ITV News 22:30 21/09/2006

Good piece just been on by a ITN News Team on the ground .... Ambush

Bill Neely's blog
7.30, Thu Sep 21 2006

ITN's International Editor Bill Neely and ITN cameraman Eugene Campbell have been shot at by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

They were travelling by Chinook helicopter from the British base at Camp Bastion to Sangin, landing just outside it at first light. They are the first journalists to spend any significant amount of time in the base since July.
Bill and Eugene were on board one of two Chinooks which came under attack almost immediately. He takes up the story below.

BILL'S TALE:

"There had been intelligence that the Taliban were targeting helicopters that landed to resupply the Sangin base. There is a landing area inside the base, but a decision had been taken to land our helicopters about 800 metres away from the base and overnight several dozen men and a Scimitar light tank had been sent out to secure the desert landing area.
"At first light the two Chinooks accompanied by two Apache attack helicopters landed with supplies. Seconds after we got off one of the Chinooks, while the other one was still in the air, the Taliban attacked.
"I heard sustained bursts of small arms fire, and saw one rocket propelled grenade flying over our heads at a height of about twelve feet. Another bounced off the ground close to us and landed in a nearby river.
"The British troops who had secured the landing area - and those who got off the helicopter - began firing back. About a dozen Afghan soldiers also fired weapons including RPGs. The firing was intense. The Apaches circled overhead and began to target the Taliban, firing sustained bursts into the trees where the Taliban were based. In all, the firing lasted about 20 minutes. From the base at Sangin, the troops fired 81 mm mortars. None of the British troops were injured and they claim to have killed at least three Taliban fighters.
"This is a base that is attacked every day. But this is the first time in many months that there's been an attack on helicopters."
BILL'S IMPRESSIONS:
"It was very hairy. Especially when I saw an RPG coming towards me, but I didn't feel that at any time the British troops were not on top of the situation.
"Everyone got back to the base safely. In fact, there wasn't a scratch on anyone.
"I asked if the troops had been surprised by the attack, he told me: 'When it comes, it's still a shock but not a surprise.'"
EUGENE:
"We had just landed and were physically manhandling the equipment onto vehicles when we came under heavy attack from rocket propelled grenades and gunfire - at which point all hell broke loose. The sky was lit up with tracers - both coming our way and going their way.
"We were under the wing of the officers in charge who took complete control of the situation - securing safe passage into the base."

Edited to show links and story

That's a scared looking reporter.... :)

Good piece though... Amusing to see Brit helos flying in, and 'prepping with fire', just like the Yanks we all despise...

Good piece.

Has officialdom changed its mind about allowing reporters in country, or was it all an attempt by the press to villify the army for it being a low priority as cargo into the bases????

My other question is - will that BBC press wallah now get off his arrse in Kabul and see what it is like at the sharp end

Just saw it, it was good. Hopefully, eye-opening for the civvies who believe Blair about us not fighting a "war".

Pity the picture wasnt better, the cameraman must have crapped himself and dropped it.

And it was good to hear the dulcet tones of a fellow Ulsterman in charge. :wink:

But, I found the reporter talking to supposedly "segregated" muslims in america to find out why "multi-culture-ism" doesnt work and why they are so "integrated".

Duh, the yankee muslims actually accept the culture of their new country and adopt to fit in whilst following the beliefs of theirs which fit in a civilised society, despite the fact they like to form communities with others just like em. Whereas multiculturalism means you stick lots of groups of people with different cultures that are mutually exclusive and try to accomodate the ones that are more likely to blow you up on the way to your crappy job in a call-centre.

Though I seriously doubt the great unwashed gave a damn about either of these stories as they dont involve some moron who earns a load of money or sits in a house for several months doing feck all.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Who were the loadmasters firing at whilst they were flying along ?
It seemed as though there was some time in between them peppering the LZ and actually arriveing
Plus if the LZ needs softening up ala 1st Air Cav in Vietnam shouldn't the Apachies do it?

Tell me it wasn't a Full metal Jacket '' git some mo fo git some''

Any one who runs Taliban
Any one who stands still well disaplined Taliban....................

Catchyerselfon thanks for posting that, deffo a unhappy looking reporter, I have not seen one looking like that since Sarajevo. Very good news that the MOD is finally letting news crews in at least when the lads return people will know that they have been fighting.

The lads look a bit thin of face.

I hope this is forgivable - I posted this earlier, on another thread (Magazine apologises for seeking Photogenic War Widows at http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=859690.html#859690

but it fits here as well.

Stonker said:
From ARRC around 1996

Rule 1 Never trust a Frenchman.
Rule 2 Treat all members of the press as Frenchmen.

You will, of course recall that the press were all over good old Big Brave Bob when he was CO of the Cheshires in B_H during some of the toughest UNPROFOR times there.

When he came home, they re-named him Bonking Bob and ate him alive.

Deep down the press are less interested in the facts than in a a story which will help their career profile - even the best of them.

How about Kate Adie, reporting a major funeral in Andytown in 88.

She's a UK citizen so she is bound by the same common law obligation to aid in the capture of thieves and murderers that was the basis of soldier's legal powers in the province.

She watched, and her (licence-fee funded) camera crew filmed, as 2 young R Signals JNCOs were beaten by an angry crowd, then dragged away, stripped and shot with their own pistol.

"Oohh no" says Adie - "couldn't possibly let you have our film - must protect my sources - journalistic privilege".

Leeches, every one of them.

If they do you a good turn, just remember it's nothing personal. :evil:
I read somewhere recently (might have been in 'War Junkie' by a TV cameraman who flipeed out after doing back-to-backs in Sarajevo, Sierra Leone and Chechnya) a line about "most journos think the most important thing about a story is that they have turned up to report it".

I dunno why, but the line instantly brought that ITV bloke Julian Manyon to mind.

And JM - if you're reading this and you don't like it - how does it feel to be on the receiving end of an ill-informed opinion? 8)

Stonker said:
I dunno why, but the line instantly brought that ITV bloke Julian Manyon to mind.
....it's THAT voice. Does he always have to sound like he's gargling bogeys when he speaks? Or actually it just maybe that he's sh1t scared?

Stonker said:
Storeman Norman said:
Stonker said:
....it's THAT voice. Does he always have to sound like he's gargling bogeys when he speaks? Or actually it just maybe that he's sh1t scared?
My money's on option 2
It's all very well being sniffy about journalists but without them we'd all be forced to rely on government propaganda and also a lot of them have much more experience in war zones than anyone in the British Army

Temple said:
It's all very well being sniffy about journalists but without them we'd all be forced to rely on government propaganda and also a lot of them have much more experience in war zones than anyone in the British Army
Oh! Fcuk me! I doff my hat in humble acquiescence. The mighty journalist who remains above the tedious muck raking and obsfucation of politicians! The men and women who can be relied upon to tell it like it is! Gotcha!

As for their experience - that is a joke - right?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Temple said:
Proword NOWAH

You're a little out of date with that gem, but by 'experience' do you mean being in a country that is de facto at war, or being actively involved in contacts ?

Temple said:
. . . sure. But they can often pretty much dip in and out of the war when they feel the need: they're usually not stuck in it the way that the troops are. Read Michael Herr's DISPATCHES for a real creepy autobiographical view exposition of war tourism*.

Nor are they commonly concerned with complexity or subtlety: I have thrice had to listen to Ms Adie - as a guest of the Corps Commander - excusing herself for this failing on the grounds that:
"It's not OUR fault that editors will only give us a 2 minute slot. It's nout OUR fault that the public wants to see good guys in white hats and bad guys in black hats." and a whole list of other "it's not OUR fault"s.

I began to think she must be a Serb.

Remember that polictical judgments that dictate the conduct and resourcing of military campaigns are based on public perceptions conditioned by the fragmented reporting of journos whose principal focus is on their own careers.

Recognise the limits they place on what they do and trust them at your peril. 8)

* Herr was advisor on the set of "Apocalypse Now" - the weird bridge scene with the black dude and M79 is straight out of his book.