Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaguar XF, any gotchas?

I'm finally putting my 13 year old Mondeo to bed after this winter due to many time warn parts starting to go wrong. I've already replaced the DPF/CAT and flywheel/clutch and various small bits (sensors etc.) are going on a regular basis, so after 5 years it's time to say a sad farewell to it, it has done me sterling service.
To replace it I'm looking to get a Jag XF as they can be picked up with FSH and average miles for around 5/6k.
I chose the Jag because it's not a German car. I don't have anything against German cars per-se but I simply don't like the cockpit and interiors. It feels like you are going to work in a factory, whereas the Jag is reputed to be very comfortable and a pleasure to drive and have a very good mechanical reliability record, or so I'm led to belive.
This was one of the things I value in my Mondeo, it's a very comfortable mile muncher and very well laid out.
I'm just reaching out to see if any Arrsers have one and your expereinces of it, and is there anything I should be aware of before diving in next year?
Any advice greatly received.

**Another consideration is that no one wants to steal an XF given the popularity of German cars amongst the theiving populace. One of the things I love about the Mondeo is you can park it anywhere and it will still be there when you get back :D

Another consideration is that no one wants to steal an XF given the popularity of German cars amongst the theiving populace. One of the things I love about the Mondeo is you can park it anywhere and it will still be there when you get back :D

There are scousers on here laughing at you.

Not being funny, but have you looked at pre cherished Mondeo Vignales?
Basically Titanium X with a shed load of toys & silencing.
1603200158853.png

They were 30k in their day.
Or maybe you are just needing a change.....
I must say, I think Ford in build quality terms have come on leaps & bounds this past decade.

Edit:
Way over budget.
I had no idea they held values such,,which says a lot.

Last edited:
I have had company BMWs, Mercs, Lexus SUV and the usual British suspects of Granada and Carlton.

The XF is by far and away the best of the lot. Ticks all your points of comfort, dolly to drive, reliable, beautiful looks, excellent interior, loads of toys, good mileage (45-50mpg on motorway, which is not bad for a 3L V6 turbo diesel).

Now I am retired and do very low mileage I am thinking of chopping it in for a used XF R model. Might as well have a bit of fun in my dotage. Fancy the supercharged model but not sure of the financials at the moment. Might remain a pipedream.

I've had mine for 6 or 7 years and won't part with it.

Few things to look for

They don't like cheap tyres, they drive like a sack of shit on toffee tyres

Make sure everything works electrically, mine is just starting to give the odd electronic gremlin and they always come back to wiring loom issues (nothing different to any other manufacturer)

Service history!!!!

Don't by a grandads motor, they like being thrashed. Really like it

Listen out for creaking suspension bushes, again nothing different to any other manufacturer but rear wishbones can get bit creaky

Check spare wheel well for water ingress, boot seals can wear and there is a lot of electrickery in there.

Engines, gearboxes and axles give no grief.

When driven with enthusiasm tyre and brake wear can be expensive, rear brakes can wear out faster than fronts

It should drive really well, if it doesn't move on to the next one

I took the opportunity of a great deal back in June to buy an XF, having been looking for a while. Since we‘re not getting a big holiday this year decided to advance replacing my car by a year.
I went a bit newer than you are looking at. 19 plate XF. Ex demonstrator with 6K on the clock. Really, really like it. Comfortable, solid and a great drive. Just been away to Morayshire for 4 days which was first real run. Excellent journey. No stresses, easy driving, really relaxing, all the bits are right in front of you. Huge space in the boot and all seating areas. Plenty of power for nipping past lorries on the A9 and, IMHO, a very stylish motor.
I‘d say go for it with the caveat that I can’t say how good older XFs are. I would hope they stay in good nick but can’t comment really.

Be aware that prices of the current/existing model, both new and used, will probably react to the recent announcement - earlier this month - of a substantially revised version available to order now, and due in the showrooms in the New Year 2021.

Last edited:
I'm finally putting my 13 year old Mondeo to bed after this winter due to many time warn parts starting to go wrong. I've already replaced the DPF/CAT and flywheel/clutch and various small bits (sensors etc.) are going on a regular basis, so after 5 years it's time to say a sad farewell to it, it has done me sterling service.
To replace it I'm looking to get a Jag XF as they can be picked up with FSH and average miles for around 5/6k.
I chose the Jag because it's not a German car. I don't have anything against German cars per-se but I simply don't like the cockpit and interiors. It feels like you are going to work in a factory, whereas the Jag is reputed to be very comfortable and a pleasure to drive and have a very good mechanical reliability record, or so I'm led to belive.
This was one of the things I value in my Mondeo, it's a very comfortable mile muncher and very well laid out.
I'm just reaching out to see if any Arrsers have one and your expereinces of it, and is there anything I should be aware of before diving in next year?
Any advice greatly received.

**Another consideration is that no one wants to steal an XF given the popularity of German cars amongst the theiving populace. One of the things I love about the Mondeo is you can park it anywhere and it will still be there when you get back :D
Can't help with info on the XF, but I agree wholeheartedly with you about the Mondeo. I have a 2007 2.0 litre petrol version with 204k miles on the clock. I bought it in 2010 with 30k showing. Apart from tyres/brake components/oil and filters - the only thing I have had to replace was the coil pack and leads (on one occasion). The car is mainly used for long-distance commuting London-Glasgow area and has performed splendidly. It is a very much underestimated car.

ancient_lbv

Old-Salt
I had 2 XFs - a 2.7 and then the 2.2 facelift replacement. Both good, but the 2.2 was the better car.

The turbo lag on the old 2.7 was horrific - to the point of feeling a bit dangerous. In comparison, the 2.2 was smooth, with bucket loads of power. One hint - when looking, pick the car with up-specced headlights. Standard Jag lights have (IMHO, after 4 in total) been awful, especially halogen. the 2.2 had Xenon which was a great step up but they weren't a patch on the LED lights on the Disco Sport that replaced the XF or the current C class cabriolet Merc.

Not being funny, but have you looked at pre cherished Mondeo Vignales?
Basically Titanium X with a shed load of toys & silencing.
View attachment 513622
They were 30k in their day.
Or maybe you are just needing a change.....
I must say, I think Ford in build quality terms have come on leaps & bounds this past decade.

Edit:
Way over budget.
I had no idea they held values such,,which says a lot.
I didn't know about that model. TBH, I'd have another Mondeo tomorrow, but for the same price as a reasonable one, I can have an XF and I fancy the change.
Just as I feel like I have got on top of a car and got to know all its foilbles I have to start again, but it is fun to learn!
My Mondeo was just a 2.0 TDCi and I'd bought it just as I was getting divorced, so fun money was tight. It has pretty much all they toys I wanted and after putting in an Android head unit provides me with all the multimedia and communication stuff I need, just tether it to my phone and I have Spotify and various sat-nav apps + others at my disposal.

Last edited:

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I had a 3.0S diesel Portfolio. 10-plate pre-facelift.

Lovely car - but never felt 295bhp. The seats had zero lateral support given the sporting pretensions of the chassis.

It was the older 6 speed ZF gearbox which did feel a little antiquated (and used to slip under load), but the face-lift brought in the excellent 8 speed replacement.

The only other gripe I had was the frankly over complicated infotainment. But then again, it was designed by Tata Consulting Services whom I have the absolute displeasure of working with on a project, so I shouldn't have been surprised at how bad it was.

But overall, it was a fantastically well equipped, comfy, decent handling motor. The Bowers and Wilkins stereo was fabulous. The boot is massive too.

Of all its faults, the seats were probably the one that caused me most angst. Comfy but even in mild cornering they were useless at holding you in place.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I had one while my last car was having a paint job, bit unstable at high speed, needs a lot of corrections on motorways. My brother was a traffic officer, now retired. They tried Jaguars and found none suitable due to stability problems. Having said that not many be driving like them. They do seem very well put together with fantastic interiors and very fast.

Have you looked at Macans? True, they are German, but having just spent a half day familiarisation at Silverstone with a Porsche instructor they are amazing cars. Interiors however are very personal things, and I like lots of physical buttons. The PDK gearbox is superb, average around 30mpg for the petrol Macan S.
I got 12 out of the one I drove at Silverstone, doing the usual stuff - Launch Control, lane change at 70mph, emergency stop from 70, Ice Hill and skid pan, plus trying to keep up with the instructor on the handling track

Latest Threads