Builds Jacques Yves Cousteau's Calypso 1/125th scale Ocean Exploration Vessel

Been casting around the stash for a kit to get on with while I wait for replacement parts for my M3 Grant build. I've had this on the list of kits to build and place in a glass case for ages.
box art.jpg

Knowing my luck I'll get my head around the project and the suspension parts will arrive from Miniart. But if I start this, the Grant will have to wait in line. The start point, and moment of no return is the first kit part cut off the sprue, not there yet, so lets take a closer look at the kit.
jaques.jpg

the man himself Jacques Cousteau, and the man behind the project to turn an ex RN mine sweeper from WW2, into a state of the art research and exploration ship, but his biggest decision was to make the whole enterprise a media platform for TV.
phillip and jack.jpg

These are all pictures on the kit box, Jac and his son Phillip, who was tragically killed in a crash of the projects PBY Catalina sea plane.
so what's it look like when I lift the lid and take a sniff of the plastic.
box content b.jpg

the kit doesn't look to have a massive high parts count, I'm guessing, there will be plenty of opportunity for a bit of scratch building/superdetailing, but there won't be a PE set for this kit. Like the mini submarine, two parts.
dive vessel.jpg

what the kit box suggests it should look like
pictures of mini subs.jpg

the kit includes Divers in the water and sharks, I'd have much prefered deck crew and divers kitting up, but Revell must have been thinking of me when I was about 12, when this kit was released. So I will have to keep an eye out for 1/125th crew, or, make it a full hull model, it does have that observation chamber, down there at the bottom of the bow.
divers in the water.jpg

make it as a pristine white ship, or as it looks now, after having foundered and then been raised , sat unloved rotting away in a ship museum, patched up and rusting away.

Last edited:
Ah yes, The World About Us compulsive Sunday evening viewing in our house.
With my best Cousteau accent....We doercked ze Calipso and enturd ze watare.
@SPROCKET321 can you get film crew group of figures to scale?

With my best Cousteau accent....We doercked ze Calipso and enturd ze watare.
@SPROCKET321 can you get film crew group of figures to scale?
Not sure if I could get such a specific subject in such a typical Revell odd scale, Revell fitted the kit to the box and worked out the scale later, unlike Airfix, who stuck to 1/600 as a standard ship scale, so you know how big Airfix HMS Suffolk was compared to the Airfix Bismarck.

If I do figures I may have to scratch build them (shiver!)

Not sure if I could get such a specific subject in such a typical Revell odd scale, Revell fitted the kit to the box and worked out the scale later, unlike Airfix, who stuck to 1/600 as a standard ship scale, so you know how big Airfix HMS Suffolk was compared to the Airfix Bismarck.

If I do figures I may have to scratch build them (shiver!)
This afternoon I watched a couple of YouTube films on the further Restoration of Calypso. At the end of part two, they managed to get most of the ships main ribs replaced that needing replacement. They also got a lot of the steel bulkheads and lower hull planks replaced. And they ran out of money!
Next one was a short explaining there was a fire on Calypso in the Turkish dockyard, where she’s being rebuilt.

// Drifting (which seems appropriate!) //

Cousteau's chef from the Calypso days has a restaurant in our town in Spain. There is a massive (papier mache?) hard hat diver outside. Inside are lots of pictures of 'the old days'.

// Back on track. //

This afternoon I watched a couple of YouTube films on the further Restoration of Calypso. At the end of part two, they managed to get most of the ships main ribs replaced that needing replacement. They also got a lot of the steel bulkheads and lower hull planks replaced. And they ran out of money!
Next one was a short explaining there was a fire on Calypso in the Turkish dockyard, where she’s being rebuilt.
lets hope the French have better luck restoring Notre Dame.

You may find some inspiration from this film...

Cracking film with some great actors...

...and the crew wear red hats like Cousteau :)

opening moves on the kit, the Grant parts still haven't arrived so I'm cracking on with this. I've removed the port and starboard hull sides from the sprues and smoothed off the attachment burrs.
port and starboard hull sides.jpg

paying close attention to the observation chamber, I'm going to make a feature of it by opening up the portholes and forming little panes of glass using PVA white glue, which as you know, dries clear.
port and starboard observation chamber.jpg

It must have taken a bit of nerve to climb down the tight passageway into the tiny, close observation chamber, job for a member of the crew who does not suffer claustrophobia.
obs chamber in cu.jpg

opening moves on the kit, the Grant parts still haven't arrived so I'm cracking on with this. I've removed the port and starboard hull sides from the sprues and smoothed off the attachment burrs.
View attachment 565962
paying close attention to the observation chamber, I'm going to make a feature of it by opening up the portholes and forming little panes of glass using PVA white glue, which as you know, dries clear.
View attachment 565963
It must have taken a bit of nerve to climb down the tight passageway into the tiny, close observation chamber, job for a member of the crew who does not suffer claustrophobia.
View attachment 565964
Have another look at that film, I don’t think that Observation Chamber is the right shape. Bit longer and portholes not as many and slightly bigger.

Latest Threads