Ive Never Seen my Dad.

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by jennifermaynard, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Im Jen Im hoping that just maybe some one can help me out.

Im a proud Daugther whoms Dad died when I was only a year old.
    My Dad died of cancer back in 1976/1977

His Name is Leslie Thomas Joseph Maynard he was in the 3/6 Regiment Royal Engeneers Reserve Bomb Disposal Stationed at Maidstone
    (Chattenden) HQ.
    He left the army back in 1973 I was hoping that there might be the chance that some of you go back around at that time and was in the same regament to remember him or knew him.
    He had a mate called Charlie Hodgson maybe you are out there some where?.
    I have never had the chance to see my dad and would love to get hold of a picture of him lined up in those army get together pictures that you lot have done.
    I have written to the army but with no joy.
    Hope to hear from some one soon thank you for reading this.
    Regards Jen.
  2. I have some more info about my dad just in case.

He died at the age of 28 the same year as I was born in 1976. He was married to Rita lilan Maynard or known as Lilan Maynard.

They had my brother a few years before me his name was also Leslie Maynard.

Dad & Mum also lived on army barracks at the time. not sure which one, will have to find out more on that.
    When he finished in the army he started work with british steel.

Thanks for reading this.
    Regards Jen
  3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You would be better off posting in the RE Forum. I have notified the mod to try and move it.
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Sappers: Sensible and helpful replies only please.

Jennifer: See also the links in the Sticky section above for other Sapper veterans sites that may be able to help.

5. before my time sorry jennifer.

but there are some older & bolder amongst us here who may have heard of/met your father.

have you tried any of the EOD websites????

good luck.
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As well as posting in the RE forum perhaps you could also change the title of the thread to 'Looking for friends of the late Leslie Thomas Joseph Maynard RE'

Pursue the other website suggestions - you could also write to SOLDIER magazine.

Good Luck.
  7. Another potential avenue of investigation might be to arrange someone in the unit (does it still exist? Sorry. I'm not a Sapper) to walk the corridors and take a peek at any photos; you never know, what you're after could be hanging in an offcie somewhere.

Do military photographers have archives of Regt photos that they have taken?
  8. Hello matey,

British Steel is now this company;

Where did he work - Wales or elsewhere?
  9. Visit your library and look at the obituary column in the paper for the date he died. It may give clues as to attended the funeral and where from etc. Just another one of the many avenues open