ITV News- No Election

diplomat

MIA
Book Reviewer
So Broon is Yellow, just like the rest of the clowns in his cabinet. Obviously he is in politics for himself no matter what further damage he does!

Hopefully this will be remembered in 2 years time when he eventually goes to the polls.

R

Reversionary_Modes

Plastic Gordon bottles it. Will he still be wearing his habitual smug expression next time we see him on the news?

Erm - wait a minute I seem to remember trudging to the polls only 2 years ago and now everyones criticising Brown for waiting a few months!

Best decision I think and gives a chance for other parties to make their case for why they would be any better than the current lot.

Regards

BM

There was no call for one. We elect Parties, not Prime Ministers.

Better this then setting a precedent for flippant elections with little reason other then political opportuntism from the two main parties. (At least previous examples had valid reasons)

Best decision, this way the Tories can make their case over a longer term rather then a few rushed announcements at their conference, and Cameron can do a better job at convincing us whether or not he's worth putting into Number 10.

I agree with Perevodchick and would, perhaps, go further.

What if the whole exercise was to get the Tories to commit to some policies, even more, have them announce the policies they had perhaps wanted to keep close to their chests.

Labour has gained much whilst losing nothing - and I speak as one who thought there would be an election.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Very risky gamble by Cyclops. Is it likley that the economic position will get better over the next 2 years? Doubtful.
ill calls for a referendum go away? Again, doubtful.

As Ian Hislop said on Question time, GB hesitated for years about when to finally stab Tony in the back, why should he be more decisive now?

Sven said:

What if the whole exercise was to get the Tories to commit to some policies, even more, have them announce the policies they had perhaps wanted to keep close to their chests.

Labour has gained much whilst losing nothing - and I speak as one who thought there would be an election.
How can you state that? It appears to me that Labour are looking more damaged by this decision than the Tories.

PS: I don't count the Lib-Dems as a serious challenge, although I have to say Ming the Merciless has impressed me with his verbals over the past few days.

Well I think this is rather good news. It means that the conservative’s have time to get rid of the soppy tit currently in charge and get someone with the balls to stand up for the Country. Europe, immigration and the NHS are the issues that need addressing they shouldn’t be afraid to mention them.
Bring back Billy Hague (if he hasn’t had all the fight sucked out of him).

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Sven said:

I don't know I'd say raising inheritance to 1m will be a version of the '79 right to buy coup. There's a whole heap of people who will benefit from this proposed policy; I was always told the way to really hurt someone is to hit them in the wallet, I'd imagine the opposite is also true?

Broon has shown great weakness and he has had to make a humiliating retreat, isnt it the tax payer who pays for the cost of holding an election but these guys are not bothered about wasting our money. :?

Gutless Gordon, well out of his depth since he stepped into President Blair's shoes.
The best outcome would have been an election followed by a hung parliament...
Or should that have read 'hanged parliament' ?
Flippancy aside; Brown will probably prove to be a bumbling nonentity as Prime Minister and should have been held to account now for his failure to curb or even speak out against the worst of Blair's sins and his own cynical plundering of incomes and pensions through taxation.
Cameron is simply the lesser of two evils. He has at least professed a concern for the armed forces and wants a referendum on the latest EU insanity. He is also against ID cards. I would vote for him, but without any high hopes of significantly better times as a consequence.

Gutless Gordon Broon, still has to destroy the rest of the armed forces before he'll be willing to hold a General Election. So I would say, keep your eyes on Feb 2008.

Latest Threads