Jackie Pallo RIP

RIP Jackie Pallo from the great days of TV Wrestling. Proper stuff, loved by grannies up and down the land, and much better than the yank cr@p of today

Easy ! Easy !

Jackie 'Mr TV' Pallo...

Les Kellett

Johhnie Kwango

Mick McManus

The Royle Brothers (Bert and his rather gay looking younger brother).

Billy Two Rivers

And a bit later...

Giant Haystacks

Big Daddy

Oh my Saturday afternoons long gone by...

And Kent Walton; 'Hello grapple fans'

Edited for typo and to add the Zebra Kid, Belle Vue, Manchester circa 1966

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tibor Szacasz....Kent Walton was the only one who could pronounce his name

'Fit' Finley

Adrian 'Golden Boy' Street

Tag wrestling from Wrexham Hippodrome !!

" Ivan the Terrible...from the Steppes...two famous holds...never been beaten.......the Half Pretzel broke your back and The Full Pretzel killed ya ! Intae yim !intae yim!...garn Shuggie...we are The Champions !! "

( I think I need a drink....sorry...I'll get my anorak....) :lol:

Poor old Jackie Pallo, villain no more. Requiescat.

Go back even further and you'll see my grandad, Dave Armstrong, gettiing beat for the British Heavyweight title in Newcastle. Been told that this may have been the fight he broke his leg in - apparently you could here it right at the back of the audience.

They came over to do a CSE type tour to Germany while I was at Wildenrath, early 80's. One of the lads in the sqn fancied himself a bit and one of them Tony(?) St Clair offered him into the ring. He then picked him up, spun him round his head a couple of times and slung him into Row F. Class!

George Kidd--master wrestler-TOP MAN.__Leon Arras(from Paris)better known as Brian Glover(actor--Porridge,Kes --from Bradford!)Andy Robbins(with Hercules the bear)"Judo"Pat Roach(Auf Wiedersehn pet)Les Kellet(Clown of the ring)I know most of it was b---s--t,but always watched on Saturdays and Wednesday nights,used to go to it "live",and a couple of weeks later would see the same "contestants" go through moves and holds on tv.I've still got a well filled autograph book somewhere,from the well known(Mick Mcmanus)to the unremembered(ALL THE WAY FROM REIGATE,IN MOZAMBIQUE--COLIN "BOMBER HARRIS)Good days.

PS---Don't knock them,as some were well 'ard(and supple/strong)-asTHE GURU attested.

the_guru said:
RIP Jackie Pallo from the great days of TV Wrestling. Proper stuff, loved by grannies up and down the land, and much better than the yank cr@p of today

Easy ! Easy !
You watch pro wrestling? You're joking, right?

Yerse, Saturday afternoon ITV Grapple, watching a screaming loon shouting and jumping up and down, waving arms, "ghost" boot going in....enough about my Grandma, the wrestling was good too.
Remember Pat Roach (RIP) moving on to Auf Wiedersehn Pet, "Bomber's ready"......met him not so many years ago on holiday in the Med, must have been in his late 60's - fcuking fittest bloke around the pool, still built like a brick sh1thouse.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
YANK60 said:
the_guru said:

Easy ! Easy !
You watch pro wrestling? You're joking, right?
Er Yank...this is nothing to do with WWF and The Rock and all that sh1te...different animal altogether.....

Staaken.....Pat Roach is the guy throwing 6'2" 200 lb Sean Connery all over the place like a piece of fluff in the Health Farm fight in one of the Bond films "Never Say Never Again" .....I bet not many people kicked sand in his face even in his 60's.

Sadly, I came across this obit:

http://www.einsiders.com/features/columns/2004_review_obituaries.php

PAT ROACH Died July 13, 2004

Wrestler turned actor Pat Roach died of cancer at age 67. Mr. Roach appeared in some of the most popular films of all time. He was best known as one of the leads in the BBC TV series "Auf Weiersehen Pet." The TV series just began filming its newest season. Those unfamiliar with the BBC action series will recognize Mr. Roach for his memorable cameos in several popular films. Mr. Roach appeared in all three of the "Indiana Jones" films. In "Raiders of the Lost Ark." Mr. Roach played the bald-headed Nazi who fought Harrison Ford underneath a pilotless German fighter aircraft. The photo at right shows Mr. Roach in each of the three "Indiana Jones" films. Roach fought Sean Connery’s James Bond in "Never Say Never Again." Mr. Roach was the evil General Kael, chief henchman for Queen Bavmorda (Jean Marsh) in Ron Howard’s "Willow." The character's name was a tribute to the famed film critic Pauline Kael. Stanley Kubrick gave Mr. Roach his first movie job. Mr. Roach was one of the bouncers at the Korova Milk Bar in the opening sequence of "A Clockwork Orange." Kubrick also gave Mr. Roach a part in his period piece "Barry Lyndon." It was Mr. Roach’s character, the mythic god Hephaestus who created the annoying robotic owl in Ray Harryhausen’s final film "Clash of the Titans." Other credits include the final part of Richard Lester’s "Musketeer Trilogy": "The Return of the Musketeers," Kevin Costner’s "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves," "Red Sonja" and "Conan the Destroyer."

I saw 'kung fu' fight the 'Wildman of Borneo' with 'Cat weasle' and 'Kid Chocolate' (no race relations in those days, I tell ya!) on the supporting bill whilst on holiday in Llandudno circa 1975. There was even ladies wrestling with Princess Paula aka The Cherokee Princess, who later married Dave Fit Finlay- that dirty bog trotter.
Anyway, I have always wondered if Mick McManus used to use a 'putting on' and a 'taking off' brush for applying the kiwi black parade gloss to his hair.

my personal fave was "rollerball" Rocco...

many a happy afternoon spent watching two "slightly overweight" middle aged men tussling around to the sound of screaming pensioners...

the slap of a flat hand on canvas with the cry of "NOOOOOO REF" followed by an innefective twist of the arm...

happy days.