jailed head teacher keeps his job!!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jibman, Jul 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Lunatic' crash teacher keeps job

Paul Davies must serve at least half his 15-month sentence
    A head teacher jailed for 15 months after a 120-mph crash left another motorist in a wheelchair, will have his job kept open for him it has emerged.
    Paul Davies, 51, was said to have driven like a "boy racer" before crashing with Kelvin Palmer last May.

But school governors have decided to let him return to Cwmdare primary school in the Cynon valley.

Mr Palmer said he was appalled and wants the General Teaching Council to hold its own disciplinary hearing.

When Davies was sentenced at Newport Crown Court last month, the court heard he would lose his head teacher post.

Judge Stephen Hopkins said Davies' driving on the A465 Heads of the Valleys road in wet and windy conditions had been "lunatic".

It's alarming, isn't it really - a headmaster with a tag - it must be a first

Kelvin Palmer, crash victim

Davies' trial, at Merthyr Crown Court, heard he had "effectively destroyed" the life of Mr Palmer and his family after his Subaru Impreza collided with Mr Palmer's Ford Fiesta.

Father-of-two Mr Palmer, 49, spent 10 months in hospital and is now confined to a wheelchair. He lives in a respite care home away from his family.

He was shocked when the BBC told him that a disciplinary committee of the governors at Cwmdare Primary had decided to keep the head teachers job open for him until he comes out of prison.

That could see him returning to school in the Autumn if he's allowed to be tagged.

"It's alarming, isn't it really. A headmaster with a tag. It must be a first, mustn't it?," Mr Palmer said

Clearly this chap has been found guilty in the court, he's been sentenced to jail, and he's now going to be in front of kids. I really don't understand it

Accident victim Kevin Palmer

"It's appalling. I don't understand how such a thing can happen because we put these up on a pedestal as an example to the children.

"Clearly this chap has been found guilty in the court, he's been sentenced to jail, and he's now going to be in front of kids. I really don't understand it."

Davies, who had denied dangerous driving, was told he must serve at least half the 15-month sentence. If he is allowed to be electronically tagged, it could see him returning to the school in the autumn.

In a statement, Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and Alun Maddox, Chair of Governors, Cwmdare Primary School said the disciplinary panel of the governing body of Cwmdare Primary School met at the end of last week.

The statement read: "The panel decided to allow Mr Davies to keep his post and he is expected to return after completing his sentence in relation to the recent court judgement.

"Further details of when he will return will be announced as soon as they are available."

The statement said all parents and carers of pupils at the school had received a letter from the chairman of governors explaining the situation.

It is understood Davies was allowed out of prison for the disciplinary hearing. Some parents at the school had petitioned the governors for him to be kept on.

The head teachers' union which backed Davies' case said he was held in high esteem by parents and he was now extremely sorry for what happened and would have to live with it for the rest of his life.
  2. So I take it he won't be providing instruction during driver's training class right?
  3. what a fine example
  4. How can you deny dangerous driving when you drive at 120mph?

5. Better him going back to work than him being sat a home with us paying his benefits.

I think he'll probably get more abuse in school from the kids than he will in prison.

6. The governors have acted irresponsibly. Firstly, they are without a head teacher, or they have employed a locum; they are responsible for the school budget. If he does return he'll have no respect or authority. I think he'll go of his own volition
  7. I see no reason why this man should lose his job. He needs to work.
    He will have served his sentence. He is and will remain on a reasonable salary and therefore should be able to part with a good percentage each month of it to help support Mr Palmer's family now that he himself is unable to.
    Davies simply feeling sorry for the rest of his life is of no use to his victim, but paying part of his salary to Mr Palmer monthly would be constructive and tangible and therefore a believable act of goodwill.
  8. But he won't be paying anything to Mr Daives will he? I'm not really sure if he should loose his job or not. I can see the arument on both sides. What is an utter disgrace though is his sentance. 15 months and he will serve half of that, after putting a bloke in a wheelchair for the rest of his life and into a carehome he has stolen this mans ability to provide for his own family and ruined his life, 15 months isn't enough in my book
  9. i feel its rubbing salt into the wounds of the man whose going to spend his whole life confined to a wheelchair,knowing that the other person involved just carries on where he left off before the incident.
  10. First off, the Head Teacher should be banned from driving for life!!!!

After that it shouldn't affect his teaching surely. He will be the perfect person to do talks on how not to be a knob and how your actions or lack of thinking can affect others seriously.
  11. Were it not for the fact that he was doing double the speed limit, were it not for the fact that he has destroyed Mr Palmer's life as he knew it meaning at some level he will require care for the rest of his life I may have agreed.

Davies may be a great teacher but he is a dangerous and irrresponsible man. I would not suggest that teachers should be held as paragons of virtue but with a sentence like his and the effct of his actions he can hardly be a role model or indeed be held out as acceptable to guide children. If he has any remorse he should have the integrity to resign his position and look at taking a position for the underpriviledged or overseas teaching and actually make some good out of his skills rather than return to square one and risk the (OH NO) possible p1ss taking by kids. I have limited sympathy for this man and every sympathy for Palmer.
  12. Gentlemen.

May I as a serving teacher (forget the former cadet orifice bit of my life for the moment) point out that there will be an investigation and hearing by the General Teaching Council. Whether or not the Governing Body of the school wants to keep this Headteacher in his job is utterly irrelevant. The GTC has the power to remove a teachers registration for whatever period of time is considered necessary. By so doing that person is not allowed to work in a school and is therefore out of a job. That's the law.

If you take a look at the General Teaching Council website you will find details of disciplinary hearings - and see that teachers lose their jobs for far less than this individuals offence.

Take a look at: http://www.gtce.org.uk/standards/hearings/disciplinaries/

Choose a name, click on it, and see what I mean.

The guy is finished, if for no other reason than the fact that his staff will have no respect for him at all, neither will parents. More than enough to make any headteacher's position untenable.
  13. Here's a sample one:

"On 19 April 2007 a disciplinary order was made against Mr Lyndon Morgan, teacher reference number 7675992, taking effect on 08 May 2007.

Mr Morgan was found guilty of having been convicted of a relevant offence in that he was convicted at Aylesbury Magistrates Court on 05 July 2002 for the offence of driving a motor vehicle with excess alcohol on 30 June 2002 for which he received a fine of £520, costs of £55 and was disqualified from driving for 18 months (reduced upon completion of rehabilitation course).

Mr Morgan was also found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct, namely:
    i) he was cautioned by Hampshire Constabulary for common assault on 10 February 2004
    ii) he was cautioned by Thames Valley Police on 07 November 2003 for attempted theft on 30 September 2003.

Mr Morgan received a Prohibition Order (reapplication not before two years)."

So he is out of his job, banned from teaching in a state school, can't even apply for the ban to be lifted for two years. Even if it is, who would give him a job? If the ban is lifted in the future, a condition would be that he reveal everything to a potential future employer. So that's him finished then. And that headteacher too.

14. If you click a little further yon loony was denying absolutely that he was doing the speed stated, he wasn't driving carelessly given the conditions, he'd never driven his Scooby over 80mph (cough), and basically wouldn't admit any liability. Typical shouty headmaster?

Arrogant, lying, criminally negligent tosser. His Governing Body should be publicly flogged for having the sheer effrontery even to suggest such a thing - mind you, most of these are Mafia style organisations (sorry, Taffia) who seem to make a lot of their decisions over a nice glass of sherry with chums. Who coincidentally...

Anyway, hopefully his professional body will act as posted above and once he's finished playing Mummies and Daddies for 15 months he will be politely told to Foxtrot Uniform. Even if he was still allowed to teach, he can start at the bottom again, forget a highly paid job being held open (with either locum cover or other staff getting sh@t on to cover the post) for him by his chums.

Nice 'tache, though.
  15. all this while whistleblowing Teachers that exposes wrong doing or exposes malpractice and those that actually teach and discipline Kids even Teachers falsely accused of sexual relations with pupils are sacked on less evidence and have to suffer an internal Kangagroo courts.

the hypocrisy stinks