Ive met a 49 Para

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Went to my old TAC today and one of the old and bold was wearing a Para badge. I thought it odd as most Para's in Leeds would go to the TAC in Pudsey.

As this guy was leaving a bloke I was chatting with mentioned he'd never been a para and had been an Instructor in the ACF. Don't intend going back to this TAC for another year but any ideas what to do when I do????

p.s. For certain reasons this was a 'real' 49 Para soldier

2. If I remember correctly..... (but I might be wrong!) but ACF Instructors who happen to be Para Badges, wear the Para Badge but with a standard beret. I would wait for an answer from any Para's on the forum, and should this member of 49 be in the wrong beret, I would have a quick chat with his County HQ?

3. I know the cadets who attended the Para Cadet on Edge Lane , Liverpool all wore standard beret with Para badge

4. Not bothered about the para bit, but he's not 49 - the Polar number

5. The system for 10 Para affiliated cadet instructors was Para badge in an ordinary beret, unless the instructor was ex-para. I imagine this was the system generally.

The beret was not mentioned in the original post, was he wearing one or was it a lapel badge or the like?

If he was a Para affiliated cadet instructor, I don't see anything wrong with him wearing an Para lapel badge.

If I knew what the “certain reasons” were, I might be less willing to accept his wearing a Para badge.

6. No beret, just a para badge on the suit, pretty harmless stuff

7. IIRC when I was a kid in the 80's a para regt acf instructor in Hammersmith was allowed to wear the red beret as a thanks for 20 odd years service to the regt in the ACF. I suppose there ma be a few acf adults who have earned one the long way rather than the hard way.

Trotsky

8. Just like the navy blue beret RM cadets wear - not the cabbage green one

9. **** me i'm scared of height's and i don't like cabbages :lol:

10. But if he'd been allowed to wear a beret, he would have had contact with the regular regiment and would attend their functions. Not a Signals unit (he might have been at an OTC function)