Jabba The Hutt

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by metellus cimber, Jun 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. metellus cimber

metellus cimber Old-Salt Book Reviewer

This story would be funny if it were not so pathetic. Lego, the children's construction game, produced a new kit called "Jabba's Palace." Everyone who has seen Star Wars will remember the obese and revolting monster Jabba the Hutt. The character was incorporated into the Star Wars merchandising campaign that corresponded with the theatrical release of Return of the Jedi. Besides the films, Jabba the Hutt is featured in Star Wars literature and is sometimes referenced by his full name, Jabba Desilijic Tiure.[SUP][/SUP]

Jabba the Hutt's image has since played an influential role in popular culture, particularly in the United States. The name is used as a satirical literary device and a political caricature to underscore negative qualities such as morbid obesity and corruption.

Most of us would prefer not (not) to identify with Jabba, but some Muslims evidently do. There was suddenly a demand that Jabba's Palace be withdrawn from sale. The grounds were the following:

(A) Jabba's Palace, which is imaginary, looks rather like the Aghia Sofia mosque in Istanbul;

(B) Jabba himself, an obese. sybaritic terrorist, who has people killed at whim, just might be construed as a caricature of a Muslim; especially as he smokes a sheesha (water pipe, hubble-bubble or hookah). Well, you said it; we did not!

I regret to tell you that Lego have caved in. We may expect to see Jabba edited out of Star Wars as well.

Comment: If the cap fits, wear it! If you do not like it, don't behave like Jabba!

Note: Aghia Sofia was constructed as a Patriarchal cathedral in 537 and served as such until 1453. With the Turkish conquest, it became a mosque. Its conversaion was and is deeply offensive to Eastern orthodox Christians. Since 1935, it has been a museum, and the Christian mosaics are slowly being restored. So much for that objection.

2. It's a space adventure film for children; you can put the thing on a bonfire for all I care.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think your first sentence summed up your post brilliantly. If only you'd stopped there.

4. You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time. No matter what you say and do, someone will get the hump about it.

5. Where did you copy and paste this from??

6. This was covered on ARRSE when it happened.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Well I'm off to the local war memorial to demonstrate.

What am I upset about again?

8. Bacon and egg sandwich with 5 rashers of smoked bacon, bloody lovely. Now I'm going to make some strongbow into piss.

9. Just read this morning that Schwarznegger is making a fifth Terminator film. Now that should be stopped on the grounds that it's offensive to Muslims since the Terminators are obviously based on Islamic fundamentalist suicide bombers. Also Arnie is 65 now and will make a ridiculously unbelievable Terminator.

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

11. He can get tooled up with zimmer frames.

12. I suspect that the fat pie eating lookalike **** Prescott objected too.

On the grounds that he wasn't getting a sales %.

13. This has been making the rounds. The e-mail I received announcing the withdrawal of Jabba The Hutt's Palace from toy shops (using the exact same language as shown here) even had a picture of the Hagia Sophia sat next to a picture of Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine to demonstrate the similarities in construction of the buildings. Presumably to identify what the Moslems were complaining about. For my part if there is any truth to this story and moslem anger has been a factor in forcing Lego to remove a children's toy from the marketplace, I don't care. I don't play with Star Wars toys and have not for a very long time. As for editing out Jabba's palace from the Star War movies, I'd say that would not be possible. There have been so many copies made of the movie in which it appears that you could never get them all. I would say the beardy-weirdies will just have to take it and like it.

14. Nonsense.

There are no Moslems in Star Wars because it is set in the future.

• Like Like x 1