Jambalaya

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by mysteron, Jun 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

This is one of my all time favourites and is something you throw together and forget about if you are having a 'snap' dinner party. When I was an OC, this was a staple back up on inviting some YOs over at last minute.

Jambalaya:

Ingredients (per person):

50g Chorizo Sausage (diced)
    100g Chicken thighs (boneless, skinless and diced)
    Onion (diced finely)
    3 stalks of celery (diced)
    1/2 Green Pepper (Diced)
    1/2 Red Pepper (diced)
    100g per person of Abborio (Risotto) Rice
    100ml white wine per person
    100ml water per person
    Cajun Seasoning
    Seasoning

Method:

Do all of your mise-en-place first, the beginning is quick.

In a stock pot, dry fry the chorizo, the oil will naturally come out and fry the sausage. Remove the sausage once cooked but retain the oil, then fry the chicken until cooked, if necessary add only the lightest amount of olive oil - again reserve.

In the remaining juices sweat the onion, celery and peppers until soft but retain some crunch. Add the rice, meats and dust with cajun seasoning and season the pot, continue to fry for 1 minute. Add the wine and the water, season again. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally, add more water if necessary but you are looking for a sticky rice consistency. It will be ready in approx 25 minutes.

I have cooked this on the BBQ as a side dish to other flesh.

I suggest a light Pinot Grigio or indeed if you are in Germany, get a nice Walter J Oster Halbtrocken Auslese.

Enjoy!

Edited for clarity and grammar!!

2. sounds great, as I am in the fatherland, I will hit Extra tonight to get the wine.

3. mysteron

I also forgot to mention - one can add prawns or monkfish. I like it with monkfish but the missus doesn't do fish. Treat it the same way as the chicken!!

Filbert - I found that I could not get Walter J Oster in the supermarkets. But they do a few Ausleses. try a central to south Mosel - Cochem, Bernkastler, Trier. I find them to be better.

4. I've always wanted to know how to cook that, thanks mate, guess what's for scran tomorrow.

5. mysteron

My pleasure!!! I will try and get VB to agree it should be in the cookbook if it takes off!!

6. Throw in a can of chopped tomato too.

Instead of cajun seasoning, you could try a 50/50 mix of paprika and cayenne. (I use 1/2 tsp in each.) I also prefer the traditional andouille sausage over chorizo, which can be tough as old boots, but it's hard to get hold of in the UK. If you use sausage other than chorizo though, you'll nee some olive oil or butter to help with the consistency of the rice.

7. Cooked it, loved it, brilliant recipe, thanks Mysteron.

8. mysteron

Crab - I have tried with Tomatoes and it just isn't the same - but each to their own.

FF - my pleasure old bean. I hope you found it easy enough to do it again when having some people around.

Indeed, this weekend is a BBQ at chez Mysteron and I have some lovely Smoked Ribs and Hot Wings for the flames, a side of Jambalaya and salad.

I shall also probably do Mussels in Beer as a starter. Recipe can be provided if required.

9. how do you do your marinade for the ribs and hot wings?

10. Just ask your local tour dodging RLC chef ;)

11. Careful or hackle will be onto you with the full might of BAFF (a strongly worded comment).

I did a really good marinade for ribs once but it was a case of throwing loads of herbs, spices, honey etc from the cupboard into some olive oil, cant remember what was in it, and as it BBQ season it would be good to have an actual recipe for it.

12. mysteron

Marinades and Rubs:

Ribs:

Rule No.1 - Go to the butchers and ask him to smoke your ribs the week before.
    Rule No.2 - This is a job to do on the morning of your BBQ (or at least 5 hours before)

The marinade:

3 large cloves of garlic, crushed with sea salt
    1 tablespoon (7.5ml) of English Mustard (although I have done it with my cider wholegrain)
    2 tablespoons (15g) of Natural Cane Sugar
    A good splat of Tomato Ketchup (15ml-ish)
    2 teaspoons (5ml) of Worcestershire Sauce
    3 tablespoons (22.5 ml) of Cider Vinegar
    Seasoning

OK, in a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients to gether and season generously. Take a swig of cleansing ale for yourself. Then place the Ribs in a large Roasting tin and pour the mixture over. Using your hands, rub the marinade in all over the meat. Take a swig of cleansing ale for yourself. Leave it to rest and soak for at least 5 hours. Take a swig of cleansing ale for yourself. Into the oven for 1 hour at 190 degrees C. Take a swig of cleansing ale for yourself. Out it comes and then rest the meat for 20 mins. Take a swig of cleansing ale for yourself. Onto the BBQ where the glaze will now crisp up and get some blackening. Beautiful.

Hot wings:

BE CAREFUL - as Steve Marsh from Big Cook, Little Cook would say these are HOT, HOT, HOT!!

Ingredients:

Cayenne Pepper
    Paprika
    Cumin Seeds
    Seasoning
    Plain Flour
    Egg

Turn the fryer on to 190 degrees C. Mix the spices and finely crush the cumin seeds, place in a bowl. Season the Flour generously in a bowl. Beat the egg into another bowl. Now get a production line working:

Chicken Wing goes into the egg, then the flour, pat off the excess, into the spices, pat off the excess, fry for 4 mins, then reserve.

Do that for all the meat and reserve, place on the BBQ when needed to get that crispy outside and heated through.

Edited to correct a few spelling errors and forgetting to mention drinking beer.

13. mysteron

Post Script to add - you can do half and half on the Ketchup by mixing in 'Runny Hunny' if you want a really sweet rib - but I prefer this more smokey variety.