Jam query

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Fang_Farrier, Aug 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Having endured the nettle stings to collect the raspberries and the midges, not to mention dropping the bowl on the drive and having to pick them all up. I made some jam yesterday. Tastes great.

But the seeds seem to have risen to top in a couple of the jars, they were the first couple poured.

Any ideas why seeds would rise?

Attached Files:

2. Maybe the first couple were still too hot and liquidy to hold the seeds in suspension? Try letting it cool for a couple of mins longer?

3. It didn't set.

Top-tip. Once you've filled your jar with the molten produce of choice, put the lid on and invert the jar. Any air in the jar will naturally rise through the very hot liquid, thereby eliminating any remaining germs, and as a by-product all the less dense detritus will eventually be at the bottom of the jar when you come to open it.

Or, do like I do and make jelly, having strained the pulped fruit through muslim, sorry, muslin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cannot be 100% certain but it looks as if the jam is separating due to insufficient pectin in the product - something very common with raspberry conserves if the fruit is overripe. Am presuming you have used the 2: 1 Raspberry to sugar ratio, and the conserve was on a rolling boil for at least 1 minute before bottling. that being so it could be somebody has sold you some stale sugar. No I am not joking, overripe fruit and stale sugar can cause your problem.

If you can tell me the quantities and the type of sugar used I can possibly help you solve your problem with the aid of a lemon or two.

• Like Like x 1

5. I like a nice dollop of Bramble or Raspberry jelly on my toast .Round here there's lots of places to pick Brambles so I bought one of these . jelly straining bag.jpg

6. Fang_Farrier

a bowl of rasps to a pack of jam sugar, measuring is for those who care!

7. Fang_Farrier

It's definitely set!

8. Fang_Farrier

Mostly likely, I think. They were bottled almost straight from boil.

9. What flavour jam?

The seeds rose because you didn't sieve them out.

10. I made bramble wine this year. First batch was like paint stripper but second batch is much nicer. Small orchard in my garden so red currant and gooseberry jam will be my next project.

But the best option is to remove the seeds before placing in a jar.

11. Raspberry ripple jam: Recipes: Good Food Channel

Now that's answered, maybe somebody could answer my query:

I recently bought some bacon jam and found it quite delicious. I fancy making some of my own, but can't find a reference about when to pick the pigs. Are they in season yet and how can you tell?

[​IMG]

12. Might just have to try some bacon jam.

There are recipes out there for home made bacon jam.

But none of them tell you where to find the pig trees.

13. and I thought my wah was shite.

14. NOT A WAH http://www.loveyourlarder.com/baconjam/baconjam#
    Homemade Bacon Jam Recipe

makes a little more than 2 cups
    Ingredients

1 lb bacon
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
    ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
    ½ cup packed brown sugar (substitute up to ¼ cup with maple syrup to maple bacon jam!)
    ½ cup brewed coffee
    Directions

In a large pot, cook bacon until just starting to brown and crisp at edges. Remove cooked bacon to paper towel-lined plate to cool and drain off grease. Pat with additional paper towels. When cool, cut bacon into 1-inch pieces.
    Pour off all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from pot. Turn heat down to medium low. Add onions and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent. Add vinegar, brown sugar, and coffee. Bring to a boil. Add cooked chopped bacon.
    If You Are Cooking on Stovetop:

Turn down heat to the lowest setting and allow to simmer for about 1½ hours, stirring every few minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated and what is left is syrupy. Do not leave the pot unattended because 1) that’s just not safe no matter what and 2) there is a lot of sugar from the onions and well, the sugar, so it can burn easily.
    If You Are Using a Crockpot/Slow Cooker:

Pour the contents of the pot into the crockpot. Cook on high for about 3 hours.
    After Cooking:

Transfer the cooked bacon jam to a food processor. Pulse until you get the consistency of chunky jam. Bacon jam is sticky, sweet, slightly smoky, and a little bit “crunchy” from crisped parts of cooked bacon.
    Store covered in the refrigerator. I have no idea how long it keeps, but based on my recipe research, it seems like a few weeks. I doubt you will have any left after 3 days.

[​IMG]

15. Blimey, what will they think of next?! It sounds nasty with garlic, bacon and coffee.