Jake: Dog Who Searched for WTC Survivors Dies

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2007-07-25_D8QJVR280&show_article=1&cat=breaking&image=large

Dog Who Searched for WTC Survivors Dies

Jul 25 09:47 PM US/Eastern
    By VERENA DOBNIK
    Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - A black Labrador who became a national canine hero after burrowing through white-hot, smoking debris in search of survivors at the World Trade Center site died Wednesday after a battle with cancer.
    Owner Mary Flood had Jake put to sleep Wednesday after a last stroll through the fields and a dip in the creek near their home in Oakley, Utah. He was in too much pain at the end, shaking with a 105-degree fever as he lay on the lawn.

No one can say whether the dog would have gotten sick if he hadn't been exposed to the smoky air at ground zero, but cancer in dogs Jake's age—he was 12—is quite common.

Some rescue dog owners who worked at the World Trade Center site claim their animals have died because of their work at ground zero. But scientists who have spent years studying the health of Sept. 11 search-and-rescue have found no sign of major illness in the animals.

The results of an autopsy on Jake's cancer-riddled body will be part of a University of Pennsylvania medical study of Sept. 11 search-and- rescue dogs.

Flood had adopted Jake as a 10-month-old disabled puppy—abandoned on a street with a broken leg and a dislocated hip.

"But against all odds he became a world-class rescue dog," said Flood, a member of Utah Task Force 1, one of eight federal search-and-rescue teams that desperately looked for human remains at ground zero.

Anguished New Yorkers honored the dogs.

On the evening of his team's arrival, Jake walked into a fancy Manhattan restaurant wearing his search-and-rescue vest and was promptly treated to a free steak dinner under a table.

Flood eventually trained Jake to become one of fewer than 200 U.S. government-certified rescue dogs—a muscular animal on 24-hour call to tackle disasters such as building collapses, earthquakes, hurricanes and avalanches.

After Hurricane Katrina, Flood and Jake drove 30 hours from Utah to Mississippi, where they searched through the rubble of flooded homes in search of survivors.

In recent years, Jake helped train younger dogs and their handlers across the country. Jake showed other dogs how to track scents, even in the snow, and how to look up if the scent was in a tree.

He also did therapy work with children at a Utah camp for burn victims and at senior homes and hospitals.

"He was a great morale booster wherever he went," says Flood. "He believed that his cup was always full, never half-full. He was always ready to work, eager to play—and a master at helping himself to any unattended food items."

Cynthia Otto of the University of Pennsylvania's School of Veterinary Medicine, who is researching the health of Sept. 11 dogs, expects Jake and the other animals being analyzed will serve as sentinels on possible long-term consequences stemming from 9/11.

Jake's ashes will be scattered "in places that were important to him," says Flood, like his Utah training grounds, the rivers and hills near home where he swam and roamed.

My comment on this article.:

May all the fields in doggy Heaven be lush and green and the creeks run deep and cool Jake...

Good job & well done...

RIP.

Attached Files:

• jake.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
  2. You know what Trippy - Fecking good post that.

Good luck Jake.

Truly Mans Best Friend.

Heed.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Someone posted a tribute to Jake on another website, that I posted this article on. It's a Kipling poem, that I think fits this fine K-9, very well!. I liked it and always have loved his poems!

FOUR FEET

I have done mostly what men do,
    And pushed it out of my mind;
    But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
    Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through--
    Wherever my road inclined--
    Four-Feet said, 'I am coming with you!'
    And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round--
    Which I shall never find--
    Some where that does not carry the sound
    Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

--- Rudyard Kipling ---

4. Poor little fella.

Wouldn't surprise me if was related to the dust being inhaled. Been quite a few deaths from survivors since then from lung problems.

5. Poor old Jake, he deserves the Dickin medal God bless him.

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I agree with you! Many Fire, Police and others seem to be having those problems, although Jake was getting up there in dog years.

8. Not a doggy type person myself but got to admit was touched by that piece

9. Good lad eh?

It's amazing the positive effect and contribution some animals have, especially dogs. Many of us have seen it on ops.

It's a shame more humans couldn't emulate them by shutting up and getting on with the job without complaint.

Have a nice kip Jake mate.... Job well done.

10. awwww.

Rest easy little doggie.

It is amazing that some of the best rescue dogs come from the streets, the unwanted little puppies, sometimes injured.

It is a credit to the dogs and to their owners that they bring htem to such high standards after. (Many British Army search dogs come from the same start).

Does the US of A have a version of this Trip_Wire?

[​IMG]

Dickins Medal of Bravery for Animals

The Animals' VC is rarer than the people's VC!!! :D won by

32 Pigeons
    19 Dogs
    3 Horses
    1 Ship's Cat

From 1943 to 2006.

More here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/animalbraveryawards.html

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/page309.html

Notable winners - original awards

1943: Winkie - first pigeon to be awarded the medal; flew 120 miles from a crashed bomber to deliver an SOS
    1943: Ruhr Express - a messenger pigeon
    1944: Commando - a messenger pigeon
    1944: Paddy - messenger pigeon that made the fastest recorded crossing of the English Channel, delivering messages from Normandy for D-Day, travelling 230 miles in 4 hours 5 minutes.
    1945: Rex - A rescue dog was officially recorded to have saved 65 people in London's flying bomb blitz.
    1946: G.I. Joe - a messenger pigeon that saved many people's lives in World War II.
    1946: Judy - the only animal to have been officially registered as a Japanese prisoner of war.
    1947: Olga, Upstart and Regal - three police horses involved in incidents following German bombing raids in, the first two involving flying bombs and the third an attack involving explosive incendiaries
    1949: Simon - the ship's cat on HMS Amethyst during the Yangtze Incident, noted for surviving injuries from a cannon shell, raising morale and killing off a rat infestation during the incident. Rank raised to "Able Seacat" and awarded campaign medal

[edit] Modern award winners
    2000: Gander - a Newfoundland dog serving with Canadian infantry in Hong Kong in 1941
    2002: Salty and Roselle - guide dogs who separately led their owners to safety from the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks
    2002: Appollo - a search and rescue dog with the New York Police Department, as a representative of all such dogs who worked at the World Trade Center site and the Pentagon in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks
    2003: Sam - a Royal Army Veterinary Corps dog serving with The Royal Canadian Regiment in Bosnia-Herzegovina, for separately disarming a gunman and later holding back a hostile crowd while guarding a refugee compound until reinforcements arrived
    2003: Buster - a Royal Army Veterinary Corps arms and explosives search dog serving with the Duke of Wellington's Regiment in Iraq, for finding an extremist group's hidden arsenal of weapons and explosives
    2007: Sadie - a Royal Army Veterinary Corps arms and explosives search black Labrador dog serving in Afghanistan, for finding a bomb planted underneath sandbags, yards from where a suicide car bombing had earlier killed a German soldier outside the United Nations headquarters in Kabul in November 2005.

Makes you wonder doesn't it at times, do they really know what they do?

For non-Brits on the site that may not know. Many of the British Forces "Official" mascots hold some form of rank. Normally no higher than JNCO or equivelent. They also recieve regimental numbers and are rationed and paid by the Regiment.

Nor is it unusual for the animals to be "awarded" campain medals. (How many dogs and cats in NI sported a GSM!!!!)

Recently the mascot of the RRF was demoted for sh1ting on parade.

The British also have many unofficial mascots.

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

12. Thanks for that Trip & Chocolate_Frog for the expansion.

With out a doubt certain animals are better than many so called humans.

Jake was a fine looking Dog. May his bowl always be full.

13. At least he had a better end than the poor French doggy who was put down after mauling her owners face.

Dinoire is the first woman in the world to be given a face transplant. Her dog was put down for her "attack" of Dinoire. Was a dog, that had previously been so good attacking her? Whilst she lay on the floor in a self induced state of unconciousness?

Did the dog deserve death?

Does Mme Dinoire deserve a new face?

14. Of all the citations surely "Rob the Dog" a welsh border collie is the most outstanding. He made numerous operational jumps with the SAS in WWII. Was fantastically helpful to the others in his patrol.

After the war he went back to the farm he came from and settled back into civilian life. When he finally died the family never had another dog, although they are needed on a hill farm. Rob's death had broken their hearts and they could never find another to match him.