I've missed the point .....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by legs-o-lead, Jul 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, I've not paid much attention to Afghanistan to be honest, much to my shame, but the other day it dawned on me I have no fecking idea at all why we are out there.

Can anyone enlighten me on the mission statement, aims, ambitions etc ?

2. Are you in a Government Cabinet position?

3. Why, would it help ?

4. No not at all. Especially if you were in the former government who patently had even less idea than you do......

Curiously, now we have a government that has set an objective and a timescale to achieve it, everybody want to criticise them for doing so.

5. Status quo then

6. Initially to apease lap dog Bliars owner G Dubya. Now, who knows.

7. Not at all, old chap. According to the Metro (quality loo-roll) it's Karzai's idea to get everyone out.

Karzai wants foreign troops out by 2014 | Metro.co.uk

'Ok, peoples, party's over. Me and Mrs Karzai have long day ahead trying for make peace with political renegades and aggressive savages. Thanks for the dip made of 314 Brits' blood, but now we need for go to bed!'

Am I mistaken about who's idea it was to withdraw troops?

(Thanks for your patience here legs_, we will get 'round to discussing your actual question at some point)

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The Official Line, as taken from the Government website:
    UK and Afghanistan

Why we are in Afghanistan
    Afghanistan is this government's highest foreign policy and national security priority. It is essential that we contribute to the international campaign there.

When the Taliban ruled Afghanistan, they let al Qaeda use it as a base for terrorist attacks - including 9/11. The Taliban were driven out of power by international forces and many al Qaeda leaders - including Usama Bin Laden - fled to the border areas of Pakistan. Al Qaeda is under great pressure from international forces and from the Government of Pakistan.

Though reduced, al Qaeda still poses a significant and real terrorist threat from this region. And if international forces left Afghanistan now, the threat to us and the region would rise; the Taliban could again wrest control of parts of the country from the Afghan Government and al Qaeda would return. So the reason our troops and civilians are working with the Government of Afghanistan is simple – to stop that from happening – for our national security.

What is the strategy?
    Working with the Government of Afghanistan, an international coalition of over 60 countries is pursuing a combined civilian-military strategy. We want the Afghan Government to be in control of their own country so they can protect their people from the violent insurgency and stop al Qaeda from returning.

International and Afghan forces are working together to protect the most populated areas from the Taliban. International forces are training up the Afghan army and police so that they grow strong enough to gradually take charge of security for themselves.

Security is vital because it means the Afghan Government can be more effective, can improve the economy, healthcare and education for its people. The Government’s ability to deliver these improvements undermines the Taliban – which in turn prevents al Qaeda from returning.

Our strategy has seen progress. Al Qaeda’s capability has been reduced by the international pressure in Afghanistan and Pakistan. President Karzai has made improvements to his government, Afghan security forces are growing and the majority of Afghans expect their lives to improve over the next year.

Yes, yes, I know it's boring and official (officious?) sounding - but it's the best I could find. In short, we're there to stop Alky Ada getting back, and if and when the Talibs ever said that they would not allow AQ back in (and we believed them), we'd be set to go.

Where a continuous round of fighting a load of anti locals, Pakistani Jihadists, and corrupt Afghans comes in, God only knows. Anyway, that's the official story, for what it's worth.

9. I'm probably being a bit dense but I couldn't see a date for Karzai's comments? resumably made before Camerons statement of intent?
    Regardless of that, Cameron has stated the UK governments intentions and has been criticised for doing so, that was the point I was making.
    Personally I have no problem with Cameron saying he wants the UK to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014/15

10. America's fig leaf

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Except that in a COIN Op it always gives succour to your enemies if you announce your intention to leave as they assume you have given up and this only encourages them to redouble their efforts to make their victory all the more glorious/bloody.

Cameron has been quite clear to say we are leaving 'IF' the security situation allows it. Unfortunately the press have missed that bit in their enthusiasm to see us thrown out a la Vietnam - which they, the press, see as their finest hour..

12. In return for some possible mining / oil pipeline contracts . . . and of course that all important boost to our Defence Industry that is oh so important for all those jobs back in Blighty. Kerching.

13. I think this is probably one of the best posts on ARRSE for a long time because it asks the simple question everyone is avoiding:

Why are we there and how will we know when we have won.

Personally, I don't think we can 'win'. Personally I don't think the shithole is worth the life of a single one of our servicemen.

14. The question has been studiously avoided because the truthful answer is politically inadmissible, especially now that the Chinese have let themselves in through the open back door, strengthening the multifarious status-quo under Karzai - but crucially not linking themselves to it.

Personally I would have considered all bets to be off so long as Karzai is around at the very least, but what do I know?

15. The problem is, most Afghans will agree with you