Jackson fears Army will remain in Iraq for years

Jackson fears Army will remain in Iraq for years
By Colin Brown, Deputy Political Editor
22 November 2004

British troops will be sent to help the US in conflict zones anywhere inside Iraq, prompting fears that soldiers could be stuck in the most dangerous parts of the country fighting insurgents for years to come.

General Sir Mike Jackson, the officer commanding the Army, said in an interview with The Independent yesterday that troops could again be dispatched outside the Basra area to help the US and Iraqi forces if the insurgent threat escalates. The deployment could also go on beyond the end of 2005 when the US mandate for the coalition to stay in the country expires. "It is event-driven," he said.

Sir Mike's remarks will raise fears among critics of the war that Britain is being sucked deeper into the mire in Iraq by extending its mission.

Sir Mike said that all the British operations had been in the Basra area "until this one-off deployment of the Black Watch. That is not to say, in the future, there may not be a military requirement of the coalition as a whole for a British unit or units to be elsewhere".

The Black Watch would be pulled back within a few weeks and would not be replaced at Camp Dogwood, he said.

Sir Mike rejected claims by the Liberal Democrat leader, Charles Kennedy, that the Black Watch deployment was a sign of "mission creep''. "The mission is to provide Iraq with its political and economic future," he said. "That's the mission."

Sir Mike also appeared to suggest that the British deployment could go on beyond December 2005, when the mandate for the coalition in Iraq officially ends. "How long we stay there is going to be event-driven," he said.

Iraq was now more "challenging", he said, adding: "It's clear a minority - and I believe a pretty small minority - of Iraqis with some outside assistance cannot face the idea of progress in Iraq and are prepared to do some pretty revolting things to prevent it. And they cannot be allowed to succeed."
full story at http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/story.jsp?story=585402

Sir Mike rejected claims by the Liberal Democrat leader, Charles Kennedy, that the Black Watch deployment was a sign of "mission creep''. "The mission is to provide Iraq with its political and economic future," he said. "That's the mission."

Sir Mike also appeared to suggest that the British deployment could go on beyond December 2005, when the mandate for the coalition in Iraq officially ends. "How long we stay there is going to be event-driven," he said.
No mission creep then :roll:

In Iraq for years??

You don't say!!!!

Christ, is it beyond the newspapers to have at least one sub-editor on staff that can correct basic factual errors.
General Sir Mike Jackson, the officer commanding the Army

E

error_unknown

"General Sir Mike Jackson, Chief of the General Staff, today exclusively revealed that the Pope is a Catholic, the cheque is not, in reality, in the post and that he is planning to come in your mouth..."
Well, what a surprise.

Come on, seriously. Who did not think that we would be in Iraq for years to come! Especially now the Insurgents have really kicked off.

The amazing thing is the way the Government and the General staff lie. Still thats politics for you.

X-Inf

War Hero
Book Reviewer
So, now that it has finally been said, the Army is to stay in Iraq for probably a considerable amount of time. Lets see how we can help the Army.

PoD "I know, let's axe 4 infantry Regiments. That will make life easy for everyone!" :twisted:

hackle said:
Another piece in today's "POD edition" of the Independent.

General Sir Mike Jackson: 'I was skating on some thin ice, but I made damn certain I was not going to fall through'
The Monday Interview: Chief of the General Staff
By Colin Brown, Deputy Political Editor

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/story.jsp?story=585369
The article ends with the following puzzling paragraph:

Sir Mike recalls that the obituary of one old soldier said he would be glad to have died before his regiment had been reduced from the 42nd to the name of a county town. Sir Mike, a member of Mensa, said: "Plus ça change.
42nd changed its name to a county town? WTF?

This is quoted in Richard Holmes' 'Redcoat', among other quotes from soldiers at the time (the Cardwell reforms of 1881) who swore that a name meant nothing and that the regimental number was all.

42nd as in 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot; merged with the 73rd to form the 1st and 2nd Bns of ..........The Black Watch! Clever of old pouch-eyes to remind us all that the BW are themselves a merger.....

Presumably the old soldier who is quoted did actally die before the reforms came about... Unless you can think of a town called 'The Black Watch'?

[quote="hackle
42nd changed its name to a county town? WTF?[/quote]

Aye, Hackle. It's Schwarztewacht in Lower Saxony. :wink:

claymore said:
[quote="hackle
42nd changed its name to a county town? WTF?
Aye, Hackle. It's Schwarztewacht in Lower Saxony. :wink:[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stabtastic - well recognised quote! Now if you could tell us what else POD has been reading....

stab old son - the 73rd Regiment of Foot were originally the 2nd Battlion of the 42nd Highland Regiment of Foot.

I would therefore put it to you that it was more of a home coming than a merger.

Please feel free to seek confirmation from Balhousie Castle - i'm sure they would be more than happy to arrange a tour

I'll give you that; you're correct. But it was funnier not to mention it just to see how much indignation came over the net. :wink:

I'll pass on the Balhousie Castle thing though. In a few weeks it looks like I'll have two more regimental HQ's to get familiar with anyway..... and I won't be mentioning the word 'tour' to the Mrs for a while either.

not to mention that the name "Black Watch" was not invented and imposed by the Cardwell reforms