ITV News 22:30 21/09/2006

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by snapper, Sep 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good piece just been on by a ITN News Team on the ground .... Ambush

Edited to show links and story

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Shall we just guess what it was about then, or will you provide at least a synopsis and preferably a link, as is the custom?

3. Oh thats cleared that up then!
    What ground? What team? What piece?
    What are you going on about?

4. That's a scared looking reporter.... :)

Good piece though... Amusing to see Brit helos flying in, and 'prepping with fire', just like the Yanks we all despise...

5. Good piece.

Has officialdom changed its mind about allowing reporters in country, or was it all an attempt by the press to villify the army for it being a low priority as cargo into the bases????

My other question is - will that BBC press wallah now get off his arrse in Kabul and see what it is like at the sharp end

6. Just saw it, it was good. Hopefully, eye-opening for the civvies who believe Blair about us not fighting a "war".

Pity the picture wasnt better, the cameraman must have crapped himself and dropped it.

And it was good to hear the dulcet tones of a fellow Ulsterman in charge. :wink:

But, I found the reporter talking to supposedly "segregated" muslims in america to find out why "multi-culture-ism" doesnt work and why they are so "integrated".

Duh, the yankee muslims actually accept the culture of their new country and adopt to fit in whilst following the beliefs of theirs which fit in a civilised society, despite the fact they like to form communities with others just like em. Whereas multiculturalism means you stick lots of groups of people with different cultures that are mutually exclusive and try to accomodate the ones that are more likely to blow you up on the way to your crappy job in a call-centre.

Though I seriously doubt the great unwashed gave a damn about either of these stories as they dont involve some moron who earns a load of money or sits in a house for several months doing feck all.

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Who were the loadmasters firing at whilst they were flying along ?
    It seemed as though there was some time in between them peppering the LZ and actually arriveing
    Plus if the LZ needs softening up ala 1st Air Cav in Vietnam shouldn't the Apachies do it?

Tell me it wasn't a Full metal Jacket '' git some mo fo git some''

Any one who runs Taliban
    Any one who stands still well disaplined Taliban....................

8. Catchyerselfon thanks for posting that, deffo a unhappy looking reporter, I have not seen one looking like that since Sarajevo. Very good news that the MOD is finally letting news crews in at least when the lads return people will know that they have been fighting.

The lads look a bit thin of face.

9. I hope this is forgivable - I posted this earlier, on another thread (Magazine apologises for seeking Photogenic War Widows at http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=859690.html#859690

but it fits here as well.

I read somewhere recently (might have been in 'War Junkie' by a TV cameraman who flipeed out after doing back-to-backs in Sarajevo, Sierra Leone and Chechnya) a line about "most journos think the most important thing about a story is that they have turned up to report it".

I dunno why, but the line instantly brought that ITV bloke Julian Manyon to mind.

And JM - if you're reading this and you don't like it - how does it feel to be on the receiving end of an ill-informed opinion? 8)

10. ....it's THAT voice. Does he always have to sound like he's gargling bogeys when he speaks? Or actually it just maybe that he's sh1t scared?

11. My money's on option 2

12. It's all very well being sniffy about journalists but without them we'd all be forced to rely on government propaganda and also a lot of them have much more experience in war zones than anyone in the British Army

13. Oh! Fcuk me! I doff my hat in humble acquiescence. The mighty journalist who remains above the tedious muck raking and obsfucation of politicians! The men and women who can be relied upon to tell it like it is! Gotcha!

As for their experience - that is a joke - right?

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Proword NOWAH

You're a little out of date with that gem, but by 'experience' do you mean being in a country that is de facto at war, or being actively involved in contacts ?