jacking it in.

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by CivPlod, Jul 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any you chaps(plod) jacked it in between 10-20 years service?

I cant seem to bring myself to enjoy it(if I ever did) any more, the pointless PC bollocks, the Scottish Crime Recording Standard, the promoted ranks above Sgt, who seem to believe that they know the job better (despite having far less street experience), etc etc etc ad inf

Anyway back on thread, had anyone made the jump and left (not sacked or required to resign), what did you go to, did you set up a company on your own etc, was it/is it worth it?

There's a few lads, mostly ex services with under three years service, looking to leave/have signed back up, because of the shite above, which got me thinking about leaving again(I was going to RMAS when I had 5 years service, until the wife talked me out of it, which I regret, a lot, since I'm a reservist)

CP

2. Not enjoy it? You obviously need to smack more hoodies on the head with your truncheon.

3. I wouldn't if I were you. To me it is just a job (lets be honest, it is quiet well paid) and with only 5 yrs left I can see the light at the end of the tunnell. Just remember the **** arounds we had in the mob (basic training!) and nothing is as bad as that. Keep your head down and stag on.

4. I'm struggling to keep my head up. I agree with western on a lot of his posts. I have tried the "just a job mentality", but the gaffers just wind me up. I have argued with them black and blue this week that 4 calls I attended weren't crimes, got told to put on crime reports to cover my back(or theirs more to the point) and then had them, surprisingly, no crimed by the crime manager. For the detractors reading this, it gets very boring "covering your back" when you know there's no need and thus is why we don't manage to attend to things as quickly as we like, which in turn frustrates me, when I am contrary to the beliefs on here/the papers etc, trying to provide a good service.

5. Yes, I went onto the security circuit, financially the best move I ever made. I take home over five times what I did per day in the police. I miss it though. PM for more info.

6. I have 3 years to go to 55, with by then, 20 years in. I was going to stay til 60, but have decided to go in 3 years.
    I hope the pension I have acrued, will be left alone, or I will have to go earlier.
    TJF.

7. Giving serious consideration to leaving in 2015 when the PPS gets frozen and we're put on the new scheme. I'll have 16yrs of pension with my army service but will only be about 38. That's plenty of time to have another career. I do have a plan about my own business but it relied on me leaving the job in 18yrs time with a gratuity and a decent yearly income.

I actually think that the pension needs to be addressed because it is too expensive. I'm getting to the point where Im thinking more about what sort of society my children will have to bring their children up in than worry about getting a final salary pension.

8. Simplest thing to do is to make a list, Positives on one side, negs on the other. Be honest with yourself. Then walk away and come back to it after a few days, tally up and make a decision. Life is not a destination its a journey!

9. Can you still get half pay pension after 25 years as a copper?

If so, stay in, until that point.

A respectable job, decent pay, job security, paid holidays,subsidised housing(?) and a good pension scheme? To me its a no brainer

Have you thought of studying part time to get a sense of challenge or a new hobby?

If you think you may be suffering from "burn out" or depression go and see you GP.

Can you book a long holiday that may put things into perspective?

How about an internal transfer to traffic or CID etc.

Can you take leave without pay that will allow you to try a new career without the risk of leaving a good job?

Have a chat with the Federation so you know your options and rights before making a move.

Like I say, in the current economic climate it may be sensible to stay put.

10. Don't do anything daft mate, especially based on my opinions.

11. I'm not being sarcastic mate, but if you want to ensure burn out or depression go into CID.

Long hours, more responsibilty than equivalent higher uniform ranks and less pay.

12. My tuppence worth, for what it's worth mate. You're not alone. I reckon the majority of us (certainly below Inspector!) experience what you're going through. I know I, and many I work with have. Maybe consider a career break? I know one colleague who did this. Took 18 months and went off to London. Worked in a completely unrelated field during their time out. Came back, re-engaged, got stuck back in and is now happy as the proverbial swine. From speaking with them, this individual believed having taken time out they were better able to weigh up the pro and cons of the job more objectively.

13. I jumped ship at 8.5 years in and went to Canada. I'm glad I did, the writing was on the wall when I first started looking at it in 2006.

14. I left in 02 after 15 years, but took a career break so as to keep my options open. I went and spent a few years with the UN and then a lot of time doing security for the FCO, I have been fortunate and I dont think the opportunies are around like they used to be. I have never looked back.

My advice - study something relevant and something you enjoy, I did terrorism (St Andrews Uni) and security (Portsmouth Uni)

I have found a UK Policing backgroud gets you in the door and to the interview table but security employers are looking for more, hence the sudying.

Have you though about emmigrating, I have a few friends in the job out here in Canada, the whinging is similar but they are all happy with their lot.

I wish you all the best

15. Are there opportunities for an experienced rozzer in other countries? Someone I used to know vaguely moved to Septicaemia about ten years ago and got a job as a copper in one of the Southern states, can't remember which, it might have been as a State Trooper. Anyhow, he'd married a bird with huge melons and one of those, 'Y'all, ain't it, honey is thayyut you' accents, was building his own house and starting a collection of assault rifles.

There are worse ways to spend your life.