• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Jacqui Smith pledges 300 new police

'Extra Special' PCSOs?

  • Stupid, gubmint promoted waste of time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They'll help us get the Muslim community to our Sunday jumble sales in no time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have law enforcement?

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
Our beloved home secretary has pledged an additional 300 'special community outreach' type police to specifically help build relationships with the Muslim community. The Muslim Council are objectionable to this idea, saying it will harm relations. So, just another waste of money on more non-jobs, a cynical spin ploy or actually of any use, freeing 'normal' police to get on with their regular work (manning speed cameras etc)?

Linky
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
300 more PCSO's with no power to arrest and every one knowing they have no power to arrest walking the streets for £25k a piece isn't going to halt anything never mind terrorisim
A complete and utter waste of time in my opinion I doubt it will even fill the gaps caused by real police leaving the force
 
#5
What the lying bitch really means is that another 300 PC's/PCSO's will be diverted from their core tasks to carrying out another PR excercise.

If she really wants to put more effort into Anti-Terr thing, she should pass a little more funding to the Security Services who are not also required to the other policing stuff and then presumably the extra dosh will be in the hands of people who can concentrate on that
 
#7
Ms Smith said the 300 new jobs included police officers and civilian staff
My apologies, thread title was possibly a bit misleading. From this I'm reading 20 extra special PCSOs and 280 civillian staff to administer, process claims, create red tape and drink brews! Should make a huge difference! :x
 
#8
There is a question as to whether or not there is any NEW money here, or whether or not it is being diverted from other resources in an already stretched budget (see any similarities here? :X )

Any old hoo. Why have an outreach programme? Lets just have the PC's whose area it is start getting out of their motors (that they are forced into by "Targetted Policing" (Read Quotas)) and start talking to these people themselves.

Hand out a couple of cards, get the face known, Tell Mrs Hussein that Inzi was a bit of a naughty boy yesterday - you know as Carrots said - Policing....
 
#9
Speedkuff said:
What the lying bitch really means is that another 300 PC's/PCSO's will be diverted from their core tasks to carrying out another PR excercise.

If she really wants to put more effort into Anti-Terr thing, she should pass a little more funding to the Security Services who are not also required to the other policing stuff and then presumably the extra dosh will be in the hands of people who can concentrate on that
She was getting flamed on the Today programme this morning, but claimed that these are new police officers rather than PCSO's and that they would be new appointments. Wasn't convinced personally as she appeared to be a bit too evasive about whether it was new money or not.

Mind you Jaqui Smith sounds evasive even on the rare occasions when she's talking sense!
 
#11
Its not really an extra 300 rozzers at all, as Humberside has recently announced it will be getting rid of 300 constables.

Seems like someone has been getting announcement tips from the SoS for Defence.
 
#12
What a load of tosh. Due to the reducing budgets from the home orifice to the police forces SWORN (ie real) officer numbers will reduce dramatically by 2011. My force, for example, of 1600 officers is due to lose about 150 posts by then. That's almost 10%, though i dare say PCSO numbers will continue to rise.

Another Home Office happy happy headline, but it won't achieve anything. They want to plow the money into a PA for every shift to sort out their paperwork and allow tham back on the streets.
 
#13
"They want to plow the money into a PA for every shift to sort out their paperwork and allow tham back on the streets."

EXACTLY!!! I recently did a ride along with an american bobby in Florida in a similar sized force to my own. We spent a shift together doing most of the same things that I would expect to do on a late turn except that I noticed that we hadn't gone back to the station for any clerical time.

I thought that this was a little strange and asked him if I was digging into his enquiry/clerical time by being along for the ride so to speak.

He looked at me as though I was an idiot and explained that in his force, he is a patrol officer and thus spends his time on patrol, the detectives concern themselves with investigation and all departments have a series of clerical assistants to dig through the paperwork.

We then carried out an arrest of a disqualified driver and I was shocked to find that instead of the 10-12 pages of crap and interview and custody time that I'd expect to carry out, they had a simple system.

Arrest the guy (Nice bloke to talk to actually)

Convey to police station. Book him in and fingerprint and photograph.

Write the arrest statement and complete 3 forms.

Convey to County Jail.

Book him in.

Resume patrol.

"Will you have more stuff to do afterwards?" I asked and again he looked at me as though I was some type of paperwork junky and said "No, that's it. How else can you spend time on patrol if you're inside?"

And when you consider that the US is one of the most litigious societies on the planet, it seems to me that the public is being hugely cheated of police presence on the streets by a systemic inability to manage the clerical burden which keeps us off the streets.

Even with target chasing, we could still spend more time doing more of the stuff the public wants if the clerical thing was done right.

Don't get me wrong, there aren't any conscripts in the police and yes I could leave if I hated it that badly but I think we could deffers do it more efficiently... A bit off topic but WTF :)
 
#14
psychobabble said:
Speedkuff said:
What the lying bitch really means is that another 300 PC's/PCSO's will be diverted from their core tasks to carrying out another PR excercise.

If she really wants to put more effort into Anti-Terr thing, she should pass a little more funding to the Security Services who are not also required to the other policing stuff and then presumably the extra dosh will be in the hands of people who can concentrate on that
She was getting flamed on the Today programme this morning, but claimed that these are new police officers rather than PCSO's and that they would be new appointments. Wasn't convinced personally as she appeared to be a bit too evasive about whether it was new money or not.

Mind you Jaqui Smith sounds evasive even on the rare occasions when she's talking sense!
She didn't answer the question asked if they were new positions!!!! Talked over the interviewer and told her what she wanted to say, typical New Liabor!!!!! So from that ladies & gents, guess what you want!!!
 
#15
[quote="psychobabble"}

She was getting flamed on the Today programme this morning, but claimed that these are new police officers rather than PCSO's and that they would be new appointments. Wasn't convinced personally as she appeared to be a bit too evasive about whether it was new money or not.

Mind you Jaqui Smith sounds evasive even on the rare occasions when she's talking sense![/quote]

Evasive doesn't even start to describe her performance on 'Today'. At stages it was developing into a shrill (scripted) rant, as she repeatedly rolled out her speech without answering the frigging question. Such a shame that interviewers are allowed to ask questions rather than sit there like good little people without interrupting or questioning such Very Important Ministers.
 
#16
To help build relationships with the Muslim community? And this is the crux of it..Thatcher said there was no such thing as society....we have been forced multiculturalism...and then diversity...now we have separate communities...community leaders....and now we need people from our side (christian british) to beg their side (foreign moslem) to please like us and interract with us (on their terms still of course, and obviously via their community leaders).
There is one culture that is England. It has a long, rich and blood bought history. Multiculturalism, diverse communities and their leaders and incomers that have no intention of learning the lingo nor fitting into this broadly Christian country with its established culture must be fukced off out of it immediately. Immigrants who have no intention of assimilating are not incomers but intruders.
Have we not been hospitable enough already? Let them send their 'community leaders' to us to re assure us that they want to fit in and adapt to our way of life. Let them express gratitude to us for accepting them into our fold. Let's stop this ridiculous snivelling polite appeasement and lets demand some good manners from any who would join us here instead. Hiring special police support to attempt to bridge the cavern between a group that has no intention of fitting in and the rest of us is once again the government just missing the point.
 
#17
dui-lai said:
psychobabble said:
Speedkuff said:
What the lying bitch really means is that another 300 PC's/PCSO's will be diverted from their core tasks to carrying out another PR excercise.

If she really wants to put more effort into Anti-Terr thing, she should pass a little more funding to the Security Services who are not also required to the other policing stuff and then presumably the extra dosh will be in the hands of people who can concentrate on that
She was getting flamed on the Today programme this morning, but claimed that these are new police officers rather than PCSO's and that they would be new appointments. Wasn't convinced personally as she appeared to be a bit too evasive about whether it was new money or not.

Mind you Jaqui Smith sounds evasive even on the rare occasions when she's talking sense!
She didn't answer the question asked if they were new positions!!!! Talked over the interviewer and told her what she wanted to say, typical New Liabor!!!!! So from that ladies & gents, guess what you want!!!
Whether you believe her or not ( I didn't!), she did answer that question and said they were new posts. What she didn't say was whether they were new or diverted officers...
 
#19
So what is the role of these outreach officers?

Applying the law of the land?
Keeping the Queen's Peace?
Monitoring the number of girls taken out of school at 13 to be married to cousins they've never met?
Monitoring the number of children taken out of school for months at a time for 'cultural visits to the home country'?

In the case of the first two, we should have enough police to do that for everyone, and in the case of the second two, we should have enough police and truancy officers to do that anyway.
 
#20
chimera said:
She is also now being accused of shameless electioneering in an attempt to try and reduce the extent to which Labour are going to get caned in the local elections next week:


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7350300.stm
Just the Tories grabbing at straws. :roll:

The Lib Dem position is

But Chris Huhne, for the Liberal Democrats, said it would be "churlish" to criticise the announcement as a breach of election law, as the money had been announced last year, in the Comprehensive Spending Review.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts