edit - you just know that the answer is going to be a much less exotic 'I bought it in Tie Rack in 1986'
Dear Arch, I was a grad student at Oxford 1978-81 and, while there, I was attached to 4th BN RGJs of the Territorial Army. Had formal attachment to the British Army Territorials to do Reserve training - I was a 1LT in the US Army Reserve- with the British Army. It all counted for the US Army service. In the US Army we get a pension and military medical and other benefits if you do more than 20 years as a Reserve officer (with so many points per year required for training and duty days etc. On the average I did about 50 days a year of uniformed duty as a Reserve officer. In addition, I got a lot of point credit for doing long distance training courses-- and a lot were required to get promoted.). I did 28 years (6 Regular Army, 22 Reserve, with last duty assignment in Baghdad). Retired as LTC. Worked as a civilian academic as well for the USAF AND US Army. I would NEVER wear any regimental or organization tie that I am not properly authorized to wear. As I was formally attached and did a lot of training with the RGJs, I am very proud to wear their tie.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Many moons ago, I bought what I thought was an innocuous striped tie at Austin Reed.

Wore it up town and met someone at the In and Out.

Should have known. Round turns a very smart old gent who says, “Ah, my old Battery.”

Short, polite conversation about reality and me thinking I should have worn my REME one. No harm done though, and some nice time spent with an engaging individual who was genuinely interested to know if post-army life was going well for me.

I would NEVER wear any regimental or organization tie that I am not properly authorized to wear

Of that, I’ve never been in any doubt! Didn’t know of your links to RGJ extending to TA service with them, but knew there were some.

I think I’ve mentioned elsewhere on here (years ago) how I was once mistaken for a Guards officer on the basis I was wearing a tie I’d purchased from Austin Reed when I was an undergrad, at an age when I had non-existent situational awareness of regimental ties hence my remark about Tie Rack). From CC’s reply, it looks like Reed may have done a series of ties ‘inspired by’ regimental ties, just as Lewin’s tie range included several designs identical to Oxford college ties...

And I believe you may even have been present at the event where a short sighted, retired 1* mistook a cormorant on my tie for the badge of the parachute regiment, a mistake which wasn’t immediately obvious because he kicked off by asking me if I knew a particular officer. I replied that I did (he’d been on ACSC) ‘When did you join?’ quoth the Brigadier. I told him (thinking he meant ‘when did you start your job here?’).

It was only when he asked me a question about my views on the quality of the current generation of soldiers that I realised some confusion had arisen and I had to explain that the nearest I’d come to jumping out of a perfectly serviceable airframe was stepping out of a Wessex during a CCF field day...

Last edited:
Many moons ago, I bought what I thought was an innocuous striped tie at Austin Reed.

Wore it up town and met someone at the In and Out.

Should have known. Round turns a very smart old gent who says, “Ah, my old Battery.”

Short, polite conversation about reality and me thinking I should have worn my REME one. No harm done though, and some nice time spent with an engaging individual who was genuinely interested to know if post-army life was going well for me.
I’ve just arrived in BK, parent unit is the 2 Grens and there’s a mess meeting... then I find out that not wearing a Regimental tie is a bottle of port offence. After much rooting through MFO boxes, I find øA’s old school tie which looks kosher.
After the meeting, the ASM introduces me to the RSM, who scans my tie and appears satisfied, as I’m led away the ASM whispers in my ear “You were never in the 17/21st Lancers Air Squadron...”
Ah, busted as a Cavalry Walt...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve just arrived in BK, parent unit is the 2 Grens and there’s a mess meeting... then I find out that not wearing a Regimental tie is a bottle of port offence. After much rooting through MFO boxes, I find øA’s old school tie which looks kosher.
After the meeting, the ASM introduces me to the RSM, who scans my tie and appears satisfied, as I’m led away the ASM whispers in my ear “You were never in the 17/21st Lancers Air Squadron...”
Ah, busted as a Cavalry Walt...
Fo' shame.

A low point for me was turning up somewhere in the REME one and an old college friend saying, "Why are you wearing a Eurodollar tie?"

That's Eurodollar, the old car hire firm - he'd worked a summer there. I had to go look. The blue was a little lighter than navy but it was pretty much there...

If he hadn't have been a big old unit who used to play full-back for Wasps I'd have killed him and hidden the body.

TamH70

MIA
Fo' shame.

A low point for me was turning up somewhere in the REME one and an old college friend saying, "Why are you wearing a Eurodollar tie?"

That's Eurodollar, the old car hire firm - he'd worked a summer there. I had to go look. The blue was a little lighter than navy but it was pretty much there...

If he hadn't have been a big old unit who used to play full-back for Wasps I'd have killed him and hidden the body.
You think that's bad?

Most of the schools around this bit of Whisky's homeland seem to have a choice of about four patterns of tie - one's fairly prominent on the non-denominational side of things, one's the same for Catholic schools, and the other two vary as to who owns them. It makes clyping on those kids that are badly behaved rather an awkward proposition, one would imagine...

War Hero
I would just like to thank @JamesCorum for the excellent personal response.

It is probably the finest response to a thread query on ARRSE I have seen in years! :grin:

Well played, sir.

.... and answered a query that I had too.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I would just like to thank @JamesCorum for the excellent personal response.

It is probably the finest response to a thread query on ARRSE I have seen in years! :grin:

Well played, sir.

.... and answered a query that I had too.
So, what you're saying is that it was timely, relevant, accurate and courteous? Utterly non-ARRSE, in other words.

Latest Threads