Jail for Chinese rights activist

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Apr 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is a news number one on BBC now.

Arrest of internet journalist, blogger... Yes, indeed it is not good.

2. I know, lets get them to host the World Cup aswell.
  3. He's been a thorn in their side for some years now. There's a permanent police presence outside his house, to the point that he knows the names of the ordinary cops and can drink tea and chat about their families with them. Occasionally, when there's something high-profile on like the Party Congress, humourless types from the MSS take over and that's when it starts getting ominous.

He's not the only one, though. Blogging is the new social dissent in China, using overseas servers and veiled speech to get round censorship. Given the possible consequences, that's an unbelievably brave thing to do. At least Jia has some protection afforded by his notoriety; people would notice if he disappeared.
  4. There will be alot more arrests like this in the run up to the games imo.

5. Wonder if old Dubya will give the world 'Operation Tibetian Freedom' as his leaving presie next January.

I will be protesting China's occupation of Tibet during the Olympics by not eating any of their takeaways or watching their oh so cheap dodgy fake dvds - a true sacrifice for the cause of freeing Tibet!
  6. Tibetans are not exactly flavour of the month it the Carrots household since we heard that the husband of a former classmate of the Jade Dream was beaten up in southern Gansu during the trouble there. I've met the bloke and he seemed like a decent cove for a Party member. Idealistic and didn't really seem to give a shit about the economic theory of it all, he just saw it as a mechanism for making poor people's lives better. He'd been volunteering to teach adult literacy in the poorer parts (Chinese of course, filling out official forms and so on) and it wouldn't surprise me if he'd been targeted precisely because of this.

Or, to put it another way, fuck 'em. There's more people suffering as bad or worse in other parts of China and you don't hear Stephen Spielberg whining about them, the hypocritical tosspot.
  7. What's that carrots? Suspending people by their wrists off the floor and then emerging them in tanks of water to amplify the electrocution of them with cattle prods before laying them out on the floor and them whipping them from head to toe and back with braided wire is endemic across all of China?

My, my... standards have slipped.

Or have they? Is it not actually the case that standards remain the same, and the only thing that's changed is the global onset of the Information Age allowing us to see how ugly things actually are as the common become empowered by having their voices increasingly heard?

One is sorry that the well meaning former classmate of the Jade Dream was beaten by the mob for wearing his Party uniform; one is however wondering how we can reconcile anger at the mob when it is in fact the Party that is to be held ultimately responsible for it's actions...
  8. Groundhog Day already, is it? How time flies...

My point is that Tibetans aren't the only people subjected to the kind of treatment your describing. They aren't even anywhere close to being a majority. In a country where 92% is of one ethnic group, that group will bear the lion's share of everything - good, bad or obscenely brutal. Take a look at the Falun Gong website on the issue (although they're an unpleasant bunch in their own way and have been caught out falsifying evidence; for god's sake, why the need?) - the victims are mostly Han.

The standards haven't changed in the slightest,; you're right, the passage of information makes it easier to see what's going on if you're prepared to look. My gripe is that it's only fashionable to look toward Tibet with it's comparatively small population while ignoring the far more wide-spread abuses across the border. If you're against this sort of thing, you're against it everywhere, but particularly where it's most common. Otherwise it's not a principle, it's just a fashion statement.

And the bloke wasn't in uniform, just his ordinary daily clothes. He wasn't being punished for the sins of the Party, he was being punished for being Chinese without due care and attention. Irish types tried the exact same tactics to reduce contact between the communities.
  9. Funny, I thought I did have a go at all of China before...? I do look, but I choose not to enter into denigrating an entire nation all at once, divide and conquer dear chap.

I can perceive why you'd think this is just a "fashion statement" for many, and on the whole I would agree with you as I too look upon the banner wavers out there as bred from the usual suspects and useful idiots we have in pop and fringe culture.

But I am made of much more stern and sanguine stuff. I don't select from the rarified strata of perceived victimhood to wield as a weapon against the "Man", in fact quite the opposite; I'm all for cracking a few skulls now and again when the pattern of Natural Law is just... Which as you'll find it simply is not the case with the above.

One simply won't apologise for bearing witness.
  10. Fair enough. But, just now and again, it helps to acknowledge that the PRC isn't the same as 'The Chinese', or even 'China'. Once people start to acknowledge that it's biggest victims are the Chinese people themselves, maybe the flag-wavers can have their idiocy put to attacking the disease and not just the symptoms.
  11. If the flag wavers grew a brain cell though they'd be dangerous and wouldn't serve their ultimate destiny as cannon fodder for when the revolution inevitably comes ;)
  12. :D Too true. Why get sandbags shot up when people like that are happy to stand around in crowds?
  13. Three and a half years in jail for a blogger. As I understand it, he wasn't even promoting armed overthrow of the regime; he was just criticising the Chinese leadership and 'the system'. We really need to count our own blessings more often.

Having seen this travesty of justice reported on the news tonight, it's just as well that the Chinese ambassador won't be attending the Olympic torch ceremony in London. I'd be ashamed of my government too.
  14. That was my instant thought when I too heard that snippet on the news dear chap. And indeed we are reminded to count our blessings.

A comment above from carrots has got me thinking along the lines that we never meet someone from China who we don't like, EVER, but how much does the Party machine responsible for such acts simply depend upon this "Art of Face" in order to disguise the brutal machinations of the state machine?

Far too much one perceives, and increasingly as the planet takes a peek behind their slipped mask, we find that the Party tends to sweat all too much.

They, the state apparatus, will be regretting the acceptance of responsibility for the Olympics for long to come, and justly & rightly so.

It's a simple shame that after a prolonged period of having this human rights campaigner placed under house arrest that he now has to serve 3 years behind bars for having the simple audacity of exercising his natural born freedom to speak his mind... he won't be the first or last prisoner of consciousness, but that shouldn't diminish what he's risked, how far, or how universal his simple message of realism has become.
  15. In terms of the external view, you're right. Chinese are (justifiably IMO) proud of their history and culture and this tends to turn into an edgy nationalism when they feel their country is being criticised. It's not uncommon, after all, for people to rally behind even unpopular regimes in the face of a perceived external threat; there's a little bit of tribalism left in the best of us.

As far as the internal view of the CPC is concerned, you couldn't be more wrong. The... well, let's call them nomenklatura fro the sake of familiarity, shall we?... barely disguise their 'brutal machinations' before the public. The public know exactly what CPC is and what it does, in the same way fish are intimately acquainted with the moods of the sea. The mask only really works for us barbarian foreigners.

I'm sorry to say I sincerely doubt the rulers regret a thing over this Olympics. Even if the criticism from abroad rankles, it won't affect their status and power within the country, only another revolution will do that. Foreigners are a disease of the skin while dissidents are a malady of the heart, after all.

The upside is that Jia isn't the only one by far, merely the most high-profile. All over the country there's ordinary men and women working quietly and risking the most abominable brutality to expose corruption and injustice at the hands of the new nobility. Their time will come.