Jam Today, Jam Sometime Next Week

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by roobie, Aug 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. North Howard Street. Dover Place. Peter's Hill. Townsend Street. Just some of the reasons never to visit Belfast. Still, being amonst the City's tightly-packed red brick streets was probably preferable to being down in the Falklands, which was where the QOH were, no doubt shivering their arses off on the first tour after the invasion, with work to do but all the glory missed. Like the last raw prawn on the barbecue that's lost it's garlic butter marinade.

The old hands who'd been on the battalions last tour of NI, at Bessbrook back in '77, had ragged us new lads about all the new kit we'd been issued back in Hemer. 'You bastards don't know how lucky you are', 'it wasn't like this in bandit country', 'can't wait til the Provos see the state of this bunch of sprogs depot have sent us', 'if I see you down town I'm going to put your head down the shitter you little cunt'. We flew out from Germany in August '82 and into the mess that was Ulster.

The place where you take your dog for a walk on a Sunday, have a taste of that area.

The tour would prove to have some pretty sticky moments, including a rocket attack on Springfield Road Police Station in late September, which left most of the lads thirsting for a pint of Fenian blood. I remember shortly afterwards feeling totally disillusioned with war, the army, Northern Ireland and life in general, especially after a pretty stiff firefight just off Northumberland Street caused a bit of destruction to the poor people living in the area. However, my depression was to be lifted by an incident just a few days later.

We were patrolling the lower Shankill and were invited in for a cup of tea by the pastor of the Christian mission just off Peter's Hill. It was always nice to be treated with a bit of decency rather than to be totally ignored, which was the usual reaction of the local populace. Our section packed into the recption area of the mission building, with one eye on the road outside and the other on the Jamaican ginger cake and the warm teapot on the counter.

The pastor asked us about our tour so far and we gave him the sanitised version, which he saw through straight away. He must of sensed our gloom because he offered some words of comfort before coming out with a profound statement that almost brought tears to my eyes: 'In this world, a faint scent of marmelade prevails throughout'.

That has stayed with me ever since.
  2. I shagged a fit bird last year I also had a wank in the naafi.
  3. Have I just walked in halfway through a thread thats been almost totally deleted for Opsec or am I sadly sober?
  4. So you were with 209 Signal Squadron in 1996 and QOY in 1982 but you wanted to join the Army now with Bilharzia (although that post's surprisingly changed to 'your nephew' having it instead).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Roobie, you is a mental.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. why is orange jam called marmalade and not you know, orange jam?
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

ah my favourite answer to 'any questions' - sugar content apparently.

I once bought a jar of banana jam which was interesting.
  8. It comes from marmelo, another word for quince. Marmalade is made from citrus fruits and jam is made from soft fruits.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. well there you go. who says arrse isn't ejumakashional
    • Like Like x 2
  10. After that tour, we (1 WFR) were based from Nov 1984 to Aug 1986 at Battlesbury Barracks, Warminster as the Infantry Demo Battalion. We thought that was a chance to have a bit of a break but we all know how the army works: turns out it was hard work. Like a slug digging for truffles in the branches of a redwood, there was no real end goal and an ever present chance of being gobbled by a hungry RMP owl.
  11. I never understood that they offered such a comprehensive service!
  12. Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines. It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult. The fuel can vaporize due to being heated by the engine, by the local climate or due to a lower boiling point at high altitude. In regions where higher volatility fuels are used during the winter to improve the starting of the engine, the use of "winter" fuels during the summer can cause vapor lock to occur more readily.
  13. I had hydrolock on our lawnmower, teach me not to store it tilted the right way.

Ooh and thanks for the jam marmalade answer, never could be bothered to look it up but often wondered.
  14. Vapor lock was far more common in older gasoline fuel systems incorporating a low-pressure mechanical fuel pump driven by the engine, located in the engine compartment and feeding a carburetor. Such pumps were typically located higher than the fuel tank, were directly heated by the engine and fed fuel directly to the float bowl inside the carburetor. Fuel was drawn under negative pressure from the feed line, increasing the risk of a vapor lock developing between the tank and pump. A vapor lock being drawn into the fuel pump could disrupt the fuel pressure long enough for the float chamber in the carburetor to partially or completely drain, causing fuel starvation in the engine. Even temporary disruption of fuel supply into the float chamber is not ideal; most carburetors are designed to run at a fixed level of fuel in the float bowl and reducing the level will reduce the fuel to air mixture delivered to the engine.
  15. roobie has asked me to stop taking his threads off topic, so here is a post about jam.

Fruit preserves are preparations of fruits and sugar, often canned or sealed for long term storage. The preparation of fruit preserves today often involves adding commercial or natural pectin as a gelling agent, although sugar or honey may be used as well. Prior to World War II fruit preserve recipes did not include pectin and many artisan jams today are made without pectin. The ingredients used and how they are prepared will determine the type of preserves; jams, jellies and marmalades are all examples of different styles of fruit preserves that vary based upon the ingredients used.

There are many varieties of fruit preserves made globally, including sweet fruit preserves like strawberry as well as savoury preserves of culinary vegetables such as tomatoes or squash. In North America, the plural form preserves is used to describe all types of jams and jellies. In British and Commonwealth English most fruit preserves are simply called jam, with the singular preserve being applied to high fruit content jam, often for marketing purposes. Additionally, the name of the type of fruit preserves will also vary depending on the regional variant of English being used.