Ive been told I have PC AIDS

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Ozduke, Aug 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently my home PC has a Brontok Virus.

Any ideas how to sort it out? I have a geek looking at it now.
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Did you get it sorted?
  4. All good - the geek had a copy of Avast! Nice. Thanks for the tips.
  5. Well, that's what you get when you stick your n*b in any old PC without protection.

Lesson learned, eh? :wink:
  6. Disabling regedit would cause someone who lives in a GUI to panic but leaves you with reg.exe, so from a command prompt just "reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
    then "reg add..." the correct keys to overwrite the evil :twisted: ones.
  7. Understood.
  8. Ha, yeah I'll give you that. :oops:
    It was more of a dig at Harry_monk's post than practical IT advice but doesn't matter know since we kissed and made up. 8)
  9. Going off target a little, but still security, my McAffe has run out, and I am aware they are a bit crap, so I uploaded AVG free, but now need a firewall, Zone alarm seems popular, any others?

Lastly I hear that just unistalling McAffe wont work to rid my system completely?
  10. I'd vote for Zone-alarm. They've been first with new firewall technologies in the past, namely restricting outbound connections like trojans and comparing checksums on allowed programs to stop evil people :twisted: replacing trusted apps with their 0wn.
  11. Cheers zone alarm installed, Mcaffe unistalled, just gotta wait to see if works ^^\'