Ive been told I have PC AIDS

Apparently my home PC has a Brontok Virus.

Any ideas how to sort it out? I have a geek looking at it now.

I've been told I have PC AIDS
Well, that's what you get when you stick your n*b in any old PC without protection.

Lesson learned, eh? :wink:

Harry_Monk said:
Google is your friend :D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q="Brontok+Virus"&meta=

Not sure about above as its one about removing registry entries and according to the info I have on Brontok one of its main things is stopping the Registry Editor from running !

Worth a try though and good luck.
Disabling regedit would cause someone who lives in a GUI to panic but leaves you with reg.exe, so from a command prompt just "reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
then "reg add..." the correct keys to overwrite the evil :twisted: ones.

deadc0de said:
Harry_Monk said:

Not sure about above as its one about removing registry entries and according to the info I have on Brontok one of its main things is stopping the Registry Editor from running !

Disabling regedit would cause someone who lives in a GUI to panic but leaves you with reg.exe, so from a command prompt just "reg query HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon"
Understood.

looney said:
deadc0de said:
Harry_Monk said:

Understood.
Ha, yeah I'll give you that. :oops:
It was more of a dig at Harry_monk's post than practical IT advice but doesn't matter know since we kissed and made up. 8)

Going off target a little, but still security, my McAffe has run out, and I am aware they are a bit crap, so I uploaded AVG free, but now need a firewall, Zone alarm seems popular, any others?

Lastly I hear that just unistalling McAffe wont work to rid my system completely?

I'd vote for Zone-alarm. They've been first with new firewall technologies in the past, namely restricting outbound connections like trojans and comparing checksums on allowed programs to stop evil people :twisted: replacing trusted apps with their 0wn.

Forgot to mention, Zonealarm blocks everything by default which initially is frustrating but once all your legit apps have access makes perfect sense and you get less bugging prompts "trojan.exe wants to connect to the network: Y or N"

Agreed. Zone Alarm is one of the best. I've been using it for years. Takes some getting used to.

I find Hijack this people are really useful if I have a bad virus. There is one chap called Bricat who is really helpful. You down load the programme from the net - google and run it it produces a log which you post on the web and they tell you what to do.

leveller said:
Cheers zone alarm installed, Mcaffe unistalled, just gotta wait to see if works ^^\'
You should be aware that Zone Alarm is a FireWall, it is not AntiVirus.

Zone Alarm is great - I've used it for many years; but you still need virus protection - try AVG (free & recommended by many)