ITV News- No Election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Oct 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

2. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

So Broon is Yellow, just like the rest of the clowns in his cabinet. Obviously he is in politics for himself no matter what further damage he does!

Hopefully this will be remembered in 2 years time when he eventually goes to the polls.

3. Reading the title of this thread I was expecting that Brown had declared himself as Der Führer and we wouldn't be needing elections anymore.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Exactly, he has well and truely shot himself in the foot over this!

5. Plastic Gordon bottles it. Will he still be wearing his habitual smug expression next time we see him on the news?

6. Erm - wait a minute I seem to remember trudging to the polls only 2 years ago and now everyones criticising Brown for waiting a few months!

Best decision I think and gives a chance for other parties to make their case for why they would be any better than the current lot.

Regards

BM

7. Cowardly bastard.

8. There was no call for one. We elect Parties, not Prime Ministers.

Better this then setting a precedent for flippant elections with little reason other then political opportuntism from the two main parties. (At least previous examples had valid reasons)

Best decision, this way the Tories can make their case over a longer term rather then a few rushed announcements at their conference, and Cameron can do a better job at convincing us whether or not he's worth putting into Number 10.

9. In an ideal world I'd agree. Let's see how much influence the outpouring of Tory policy has on the tawt in charge tho.

10. I agree with Perevodchick and would, perhaps, go further.

What if the whole exercise was to get the Tories to commit to some policies, even more, have them announce the policies they had perhaps wanted to keep close to their chests.

Labour has gained much whilst losing nothing - and I speak as one who thought there would be an election.

11. I thought exactly the same thing watching Cameron last week mate. Are New Liabour competent enough to pull off that level of disinformation?

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Very risky gamble by Cyclops. Is it likley that the economic position will get better over the next 2 years? Doubtful.
    ill calls for a referendum go away? Again, doubtful.

As Ian Hislop said on Question time, GB hesitated for years about when to finally stab Tony in the back, why should he be more decisive now?

13. How can you state that? It appears to me that Labour are looking more damaged by this decision than the Tories.

PS: I don't count the Lib-Dems as a serious challenge, although I have to say Ming the Merciless has impressed me with his verbals over the past few days.

14. Because they have forced the Tories to reveal their strategic direction and at the same time, turned them through the requisite 90 degrees.

15. Well I think this is rather good news. It means that the conservative’s have time to get rid of the soppy tit currently in charge and get someone with the balls to stand up for the Country. Europe, immigration and the NHS are the issues that need addressing they shouldn’t be afraid to mention them.
    Bring back Billy Hague (if he hasn’t had all the fight sucked out of him).