Jackson fears Army will remain in Iraq for years

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Nov 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. full story at http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=585402

2. No mission creep then :roll:

3. OC of the Army? That's a nifty new appointment.

4. In Iraq for years??

You don't say!!!!

5. Christ, is it beyond the newspapers to have at least one sub-editor on staff that can correct basic factual errors.

6. Well, what a surprise.

7. Come on, seriously. Who did not think that we would be in Iraq for years to come! Especially now the Insurgents have really kicked off.

The amazing thing is the way the Government and the General staff lie. Still thats politics for you.

8. X-Inf

X-Inf War Hero Book Reviewer

So, now that it has finally been said, the Army is to stay in Iraq for probably a considerable amount of time. Lets see how we can help the Army.

PoD "I know, let's axe 4 infantry Regiments. That will make life easy for everyone!" :twisted:

9. The article ends with the following puzzling paragraph:

42nd changed its name to a county town? WTF?

10. This is quoted in Richard Holmes' 'Redcoat', among other quotes from soldiers at the time (the Cardwell reforms of 1881) who swore that a name meant nothing and that the regimental number was all.

42nd as in 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot; merged with the 73rd to form the 1st and 2nd Bns of ..........The Black Watch! Clever of old pouch-eyes to remind us all that the BW are themselves a merger.....

Presumably the old soldier who is quoted did actally die before the reforms came about... Unless you can think of a town called 'The Black Watch'?

11. [quote="hackle
    42nd changed its name to a county town? WTF?[/quote]

Aye, Hackle. It's Schwarztewacht in Lower Saxony. :wink:

12. Aye, Hackle. It's Schwarztewacht in Lower Saxony. :wink:[/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stabtastic - well recognised quote! Now if you could tell us what else POD has been reading....

13. stab old son - the 73rd Regiment of Foot were originally the 2nd Battlion of the 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot.

I would therefore put it to you that it was more of a home coming than a merger.

Please feel free to seek confirmation from Balhousie Castle - i'm sure they would be more than happy to arrange a tour

14. I'll give you that; you're correct. But it was funnier not to mention it just to see how much indignation came over the net. :wink:

I'll pass on the Balhousie Castle thing though. In a few weeks it looks like I'll have two more regimental HQ's to get familiar with anyway..... and I won't be mentioning the word 'tour' to the Mrs for a while either.