Jailed for life is against your 'uman rights

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DesktopCommando, Jul 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whole-Life Inmates Win Human Rights Victory Up some of Britain's most notorious killers for life without any prospect of release is a breach of their human rights, European judges have ruled.Murderer Jeremy Bamber is among those facing a review of their whole-life tariffs after winning an appeal in the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights that the sentences were inhuman and degrading.In a blow for the UK courts, the judges found that for a life sentence to remain compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights there had to be both a possibility of release and a possibility of review.....look forward to killers being freed by limp wrist judges

2. maybe, just maybe, one day the victims family's and their feelings with be taken into consideration, but I dought it.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Use the same as Uncle Sam's courts then. Jailed for 999 years.!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. You do sometimes wonder if we wouldn't be better off jailing all human rights lawers for life!

• Like Like x 3
  5. I'd start off with Amnesty International.

6. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

I know that the European Court of human Rights have done some good for some Brits as well, but this is becoming a farce. We can't kick out known terrorists and now can't jail murderers for life. Maybe it is time to pull the plug on this aspect of European 'franchise'.

7. I wonder if these rulings will be applied in mainland Europe or will it just be us that end up toeing the Euro line.

8. Can we also jail people who type the words 'uman or yuman as they think it has more impact?

Also anyone who pretends to be computer illiterate so they say 'puter.

And gits who type or say Bliar, Call me Dave, Cleggy, 2 Jags etc etc.

People who do so deserve the birch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The judgement only says that someone can't be jailed for a true life sentence without it being reviewed. The sentence can be reviewed and found to be appropriate.

10. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps we need a new offence - violating another person's right to life. Sentence - 20 years for each year of life the victim would have been expected to live based. Rounded up to whole years (some minimum sentence of 20 years). Then see the courts spin round a punishment for human rights violations rather than murder

11. CallMeDave sums him up completely.. Fifty lashes please.

12. There are very few places in "old" Europe where a whole life sentence is ever used.
    Not so sure about the newer members of the EU club but most places just do 15 years or so and then chuck them in a secure loony bin afterwards if required.

13. What sticks in my craw is having judges from such fair and enlightened countries such as Serbia , Montenegro and Latvia telling our legal establishment what constitutes human rights .
    As others have said , time to duck out of this fARRSE .

• Like Like x 1
  14. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

If the death penalty was bought back we wouldnt have to worry about reviews for the worst crimes.

But that is another highly point altogether

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

15. Do most EU countries have "whole life" sentences?

Anyway, IF people had read the article they would have seen that the ruling does not say that being jailed until the day you die has to end, just that it must be "reviewed" every 25 years at the latest.

The other thing is that the issue doesn't lie with the ECtHR or EHCR, but the laws in the UK itself. That's what has to be sorted out, irrespective of the ECHR and ECtHR.