Jaffa Cakes: Biscuit or Cake- You are the Jury!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by wessex_warrior, Sep 14, 2006.

?
  1. a cake?

40.2%
  2. a biscuit?

46.3%
  3. a really pathetic thing to argue about?

13.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There has been much discussion on these pages over the "is it a cake, is it a biscuit" issue of the humble jaffa cake. Although i hesitate to broach such clearly devisive and emotive subject I feel it is important that the issue be cleared up once and for all.

W_W

2. Its a cake.....end of

3. Jaff cakes are classified as a cake but the British government is attempting to get it reclassified as a biscuit. This would mean it would come under a higher tax bracket as biscuits aren't as perishable as cakes

4. Jaffa Cakes - Deliciously self centred

The original recipe for McVitie's Jaffa Cakes is a closely guarded secret, the delicious combination of light sponge, dark chocolate and smashing orangey bit in the middle was first created over 60 years ago.

Back in 1991, we fought a battle with the VAT man to prove that Jaffa Cakes are cakes, not biscuits, and therefore should not attract VAT.

In 1994 McVitie's launched Mini Jaffa Cakes and Jaffa Cake Bars, to appeal to the growing lunchbox market. 1999 saw the introduction of the innovative 'Tubes' packaging and 2002 was the year of the Jaffa Mini Roll launch.

Jaffa Cakes are known for being irresistible but unfortunately, not everyone is prepared to get their Jaffa Cakes honestly. Remember the Munchkins, who would do almost anything to get hold them! They were followed by another desperate mob in the 1990's known as the Orangey Tangs who loved the orangey bit in the middle so much so we had to completely cover the Jaffa Cakes in chocolate, for a limited time, to keep them out.

The Jaffa Cakes brand team scored a McVitie's first in July 2000, when they signed a sponsorship deal with Manchester United. Jaffa Cakes became one of Man Utd's eleven 'platinum' sponsors but the only one focussing on kids in the UK. Jaffa Cakes were already enjoyed by the team and were officially launched as the teams favourite half time snack. The campaign's success was based on the product truth that Jaffa Cakes are low in fat and high in carbohydrates and so are a great energy provider.

It was for this very reason that Sven announced that Jaffa Cakes would join the England squad in Japan for the 2002 World Cup as part of their training diet. The publicity was amazing, culminating in a spectacular story of a McVitie's Jaffa Cake being found with the face of David Beckham, the team captain, on it!!!

In 2006 the fact that each Jaffa Cake is only 1g of fat has featured in the new advertising.

Two new flavour variants were launched in February 2006:

Lemon & Lime
    Blackcurrant

Jaffa cakes are the official energy snack of the England Football team in the 2006 World Cup.

5. I'm all for tax dodges me. ITS A CAKE, if only to cheat Brown the bastrad out of 1 penny I'll declare night to be day!!

6. Is Jaffa the gaffa in your house Wessex? :D

7. i bet it took you ages to think that one up PTP.

8. Biscuits go soggy as they age.... if left uneaten in a cupboard, where as cakes go stale and hard.... Uneaten Jaffa Cakes go stale and hard.... therefore they are a CAKE?!!

9. Mine never last that long :D

Supermarkets tend to put them with the biscuits though don't they?

10. uneaten jaffa cakes? now I know you're taking the piss! The little bastards have a life expectancy comparable with a republican gaurd T55 crew.

11. It's a tiny tasty cake !

12. full moon - half moon - total eclipse

13. Not really Wessex , I like the fig roll myself :D

Superb cakes and excellent advertising , what's not to like?

14. spot on LMS, the word biscuit means roughly "twice Baked" a buiscuit is devoid of moisture and extracts it from the atmosphere to go soft.
    whereas a Cake is laden with moisture and looses it going dry and stale!

15. Cakeuit or should it be Biscake??