Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

J Battery

commsbloke

Swinger
I would like to find some info about my grandfather who served with J battery in the 1940's. Do nominal roll's still exist for that period? or is there a website which would have details of battles and campaigns that he would have been in.
I am currently serving and would love to present my grandmother with some history of his service life as she has a very poor memory from that period.
Many thanks

Don't know if this is any use

amazon

It's listed as a history of J Bty but there's something wrong with my firewall at the moment, so I can't get any further details.

This book is a general history of 3 RHA from 39 to 45

3 RHA book

There is also the book "The Years of Defeat 1939-41" by Gen Sir Martin Farndale in the History of the RA series, ISBN 1-857530802, which your local library might be able to get for you.

It mentions J Bty a few times as an AT Bty with 3 RHA in the desert. AFAIK the follow up book dealing with the Western Europe campaign hasn't been written yet.

Kind regards

Fluffy