ITV To kill comedy?

I could listen to Katherine Ryan tells jokes for hours.....

If she was sat on my face ;)

They sometimes preface Goon Show episodes with 'be aware the humour is very much of it's time' which usually means a Bannergee/Mukhargee exchange or some witty banter involving Ray Ellington turning white (or not ) with shock
There is one scene where Ray Ellington plays a soldier (branching out from singing songs like "The Crocodile Crawl"). A Sellers Character (Bloodnok?) and another character (played by some one who eludes me) have an exchange to the following effect.

"How did HE get in a Scottish Regiment?"

"He lied about his age."

EDIT

Heres a sample of Ray Ellingtons voice.

Last edited:
That used to be very good.Then in what I can only assume was an effort to appear like a”normal family” they got married,had kids and the very poor comedy writing left them all floundering.
Not Going Out was really good,very witty and sharp. Even Katy Wix was funny. For some reason they brought in that Miranda woman,and she was crap. Then they turned it into My Family and just finished it off.
Men Behaving Badly started on ITV when Harry Enfield was in it.

Today we have for comedy Richard ayowanke and rogan Romansh?or something like that. todays tame effnicks and Dara O brian. theres a few boxes ticked.
and you've only to look at the Dave channel to see the panel show gyppos who appear on each others show and Nothing funny amongst the lot of them.
and don't start me on that Sarah Milligan.

Today we have for comedy Richard ayowanke and rogan Romansh?or something like that. todays tame effnicks and Dara O brian. theres a few boxes ticked.
and you've only to look at the Dave channel to see the panel show gyppos who appear on each others show and Nothing funny amongst the lot of them.
and don't start me on that Sarah Milligan.
Dara O’ Braian is extremely good live.

Errrrrmmm, what comedy shows does ITV make?

I can’t think of any.

That is a genuine question. I don’t know if ITV still do ‘comedy’. I think they do light entertainment shows like Ant & Dec but not real comedy shows so where is the loss?

You're forgetting...………….
Well there's……………...err.

Nope I don't watch ITV, isn't it just wall to wall Coronation Street/Emmerdale and occasionally they stick The Chase on to give the soap writers a short break?

Well there's……………...err.

Nope I don't watch ITV, isn't it just wall to wall Coronation Street/Emmerdale and occasionally they stick The Chase on to give the soap writers a short break?
I couldn’t tell you the last ITV show that I regularly watched. I used to prefer ITV when I was a kid, but it just gets flicked past now.

Not really laughed at much since Black Books. New stuff is all too forced. The search for a formula for what's funny and repeating it. Just find people who are naturally funny (just go into any factory, warehouse, building site) grab the bod that's keeping them grinning and stick 'em in front of a camera. Real life is a shit load funnier than anything honed, crafted and rehearsed.
The "What we do in the shadows" tv series has it's moments, and that's pretty recent albeit a BBC production

Not really laughed at much since Black Books. New stuff is all too forced. The search for a formula for what's funny and repeating it. Just find people who are naturally funny (just go into any factory, warehouse, building site) grab the bod that's keeping them grinning and stick 'em in front of a camera. Real life is a shit load funnier than anything honed, crafted and rehearsed.
I have worked on some of the most horrendous dirtiest shit hole building sites, factory's, steel works, smelting plants and power stations imaginable, in conditions that mayhew and Dickens would recognise , the only redeeming feature was the banter, good natured piss taking and humour, especially in the canteen at break time, the funniest were the lads from the north, had us all in stitches, my cockney persona helped it along, bad jobs made tolerable by humour, the shitter the job, the funnier the lads,..........human nature.

Last edited:
I have worked on some of the most horrendous dirtiest shit hole building sites, factory's, steel works, smelting plants and power stations imaginable, in conditions that mayhew and dickens would recognise , the only redeeming feature was the banter, good natured piss taking and humour, especially in the canteen at break time, the funniest were the lads from the north, had us all in stitches, my cockney persona helped it along, bad jobs made tolerable by humour, the shitter the job, the funnier the lads,..........human nature.
Isn't that how that hilarious "Scouser", John Bishop started?

He died, in 1983..........permanent retirement!

Late edit to add:- Memory jog......Dick emery done some filming at 10 sigs in the very early 70,s and somewhere there is a photo of him standing in front of an Austin K9 D11 radio truck, one of 4, of which I drove when stationed there from 73-76. Years later, I was walking into the offices of london management , in regents street, run by billy marsh, the legendary booking agent to the stars, and coming out was dick emery with two girls, one on each arm, hellos were exchanged. After he died it transpired that his body had been stored in a garage for a week or two prior to burial, it caused a shit storm in the media.

bcsack

Old-Salt
Seeing as the whole country is a joke nowadays - not much point in even turning the TV on.
The snowflakes & lefties seem intent on giving the country away. At this rate it'll be like Zimbabwe in
50 years time !!

Well there's……………...err.

Your Avatar was one of the best and still makes me laugh when I see Stan and Laurel on the telly

Latest Threads